Windows 10: Certain desktop icons suddenly changed sizes with new grey borders

Discus and support Certain desktop icons suddenly changed sizes with new grey borders in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; At some point recently, with no relation to anything I was doing (can't remember exactly what I was doing but it was either playing games on steam I've... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by EveTater, Jul 13, 2018.

1. EveTater Win User

Certain desktop icons suddenly changed sizes with new grey borders

At some point recently, with no relation to anything I was doing (can't remember exactly what I was doing but it was either playing games on steam I've played before, working on word docs, or letting the computer sit afk) a bunch of icons on my desktop shrunk and have a grey border attached. The issue is that not all of them shrunk, there seems to be no reasoning to which ones shrunk. When I set icon sizes to small it removes the grey border and they all seem to be the same size, however my icons are normally at medium, a kind of necessity with a 2k monitor. The only answer I've found (to change the size of all of them to small) simply won't do. I've heard there's no way to individually change sizes of icons however they're different sizes now so there must be some way. I have already tried messing around with icon sizes from Ctrl+scroll, any increment larger than small adds the border and shows a size difference between icons, anything smaller than medium is much smaller than my usual desktop sizes.

:)

EveTater, Jul 13, 2018

2. How to change the size of desktop icons on Windows 10

Hi Dave,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being a part of Windows 10.

I understand your concern about size of desktop icons.

Try the below steps to change of the desktop icons and check if it helps.

• Right click on the desktop, over the mouse on View option.
    • You will find Large icons, Medium icons,
      Small icons
    • Choose the option you wish to.

Hope it helps. Get back to us for further assistance on this issue.

Deepika Gowda, Jul 13, 2018
  3. Mussels Win User
    Change icon size on vista 64

but it works EVERYWHERE, not just icon size.

MSN, IE, firefox, desktop icons, size of icons in folders... EVERYWHERE MUAHAHAHAHAHA

edit: no actually, it doesnt work on real humans breasts or genitals. it only works on windows PC's.

Mussels, Jul 13, 2018
  4. Yolvi Ell Win User

Font and Icon size

Hi Vickie,

It's possible that some settings were accidentally changed, affecting your icons and font size. We'd like to learn more about your concern so that we could provide the proper resolution. We just have a few questions for you:

• Which build version of Windows 10 is on your computer? To check, click
      Start
      , type winver, and press Enter. For example, 14393.1066.
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

As initial recommendation, we suggest following these steps to change the icon size:

• Right-click on an empty space on your desktop.
    • Select View.
    • Choose Medium icons or Small icons, whichever you prefer more.

Additionally, you can change the display size of texts and other items by following these steps:

• Right-click on an empty space on your desktop.
    • Click Display settings.
    • Under Change the size of text, apps, and other items, drag the slider over to 100%.
    • If the slider is already on 100%, click Advanced display settings.
    • Under Resolution, choose the Recommended option from the drop-down choices.

We'll wait for your response to our questions and the results of the initial troubleshooting.

Yolvi Ell, Jul 13, 2018
Thema:

1. Certain desktop icons suddenly changed sizes with new grey borders - Similar Threads - Certain desktop icons

2. Sudden change of certain font sizes on Windows 11.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sudden change of certain font sizes on Windows 11.: I have a issue where some fonts, such as in the explorer but also outside of windows, for example the task bar in Chrome have suddenly decreased in size and there seems to be no way of changing it back. All font size settings that I found change all the other fonts but leave...
  3. Sudden change of certain font sizes on Windows 11.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sudden change of certain font sizes on Windows 11.: I have a issue where some fonts, such as in the explorer but also outside of windows, for example the task bar in Chrome have suddenly decreased in size and there seems to be no way of changing it back. All font size settings that I found change all the other fonts but leave...
  4. Desktop Icon changes size

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Icon changes size: Windows 11 22H2 22621.2134 Public Release versionDoes anyone else have problems with Desktop Icons changing size?I have one icon on my desktop, that when I start my computer displays it's large size. During the course of the day while using my computer, without even touching...
  5. Desktop Icon changes size

Desktop Icon changes size: Windows 11 22H2 22621.2134 Public Release versionDoes anyone else have problems with Desktop Icons changing size?I have one icon on my desktop, that when I start my computer displays it's large size. During the course of the day while using my computer, without even touching...
  6. Desktop icon grid spacing suddenly changed size Windows 10

Desktop icon grid spacing suddenly changed size Windows 10: I was working with my folders, right-clicked on one of the files and chose "Properties" to look at the date of the file.Windows gave the spinning circle, hesitated, and bam, my folders were all closed.I went back to the desktop to reopen the folders I'd been using and...
  7. Desktop icon grid spacing suddenly changed size Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icon grid spacing suddenly changed size Windows 10: I was working with my folders, right-clicked on one of the files and chose "Properties" to look at the date of the file.Windows gave the spinning circle, hesitated, and bam, my folders were all closed.I went back to the desktop to reopen the folders I'd been using and...
  8. Desktop icons changed size?

Desktop icons changed size?: I had my desktop really nice and organised, all the icons were the default size and such. however i took my pc with me on holiday and plugged it into an external TV which in turn changed all my icons around and it changed their size . i thought it would be fine as when i...
  9. Changing the size of desktop icons

Changing the size of desktop icons: Hello, When I place a shortcut to a file on the desktop it assigns the default icon (e.g. Word or Excel icon) and this is approx 80 x 80 pixels. If I then change that icon to one that I've created it displays at approx 40 x 40 pixels (choosing an icon from the icons folder...
  10. Changing icon size on desktop

Changing icon size on desktop: Somehow one of my children changed the icon size of the recycle bin on my desktop screen so it is really large. How do I get it back to the regular size? Thank you....