Windows 10: CertPropSvc causes high CPU usage

Discus and support CertPropSvc causes high CPU usage in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, a couple of weeks ago I noticed that my computer started to slow down due to high CPU usage. After some research I figured out that this is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by randomly-selected-name, Jul 28, 2018.

1. CertPropSvc causes high CPU usage

Hello,

a couple of weeks ago I noticed that my computer started to slow down due to high CPU usage.

After some research I figured out that this is caused by a service called CertPropSvc (Microsoft Smartcard Certificate Propagation Service).

If I manually stop the service everything is back to normal but as soon as I start CertPropSvc the CPU usage rises to 60% again.

• Is this a known issue or should I worry about my computer?
    • How can I make sure that the configuration of this service and the corresponding files weren't manipulated?
    • Which drawbacks can I expect if I just set the startup type to 'disabled'?

Please let me know if there is a way to fix this problem.

In case it is important: right now I've installed Windows 10 Pro (version 1803, build 17134.165).

Thank you very much in advance!

:)

randomly-selected-name, Jul 28, 2018

2. WIN10 1703 update cause Explorer.exe high CPU usage

Hi,

Glad you reached out. First, we would like to know if Explorer.exe
    is the only cause of high CPU usage. Because the common cause of high CPU usage are the following:

- Windows 10 Memory leak after the update.

- Driver incompatibilities after the update.

- Multiple startup applications

We'll be waiting for your update.

Richard tie, Jul 28, 2018
  3. peterlism Win User
    ntoskrnl.exe causing high cpu usage

It is completely random when it causes high CPU usage. It dosen't (as far as I can see) take up much memory, it just causes high CPU usage.

It spikes to about 20 - 90 % and stays like that for a second or so and causes my computer to freeze during that time. It can happen often, like every 5-10 minutes and sometimes it can go about 30 minutes. I do not recieve any error when this is happening.

peterlism, Jul 28, 2018
  4. iangie Win User

CertPropSvc causes high CPU usage

WIN10 1703 update cause Explorer.exe high CPU usage

I am using Surface Pro 3 (i5, 8G RAM)

After WIN10 v1703 update, Windows Explorer uses ~30-40% CPU.

If I uncheck "Show thumbnails instead of icons" in the Performance Options, the CPU usage of Windows Explorer reduces to ~0%

Any suggestion why showing thumbnails cause so high CPU usage in v1703?

Thanks!

iangie, Jul 28, 2018
Thema:

CertPropSvc causes high CPU usage

1. CertPropSvc causes high CPU usage - Similar Threads - CertPropSvc causes high

2. System thread causing high cpu usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System thread causing high cpu usage: The system process has been randomly using about 15% of my CPU for about an hour then goes back down again. I used the Process Explorer threads tab to see that ntoskrnl.exe!ExTryQueueWorkItem+0x5a20 has been using the most CPU in the system process. Can anyone tell me what...
  3. System thread causing high cpu usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System thread causing high cpu usage: The system process has been randomly using about 15% of my CPU for about an hour then goes back down again. I used the Process Explorer threads tab to see that ntoskrnl.exe!ExTryQueueWorkItem+0x5a20 has been using the most CPU in the system process. Can anyone tell me what...
  4. High CPU Usage Caused by TiWorker.exe

High CPU Usage Caused by TiWorker.exe: There's an unusual process called TiWorker.exe. Previous posts say that this is a Windows Update process, but this process runs for hours and heavily uses my CPU 50-70%. How can I delete it entirely or at least disable it permanently?...
  5. smartscreen.exe causing high CPU usage

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    smartscreen.exe causing high CPU usage: My Win 10 20H2 build 19042.867 is running 25 to 40% CPU when no programs are running! I have an AMD Ryzen 7 CPU, 3700u running at 2.3 GHz. I have 20 GB of RAM. When the Win 10 CPU is running at 45-50%, the heat in the CPU cores elevates to ~60-70 deg C. Checking the TASK...
  6. Winlogui.exe causes high CPU usage and temps

Winlogui.exe causes high CPU usage and temps: So I recently did a long-needed upgrade for my computer and replaced my CPU, motherboard, and ram but for some reason when I boot into windows 10, the CPU usage jumps to 100% and the temp gets as high as 95*C. I've tried checking task manager but weirdly enough it restores...
  7. ntoskrnl.exe causing high cpu usage.

ntoskrnl.exe causing high cpu usage.: Hello, Some months ago I started to see high cpu usage from ntoskrnl.exe. It is constantly using around 4%-20% of my cpu, and it never stops. I tried using windows defender but nothing changed, I also updated my nvidia drivers. I sometimes get blue screens, but it isn't...
  8. acpi.sys causing high cpu usage

acpi.sys causing high cpu usage: can someone look at this file i made using windows performance recorder and tell me what is causing the high cpu usage? https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mXp-vD0NaPsi6IF3F0vk6k_nRfOM1n0Y/view?usp=sharing...
  9. System interrupts causing high CPU usage

System interrupts causing high CPU usage: Hi guys, First of all the specifications of my laptop Aspire A515-51G-510P and the LatencyMon analysis can be found via the accompanied onedrive https://1drv.ms/u/s!AllRymF9WV9mnRLODDduO9e3p3WP?e=oXWPjd. To start, I'll describe the problem. The issue is most prevalent while...
  10. Microsoft.Photos.exe causes high cpu usage!

Microsoft.Photos.exe causes high cpu usage!: Whenever my computer is idle (and sometimes when I'm using it) this app starts up and sucks 100% of my CPU and heats up my computer. I noticed several posts from 2016 of people reporting this and I guess it was supposed to be fixed but I guess it hasn't. How to I fix this...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. certpropsvc high cpu

2. www.windowsphoneinfo.com

3. certificate propagation high cpu

4. service host certificate propagation high cpu,
  5. certificate propagation cpu,
  6. certificate propagation service high cpu