Windows 10: CENTOS 7 VM - GUI package manager

Discus and support CENTOS 7 VM - GUI package manager in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi there If any of you are installing some LINUX distros as VM's I recommend if you decide on CENTOS 7 to install YUMEX - a graphical package... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Feb 29, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

CENTOS 7 VM - GUI package manager

Hi there

If any of you are installing some LINUX distros as VM's I recommend if you decide on CENTOS 7 to install YUMEX - a graphical package manager.

CENTOS 7 VM - GUI package manager [​IMG]

Add the nux-dextop repo to your repositories -- this is a Windows Forum so I won't get into the mechanics of this here --google for it if you are stuck. This will give you all the multi-media stuff such as VLC etc.

Makes installing software on CENTOS 7 like a breeze - does all the checking for requisites and other dependencies.

(Wish Windows had an equivalent).

Add of course the EPEL one as well.

Don't forget also to add package ntfs-3g to read and write Windows file systems. (Fat 32 is already installed by default but if you want to access external Windows / NTFS USB HDD's for example formatted with NTFS).

Have fun

IMO CENTOS 7 is the most stable Linux package available for home users -- based 100% on RED HAT SERVER which is used hugely in the commercial world. CENTOS is now 100% supported by RED HAT and 100% comapatible with RED HAT Enterprise server (so won't always have the latest and greatest stuff - but 100% STABLE).

Use KDE or GNOME if you want a "Windows like interface" but also works headless with CLI too. Great for a NAS server. PLEX runs great on it.

The only drawback is if you run it Native - WIFI is "Iffy" -- INTEL USB WIFI adapters work as does the small Netgear (Aka Belkin 300N micro adapter) which might be sufficient - otherwise difficult to find WIFI adapters that work with it --- ASUS ac56 says it works - compiles OK but actually doesn't work !!! - but it's a SERVER so use LAN. !!!

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Feb 29, 2016

2. Cannot turn off Hyper V, cannot run Virtual Box machines or VMWare machines

hyper v with vm ware trying to run centos? just to clarify...

by the way im stil using centos6, is 7 good?

Yuri Nathan, Feb 29, 2016
  3. R. Naams Win User
    Hyper-V losing network after adding CPU cores

I am using Hyper-V on Windows 10 with an CentOS 7 client. When I add one or more cores to the VM always loses the network connection.

Why do I lose the network connection?

I reinstalled the VM with the same result.

When I return to 1 core, the network is back again.

R. Naams, Feb 29, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

Windows has. Not a graphical user interface but other than that, a very practical and easy to use package management system OneGet. I just reinstalled build 14271 tonight, installed all my software silently on the background with one command, without a need to click a "Next" or "Continue" or "Would you like to install this software, too?" button once. One command, hit Enter and go get coffee while all your software installs.

An example, a silent install on the background without any whatsoever PUPs, clicks or selections, to install a bunch of software with one command using PowerShell OneGet in Windows 10:

Code: Install-Package VLC, GoogleChrome, Opera, Firefox, 7zip, Notepadplusplus, Skype, SkypeForBusiness, Office365Business, AdobeReader, Adobe-Creative-Cloud, Paint.net, Malwarebytes, Teamviewer, Steam, Rufus -Force[/quote]

Kari, Mar 1, 2016
Thema:

1. CENTOS 7 VM - GUI package manager - Similar Threads - CENTOS GUI package

2. Windows 10 UEFI centos 7 added to dbx

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 UEFI centos 7 added to dbx: HI, I had installed Centos 7 along with Windows 10 with secure boot on in uefi mode.Windows:Edition Windows 10 Pro Version 21H2 OS build 19044.2006 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4180.0 Centos 7:CentOS-7-x86_64-DVD-2009.iso from...
  3. Bulk install Windows apps with Winstall GUI for Windows Package Manager

in Windows 10 News
    Bulk install Windows apps with Winstall GUI for Windows Package Manager: [ATTACH]When it comes to installing multiple Windows Apps, there is no easy way out. You will have to find, click on install, and then keep […] This article Bulk install Windows apps with Winstall GUI for Windows Package Manager first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read...
  4. Winstall is a (web) GUI for Windows Package Manager (winget)

in Windows 10 News
    Winstall is a (web) GUI for Windows Package Manager (winget): Microsoft unveiled the open source Windows Package Manager during the virtual Build 2020 conference this week. The command line program allows administrators and users to download, install and manage software applications. It supports installing one or multiple programs, and...
  5. Centos 7 Hard Disk Connect

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Centos 7 Hard Disk Connect: Good morning, please will you help me? I need connect a Centos 7 Hard Disk in Computer with Windows 10 using a USB StarTech, I had been use Paragon Software but I couldn't saw the files, please will you help me? Regards 149187
  6. Centos users update VM / Real machines - polkit error

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Centos users update VM / Real machines - polkit error: Hi folks anybody using CENTOS as a VM will probably get an error when doing a yum update due to some error with packaging in polkit so the update will fail. to fix as root (su) or (sudo) type rpm -e polkit - nodeps after that run the yum update again -- then all fixed....
  7. VM Win 7

VM Win 7: I was going to make a VM with a Win 7 disc I have; I am running Win 10. The disc is OEM so Windows rejected the key I hse to reinstall. Is there a way I can still use Win 7 as the guest without a product key? I will use YouTube as I have never done this before. If not,...
  8. W10 as GUEST on CENTOS Rel 7 HOST -- WORKS !!!!

W10 as GUEST on CENTOS Rel 7 HOST -- WORKS !!!!: deleted - updated in another thread 3451
  9. Switching possibly now from CENTOS to RHEL as server on VM

Switching possibly now from CENTOS to RHEL as server on VM: Hi folks. As it's FREE to join Red Hat developer program I thought I'd do it and download RHEL server (Red Hat) -- RHEL servers are in use in more places than any where else. CENTOS is derived from RHEL but since the server is FREE I thought I'd go for it. No-Cost RHEL...
  10. Dual boot for Win 10, Win 7 and Centos.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual boot for Win 10, Win 7 and Centos.: I would like to install 3 operative system (win 10 - win 7 and centos ) on the same HD in dual boot system. I would like to keep as much as possible the OS separate (no interference) each other and more stable possible. What will be the best way to do it? I should use an...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. gui package manager for centos

2. gui package manager for centos 7