Windows 10: Change All Existing Default Browser Icons

Discus and support Change All Existing Default Browser Icons in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I use Chrome as my default browser but all existing Internet shortcut icons do not show the default icon. I have set Chrome as my default browser and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by roban, Sep 9, 2016.

1. roban Win User

Change All Existing Default Browser Icons

I use Chrome as my default browser but all existing Internet shortcut icons do not show the default icon. I have set Chrome as my default browser and have set .url's to open with Internet Browser (if set to chrome.exe you don't get a web page, you get text but you do get all shortcuts with the correct icon). I have made all applicable registry default icons pointing to c;\program files(x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe,0. I have cleared the icon cache and still cannot change existing shortcut icons.

I have searched the Internet for an answer. I know I can change them individually and that would take a long, long time. New shortcuts appear correctly.

How to do this perhaps with a batch file or a VB script.

:)

roban, Sep 9, 2016
  2. SophalLee Win User

Windows 10: Can't change the default browser

I can't set Chrome as the default browser. In the Windows 10 settings for default apps, I have selected Chrome as the default browser and the icon changes to a Plus icon. Edge still loads when I click links in my email.

Is there anything else I can makes changes to? Thanks.

SophalLee, Sep 9, 2016
  3. Microsoft Edge desktop icon

i have the same Problem but sfc /scannow (in admin mode) did not solve it

all me Desktop URLs are blank White squares

when i Change Default browser to Chrome the chome Icon is on the URL (so this works)

changing the Default browser back to edge again only Shows White squares

seems i have to stay with Chrome ?

Wolfgang Wagner, Sep 9, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Sep 9, 2016
  5. roban Win User
    I made it default from control panel. I'm looking to make all existing shortcut icons use the default icon which would be the typical Chrome icon not make it my default browser.

roban, Sep 9, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    I know; have you looked at #5 in the link I posted?
    Several people with your problem said that worked for them.

dalchina, Sep 9, 2016
  7. roban Win User
    The link you posted has to do with Edge and setting a custom home page. I know how to do that so maybe I am missing something in your post.

roban, Sep 9, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Agreed, but if you read it carefully in context the whole thread is about finding a way to set Chrome as default when normal methods don't seem to work. That post appears to present a non-obvious way to make that happen.

Look at the picture under
    The result..............................using www.google.ca as my example

I believe that shows that having done that clicking on the URL opened it in Chrome.

Also check this via Control Panel, Default Programs, associations:

Change All Existing Default Browser Icons [​IMG]

- where I have Firefox, you want Chrome.

dalchina, Sep 9, 2016
  9. roban Win User
    dalchina I really appreciate your help here. My associations are perfect, I have even checked them in the registry and Internet shortcuts open in Chrome. Chrome IS my default browser. What I can't seem to do is change all existing shortcuts to display the Chrome icon.
    Change All Existing Default Browser Icons [​IMG]

roban, Sep 9, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Sep 9, 2016
  11. roban Win User
    When I make IE my default and make .url open with IE the icons are consistent. When I go back to Chrome as default and .url to Internet Browser I am back to what I had before. Like our friend in the link you provided to Windows 7 if .url is set to chrome.exe the icons are consistent but you get text in a browser window. I rebooted and no joy. I will now uninstall and reinstall Chrome as a last resort.

roban, Sep 9, 2016
  12. I want to know how to do this as the opposite... I am moving old school users to chrome, and chrome is set as the default browser (which works)...but they are familiar with IE... Anyway I can make all icons (current and future) look like IE but still open chrome?

kcintimidator, Jul 20, 2017
  13. dalchina New Member

You should be able to create shortcuts to chrome and change the icon to an IE icon. However that's very confusing if you encounter genuine IE shortcuts...!

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Change All Existing Default Browser Icons - Similar Threads - Change Existing Default

2. Changing The Default Browser . .

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing The Default Browser . .: Firefox . . . Is, my default browser. When, I click on my email. It opens, with Firefox. I have, other browsers. But I just, installed, 360 Extreme Browser. I'm trying, to make it, the default browser. So, I clicked on my email, link. It, opened using, the Firefox...
  3. Change the default browser

Change the default browser: When I go to settings and click on Apps and choose Default apps I am unable to pick any other browser except Edge or Internet Explorer. There is an option to choose an app from the Microsoft Store but that doesn't help. I am running Windows 10 HOme version 1909 OS build...
  4. Changing default browser

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing default browser: I have Lenovo and want to change default browser. Please help me change the default browser. Thank you Brian M. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-default-browser/21f4bddc-91ea-43d5-93e4-cc52d6c8d8cc
  5. change default browser

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    change default browser: I cannot change my browser and home page and start up to google chrome https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-default-browser/5623d04e-53f8-4346-8946-0057ef02fcbe"
  6. Change default browser

Change default browser: MSW10 won't let me change the default Browser to Chrome. I've attached 3 screenshots showing that: 1. Chrome isn't an option when I try to "choose an app" in the default apps section of settings. 2. Nor is Chrome available in the MS App Store. 3. Chrome isn't even listed...
  7. Changing "all" default icons in Windows 10?

Changing "all" default icons in Windows 10?: I have been modifying my setup software to look a lot more retro and have been replacing is, screensavers and sounds with that of older OSes (my favourites are Windows 98 Sed Edition and Windows ME, and I use some Windows 95C material). Changing the is of shortcuts and...
  8. Default browser change to Cyberfox

in Browsers and Email
    Default browser change to Cyberfox: Only Firefox is listed in Windows 10 browser change options - would I be able to change to Cyberfox which I prefer. If so, how, please? 10843
  9. How to Change the default browser

in Browsers and Email
    How to Change the default browser: Hi everyone. I want to share this video tutorial that i make, It teaches you how to change the default browser in Windows 10 *Smile [MEDIA] oULwD72rlWE Bye! 34695
  10. PDF icons are all changed to Chrome browser icons.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PDF icons are all changed to Chrome browser icons.: All of my PDF files have had their icons changed to Chrome icons. The files no longer open with Acrobat Reader....they now open through the Chrome browser. I'm not sure what caused this. The only thing I can think of is that my girlfriend was on my computer renaming a PDF...