Windows 10: Certain documents accessed via network opening as "read only"

Discus and support Certain documents accessed via network opening as "read only" in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; On my network I have a desktop and a laptop computer. In the navigation pane of file explorer my desktop computer shows not only my c drive and the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by curt jugg, Aug 24, 2015.

1. curt jugg Win User

Certain documents accessed via network opening as "read only"

On my network I have a desktop and a laptop computer. In the navigation pane of file explorer my desktop computer shows not only my c drive and the users folder but also a folder showing my first name and a folder showing my full name. If I use my laptop to navigate via either of the two latter folders to the documents on my desktop computer the documents open as "read only". If I navigate to my desktop via the c drive or users folder the documents open normally. Can anyone suggest why that may be, please?

:)

curt jugg, Aug 24, 2015

2. Win10 Quirk - Can't Save to Documents folder

Since upgrade to Win10, I can't save a new document to the Documents folder. Originally,, I found my old folders under Documents under Network - they were all there, intact. So, I moved them to the Documents folder under This PC. Whenever I opened an
    Excel file, I could not save it to Documents - had to save as "copy of"... These files, once moved to Documents on This PC became "Read Only".. When I moved the folder back to Network/Documents, they were no longer "Read Only" and could be saved in that
    location. OK - thought "problem solved"... But when I created a new document in Word, I could not save to This PC/Documents - got an error message - nor authorized,, although signed in as Administrator - it did appear in theat folder, but with no data. What
    am I missiong here?

LynnMcCrossen, Aug 24, 2015
  3. can't convert files to pdf

I DID explain the problem. PROBLEM is you didn't read it correctly. Yes, I can convert the document via "Print to PDF", but then I actually HAVE TO PRINT THE DOCUMENT, SCAN and THEN SEND IT AS ATTACHMENT because jusr saving it as "Print to PDF" and then
    sending it as attachment doesn't let people receiving it "open" the document. IS THAT CLEAR ENOUGH!!

BenGordon_691, Aug 24, 2015
  4. Certain documents accessed via network opening as "read only"

In a network, it usually means either some application or someone else is accessing the same document, so you're allowed only read-only privileges. I'm assuming you don't think this is the case.

sciencegeek, Aug 24, 2015
  5. curt jugg Win User
    That's right, and anyway I can open the documents if I access them via my c drive or users folder.

curt jugg, Aug 24, 2015
  6. Could be a bug. I'll see if I can reproduce it.

sciencegeek, Aug 24, 2015
  7. curt jugg Win User
    I think we can regard this as solved. I had problems with Edge closing down immediately after being opened. In the end I reverted to Windows 8.1 and then upgraded to Windows 10 again. Not only did this solve the Edge issue but I found that the two "rogue" folders in File Explorer bearing my name had disappeared and hence the read-only problem. Thanks anyway.

curt jugg, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Certain documents accessed via network opening as "read only"

1. Certain documents accessed via network opening as "read only" - Similar Threads - Certain documents accessed

2. Network Drive Issue - Read only via mapped drive, yet Read/Write if access same shared...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network Drive Issue - Read only via mapped drive, yet Read/Write if access same shared...: Hi,To elaborate on the above question.Two windows 11 pro machines PC 1 & PC 2 connected to routerInitially, the two computers could not access each other on the network, something to do with setting up accounts with pins, and this was covered, and resolved here:-...
  3. Read Only - Documents

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Read Only - Documents: How do I get my documents folder out of Read Only? I have tried going into properties and unchecking the Read Only, then apply but it is still saying Read Only https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/read-only-documents/3a734612-b28b-4453-ae9b-32314aceb64f
  4. Read Only - Documents

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Read Only - Documents: How do I get my documents folder out of Read Only? I have tried going into properties and unchecking the Read Only, then apply but it is still saying Read Only https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/read-only-documents/3a734612-b28b-4453-ae9b-32314aceb64f
  5. Read Only - Documents

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Read-only documents

Read-only documents: When I attempt to save new documents in Word 2019, the "read-only" check box is always selected. How do I change my file properties, so that all my new documents can be edited, and/or deleted?...
  7. read only documents

read only documents: After upgrading to Windows 10 and restoring my documents they are now all read-only. how can I reverse this so I can open and edit? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/read-only-documents/29e2e95a-8c1e-4484-ada3-56d06e2b487f"
  8. read only document

read only document: How do I change my document from a read only https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/read-only-document/1a578271-3dea-4ac2-aed1-3a6b1f0634ea"
  9. Read-only documents

in Windows 10 Customization
    Read-only documents: I am frustrated when opening a document and it had defaulted to read-only. I would like to remove that feature permanently. I don't always find the need to protect my documents by read-only. Is there a way to change this? I can change it but it won't stay; I find that the...
  10. Read only Documents

Read only Documents: Hello, all my documents in any of my Microsoft office programs are "READ ONLY" and "UPLOAD BLOCKED cannot verify necessary permissions". I haven't changed any settings or anything and all of the sudden this keeps popping up. I need help settings all Microsoft programs...