Windows 10: Change Automatic Maintenance Settings in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Automatic Maintenance Settings in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Automatic Maintenance Settings in Windows 10 How to Change Automatic Maintenance Settings in Windows 10 Maintenance activity... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by tracit99, Nov 27, 2014.

1. tracit99 Win User

Change Automatic Maintenance Settings in Windows 10

How to: Change Automatic Maintenance Settings in Windows 10

How to Change Automatic Maintenance Settings in Windows 10

Maintenance activity refers to an application or process that helps maintain the health and performance of a Windows PC. Maintenance includes keeping Windows and applications up-to-date, checking security, and running scans for malware. Windows Automatic Management (WAM) is a set of enhancements to the Task Scheduler API you can use to link your applications into the Windows maintenance schedule. Specifically, WAM allows you to add activities that require regular scheduling, but do not have exact time requirements. Instead, WAM relies on the operating system to choose the appropriate time to activate the task throughout the day. The system chooses those times based on minimal impact to the user, PC performance, and energy efficiency.

How Scheduled Maintenance Works

Windows Automatic Maintenance minimizes impact to the PC by scheduling maintenance only when the PC is on and idle. By default, the system performs maintenance daily, starting at 3 AM. (Note that the user may re-schedule when the maintenance occurs.) This daily session is limited to a maximum duration of 1 hour per attempt. If the user is actively using the machine, the system defers maintenance until a later time. The system also suspends any executing maintenance task if the user returns to the PC.

The system restarts a suspended maintenance task during the next idle period; however, the system will not suspend any task marked as critical. Instead, the system allows a critical task to complete, regardless of user action.

Due to the nature of scheduling, some scheduled tasks may not finish: perhaps there are too many scheduled events to fit in the 1 hour maintenance window, or maybe the computer was simply not turned on. In such cases, you can define a task with a deadline. A deadline is defined as a recurring time frame in which the system must successfully perform the task at least once.

If a task misses a deadline, the maintenance scheduler will continue to attempt to execute the task during the maintenance window. Further, the scheduler will not limit itself to the regular 1 hour time limit. Instead, the scheduler extends the duration of the maintenance window in order to complete the delayed task. If the system still cannot complete the task, the Action Center displays a warning notification to the user. The user can then manually initiate the maintenance action from the Action center.

Once the system completes the task (even with a failure error code), the attempt is considered successful. After a successful attempt, the scheduler resets to the regular maintenance schedule, and will attempt the task during the next period.

For more information about "Automatic Maintenance", see: Automatic Maintenance - Windows applications | Microsoft Docs

This tutorial will show you how to change the Automatic Maintenance settings for what time to run the daily maintenance tasks, and if to allow the scheduled maintenance to wake the computer to run at the scheduled time in Windows 10.

*note You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do the steps in this tutorial.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Change Automatic Maintenance Settings in Control Panel
    • Option Two: Manually Change "Run maintenance tasks daily at" Time in Registry Editor
    • Option Three: Manually Turn On or Off "Allow scheduled maintenance to wake up my computer at the scheduled time" using a REG file

OPTION ONE [/i] Change Automatic Maintenance Settings in Control Panel
    1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), click/tap on the Security and Maintenance icon.

2. In Security and Maintenance, expand Maintenance, and click/tap on the Change maintenance settings link under Automatic Maintenance. (see screenshot below)

Change Automatic Maintenance Settings in Windows 10 [​IMG]

3. Select the time that you would like to have Automatic Maintenance run daily at, then check (on - default) or uncheck (off) Allow scheduled maintenance to wake up my computer at the scheduled time. When finished, click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

*note By default, Automatic Maintenance is set to wake up your computer and run maintenance tasks at 2 AM.

4. If prompted by UAC, then click/tap on OK.

5. When finished, you can close Security and Maintenance if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Manually Change "Run maintenance tasks daily at" Time in Registry Editor
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

2. Navigate to the key below in the left pane of Registry Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\Maintenance

3. In the right pane of the Maintenance key, double click/tap on the Activation Boundary string value to modify it. (see screenshot above)

*note If you do not have a Activation Boundary string value, right click on an empty area in the right pane of the Maintenance key, click/tap on New, click/tap on String Value, type Activation Boundary for the name, and press Enter.

