Windows 10: certain games no longer launching since upgrade to Windows 10

Discus and support certain games no longer launching since upgrade to Windows 10 in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I had five games installed on my son's laptop before upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10. These games were all running perfectly before the upgrade,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Florio, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Florio Win User

certain games no longer launching since upgrade to Windows 10

I had five games installed on my son's laptop before upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10. These games were all running perfectly before the upgrade, but now only two of the five will launch.
    The ones that won't open, just in case anyone is familiar with them, are Gardenscapes, Mortimer Beckett and the Lost King, and Mortimer Beckett and the Crimson Thief.
    They are all still in the Games folder.
    Is there a way of getting them to launch, or will I have to uninstall and then reinstall them?

:)

Florio, Oct 18, 2015

2. Microsoft games not working on Windows 10

My games were working ok upon my upgrade to windows 10 so I don't believe that has anything to do with the games no longer working. I don't get any error messages, it just never launches the game...

KarenStill, Oct 18, 2015
  3. Yousef37 Win User
    Certain PC Games no Longer Work

Some of my games have stopped working. For example, League of Legends. When I get into game, I can't do anything. I can't move my character, level skills, click on the shop, etc. The only things I can
    do are move the cursor, and therefore the camera as well. In order to exit the game I have to alt+tab out and close the window. A similar thing happens in Dark Souls 3. It starts to open but then displays the message "Dark Souls 3 has stopped working", then
    it closes. I have had this problem before, and I was able to fix it by restarting my computer every time I went on it. After a while, this stopped working for some reason. As a result, I had to system reset my computer (I chose to keep my personal apps and
    files). This fixed it, until yesterday. I found that the problem was to do with a windows update, which I stopped from installing again. I thought this fixed the problem, but it came back today. I've tried doing system restores, uninstalling previous updates,
    but none of this has worked. A system reset would probably fix it temporarily, but I would like to find a permanent fix.. My operating system is Windows 10, and my hardware is GTX 970 GPU, Intel i5 4690k CPU, 8GB RAM, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition motherboard,
    Corsair CX 600M PSU. Is it possible that this is a problem with the operating system, and switching to Windows 7 would fix it?

Yousef37, Oct 18, 2015
  4. Kanata Win User

If you have the possibility to do so, then uninstalling and reinstalling would be a good thing to do for games that won't work after the Windows upgrade.

Kanata, Oct 18, 2015
  5. Florio Win User
    I was able to do that for one game, and it now opens properly, but I do not have the original CDs for the other two games (they were lent to me by a cousin in the U.S. !!).

Is there a way to get these games working? It seems that there is something stopping the .exe file from working.

Florio, Oct 18, 2015
  6. Kanata Win User
    You might try accessing the properties of the .exe file (right-click it) and going to the Compatibility tab and setting some options there.

Kanata, Oct 18, 2015
  7. Florio Win User
    No, unfortunately this doesn't work. Right clicking on properties gives me no compatibility tab.

Florio, Oct 19, 2015
  8. Kanata Win User

Kanata, Oct 19, 2015
  9. Florio Win User
    Thanks Kanata, but even following these instructions I was unable to get the games to launch. This is very strange: I know that the two Mortimer Beckett games are Windows 10 compatible, but they will not open. I'm at a loss as to what to try next...

Florio, Oct 19, 2015
  10. Have you tried right clicking and "Run as Administrator"?

Cbarnhorst, Oct 27, 2015
  11. Florio Win User
    Hello Cbarnhorst,
    yes, I did try that but it didn't change anything.*Sad

Florio, Oct 27, 2015
  12. Cbarnhorst, Oct 27, 2015
  13. certain games no longer launching since upgrade to Windows 10

hTconeM9user, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. certain games no longer launching since upgrade to Windows 10 - Similar Threads - certain games longer

2. Assertion Failed Launching certain games and programs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Assertion Failed Launching certain games and programs: Hey there, I recently got myself a thrustmaster t128 wheel and pedal set, however the day after I got it, my PC started acting strange, I started getting errors when I loaded up certain games like FiveM and FFXIV or when I loaded up the controller settings program.The error I...
  3. Assertion Failed Launching certain games and programs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Assertion Failed Launching certain games and programs: Hey there, I recently got myself a thrustmaster t128 wheel and pedal set, however the day after I got it, my PC started acting strange, I started getting errors when I loaded up certain games like FiveM and FFXIV or when I loaded up the controller settings program.The error I...
  4. Assertion Failed Launching certain games and programs

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. PC crashes when trying to launch certain game

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC crashes when trying to launch certain game: Every since i upgraded to windows 11 when i start Destiny 2 or Fortnite my PC crashes and gives me an error DRIVER_PORTION_MUST_BE_NONPAGED. I can reinstall games and they will work for a bit then start crashing the pc again. Verifying files makes no difference...
  6. DirectX 9 games no longer launching

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DirectX 9 games no longer launching: As of the latest windows update in August 2021, most if not all DirectX 9 games such as source engine games e.g. portal, Garry's Mod, and portal 2 and A hat in time do not launch anymore. In terms of specs, my computer has an Intel i7 6700, 16GB of memory, and an NVIDIA GTX...
  7. Can no longer launch games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can no longer launch games: So, this all started because for some reason, Windows Update wouldn't work. I was stuck on version 1909, trying to update to 20H2. Every time it attempted, I would get the "missing dependencies" error on Xbox, and in an attempt to mitigate, I started working on upgrading.Good...
  8. Certain applications not launching

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Certain applications not launching: I have had problems with various applications on my computer randomly stop working. It started a few months ago when a program called Overwolf randomly stopped launching, not even giving an error code. Later more apps started failing, including Logitech G hub, and bluestacks....
  9. Certain Games from Microsoft Store Won't Launch

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Certain Games from Microsoft Store Won't Launch: From the MS Store, I installed Asphalt 9. When I try to launch, the splash screen appears, but then nothing happens. I'm also unable to play Roblox--when i launch from the browser, it shows I need to install the player. When I try to install that player, i get this message:...
  10. some buttons no longer work since the upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    some buttons no longer work since the upgrade: Windows finally bullied me into upgrading to Win10 from Win7 yesterday. Now some things that used to be clickable aren't. Like this little window, for example.... nothing on it responds to the mouseovers OR clicks. [img] Any advice? 30710