4. Enter a data value from the table below for the time you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

[table][tr][td]Time[/td] [td]Date Value[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]12:00 AM[/td] [td]2001-01-01T00:00:00[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]1:00 AM[/td] [td]2001-01-01T01:00:00[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]2:00 AM - default[/td] [td]2001-01-01T02:00:00[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]3:00 AM[/td] [td]2001-01-01T03:00:00[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]4:00 AM[/td] [td]2001-01-01T04:00:00[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]5:00 AM[/td] [td]2001-01-01T05:00:00[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]6:00 AM[/td] [td]2001-01-01T06:00:00[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]7:00 AM[/td] [td]2001-01-01T07:00:00[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]8:00 AM[/td] [td]2001-01-01T08:00:00[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]9:00 AM[/td] [td]2001-01-01T09:00:00[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]10:00 AM[/td] [td]2001-01-01T10:00:00[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]11:00 AM[/td] [td]2001-01-01T11:00:00[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]12:00 PM[/td] [td]2001-01-01T12:00:00[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]1:00 PM[/td] [td]2001-01-01T13:00:00[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]2:00 PM[/td] [td]2001-01-01T14:00:00[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]3:00 PM[/td] [td]2001-01-01T15:00:00[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]4:00 PM[/td] [td]2001-01-01T16:00:00[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]5:00 PM[/td] [td]2001-01-01T17:00:00[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]6:00 PM[/td] [td]2001-01-01T18:00:00[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]7:00 PM[/td] [td]2001-01-01T19:00:00[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]8:00 PM[/td] [td]2001-01-01T20:00:00[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]9:00 PM[/td] [td]2001-01-01T21:00:00[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]10:00 PM[/td] [td]2001-01-01T22:00:00[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]11:00 PM[/td] [td]2001-01-01T23:00:00[/td] [/tr] [/table]

5. You can now close Registry Editor if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] Manually Turn On or Off "Allow scheduled maintenance to wake up my computer at the scheduled time" using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry keys below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\Maintenance

WakeUp DWORD

0 = Off
    1 = On

1. Do step 2 (on) or step 3 (off) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Turn On "Allow scheduled maintenance to wake up my computer at the scheduled time"
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_ON_Allow_scheduled-maintenance_to_wake_up_my_computer_at_scheduled_time.reg

Download

3. To Turn Off "Allow scheduled maintenance to wake up my computer at the scheduled time"
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_OFF_Allow_scheduled-maintenance_to_wake_up_my_computer_at_scheduled_time.reg

Download

4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You could now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

tracit99, Nov 27, 2014
  2. PA Bear - MS MVP, Nov 27, 2014
  3. Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Nov 27, 2014
  4. Change Automatic Maintenance Settings in Windows 10

Thanks Shawn for the tutorial.
    I do like to make those kinds of choices of what happens and when.

Layback Bear, Nov 27, 2014
  5. stilatore Win User
    Hello!
    Any updates on how to permanently disable automatic maintenance on windows 10?

stilatore, Jul 22, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Stilatore, and welcome to Ten Forums.

If you like, you could uncheck Allow scheduled maintenance to wake up my computer at the scheduled time for now, but nothing new for how to do so in Windows 10 like below in Windows 8 yet. *Sad

Automatic Maintenance - Enable or Disable in Windows 8

Brink, Jul 22, 2015
  7. stilatore Win User
    Thank you!
    Yes, i knew about that but i was looking for disabling it permanently like in windows 8.
    Thank you again for your quick reply *Smile

stilatore, Jul 22, 2015
  8. jds63 Win User

Little confused by this, for one why is it showing white flag for Windows 10 and if click Action center in notification area in Windows 10 you do not get to Security and Maintenance, only through Control Panel.

jds63, Aug 31, 2015
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hey mate, *Smile

In Windows 10, this is now called "Security and Maintenance" instead of "Action Center" like in previous Windows.

All system icons are white, so the white flag is the same one for "Security and Maintenance", but just white.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

This is of course because Windows 10 has a new "Action Center" for notifications and quick actions. You'll notice it has a different system icon than the white flag.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Aug 31, 2015
  10. jds63 Win User
    Tutorial made it seem like i had a white flag and was an option to get me to Security and maintenance in windows 10. All i know is control panel is only way. What i meant is what is shown in the tutorial as being a white flag on taskbar for a Windows 10 tutorial had me confused.

I know other tutorials, thanks

jds63, Aug 31, 2015
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Yeah, usually you won't see the white flag icon for "Security and Maintenance" anymore unless you have a notification message from it. I just added it as one of the possible available options for how to open "Security and Maintenance".

Brink, Aug 31, 2015
  12. jds63 Win User
    O.k Brink, part that confused me for Windows 10. Never seen it yet, sp you are saying you still can see a white flag in Windows 10 ? Thinking this would show me notifications instead.

jds63, Aug 31, 2015
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

I used to see the white flag icon, but haven't anymore in the latest builds. I had just left it in the tutorial for now as a precaution.

Brink, Aug 31, 2015
  14. jds63 Win User
    Do not know if added it again in the insider build, but in 10240 i have not seen it. Just thought might confuse some, also no way to access Security and Maintenance from Taskbar in this build.

jds63, Aug 31, 2015
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Agreed, and removed. *Smile

Brink, Sep 1, 2015
Thema:

1. Change Automatic Maintenance Settings in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Automatic Maintenance

2. Automatic maintenance behavior

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Automatic maintenance behavior: I'm running Windows 10 Version 20H2 on an HP Laptop. I only use the laptop briefly every day and then shut it down. Since I shut down after use, I do not have automatic maintenance turned on as a task, rather I run it myself every day before shutting down. I've noticed when I...
  3. Automatic maintenance behavior

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Automatic maintenance behavior: I'm running Windows 10 Version 20H2 on an HP Laptop. I only use the laptop briefly every day and then shut it down. Since I shut down after use, I do not have automatic maintenance turned on as a task, rather I run it myself every day before shutting down. I've noticed when I...
  4. Question about Windows 10 Automatic Maintenance

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about Windows 10 Automatic Maintenance: TL;DR Will automatic maintenance defrag my SSD? I'm running Windows 10 2004 19041.450. I'm thinking about running automatic maintenance at the end of each day to keep my system updated without having to go through the hassle of doing it myself. I'm concerned because I've...
  5. How to change time of automatic maintenance?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to change time of automatic maintenance?: Every single night, between 2:00 and 3:00am, my computer wakes itself up from sleep. The keyboard lights up, both monitor turn on, and the pc starts making noise. It does this because it is doing automatic maintenance. This wakes me up. Every single night. It wakes up 2-4...
  6. Windows 10 Automatic Maintenance ignoring my settings

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 Automatic Maintenance ignoring my settings: Windows 10 Pro 1909 (18363.592). So I set my automatic maintenance to 8am as I will often be doing things in the night/early morning. For instance I record a podcast with some friends in america sometimes, and I'll be doing this between 1.30am to sometimes as late as 7am, so...
  7. Automatic Maintenance

in Windows 10 Customization
    Automatic Maintenance: This feature was accessed about 45 minutes ago and is still running. How do I get it to complete the maintenance, please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/automatic-maintenance/40119d17-0c2e-41b4-9982-19d4ec0cfe38
  8. automatic maintenance win 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    automatic maintenance win 10: i want to disable this feature how to do it? as i have new ssd if this defragments my ssd it may be bad for my ssd https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/automatic-maintenance-win-10/833e5b55-d483-407f-8341-4606edf1e27d
  9. Automatic Maintenance Bug?

Automatic Maintenance Bug?: I did am no Malware. Also it has not done it again since the reboot.
  10. Automatic maintenance and windows.old

Automatic maintenance and windows.old: I know windows.old can be purged by the user but I am curious about how often disk clean up runs as part of automatic maintenance. After the upgrade to fall creators both our machines were left with sizeable 20 odd gigs of windows.old i left it about ten days and then gave...