Windows 10: Change BCD during setup/upgrade to show edition etc.

Discus and support Change BCD during setup/upgrade to show edition etc. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Every time windows setup installs or upgrades a windows 10 installation, it changes a meaningful (to me) edited BCD bootmenu entry to plain boring... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Fafhrd, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Fafhrd Win User

Change BCD during setup/upgrade to show edition etc.

Every time windows setup installs or upgrades a windows 10 installation, it changes a meaningful (to me) edited BCD bootmenu entry to plain boring uninformative "Windows 10" - sometimes "on volume x" if it is multibooting:

Change BCD during setup/upgrade to show edition etc. [​IMG]

I know I can edit the entry after the fact, and more than one ways how to do it.

The volume number entry is plain un-Windows like - why not give a volume label - labels are at least more permanent - I can understand why not the (worse than useless, and long outdated) "drive letter" is not used, since it is more often than not "C:", but where in Windows can you find the volume number without going into Diskpart, or other low level utilities?

Is there no way during or prior to setup to define what the bootmenu entry for the new installation or upgrade will be? A clever app maybe that I haven't spotted?

Or a clever way to automatically change this during OOBE?

:)

Fafhrd, Mar 17, 2017

2. Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709 fails to install

You are welcome. I think that is correct. The clean install already went through Windows Update to pull in OS Build
    16299.309 which is currently the latest one. It was the system partition (that holds the BCD) on the HDD that was the real troublemaker. That BCD was activating during reboots that required the one on the SSD, I think. Windows writes to them during an
    upgrade.

PCR Just PCR, Mar 17, 2017
  3. Windows 10 upgrade consistently fails at 24% (installing from USB created with the 'creation tool')

Not the case, Ubuntu had been removed and none of its partitions nor UEFI boot entry existed. However during that install Grub did alter the BCD..

In short, at the time of Windows 10 upgrade there was no Linux anything left on the system except a modified BCD..

Mr.Newport, Mar 17, 2017
  4. lx07 Win User

If you aren't using a OEM key you could try creating a script %WINDIR%\Setup\Scripts\SetupComplete.cmd

Code: bcdedit /set {current} description "Whatever"[/quote] Add a Custom Script to Windows Setup

5. Fafhrd Win User
    Thanks Ix07, I'll try to get my head around that tomorrow and post back if & when I have any success - it looks like I shall have to open up a VM to do it!

Fafhrd, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Change BCD during setup/upgrade to show edition etc. - Similar Threads - Change BCD during

2. crash during update, BCD error 0xc0000098

in Windows 10 Gaming
    crash during update, BCD error 0xc0000098: So yesterday I updated my computer. I had some chores to do so I didn't see what happened but I assume it crashed during the update process. When I try to boot my computer I get this bluescreen that says "system thread exception not handled"After restarting my pc I get a...
  3. crash during update, BCD error 0xc0000098

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    crash during update, BCD error 0xc0000098: So yesterday I updated my computer. I had some chores to do so I didn't see what happened but I assume it crashed during the update process. When I try to boot my computer I get this bluescreen that says "system thread exception not handled"After restarting my pc I get a...
  4. crash during update, BCD error 0xc0000098

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Is it possible to change the color of the menu bar (File, Edit, etc.)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to change the color of the menu bar (File, Edit, etc.): [ATTACH] I've been trying to find a way to change the color of the menu bar for applications (the bar that offers the File, Edit, Help, etc. options): https://preview.redd.it/xth0qjpqg1491.png?width=1229&format=png&auto=webp&s=776cb4f1d326e343b7ed51aea6db992ba72f8ead But...
  6. Confused BCD Editing

in Windows 10 Support
    Confused BCD Editing: Windows 10 Professional (x64) Version 2009 (build19043.985) I have four entries in my boot configuration but I only want three. One is incorrect but I am afraid that I will delete the wrong entry. My normal boot should be one entry and the other two entries should be (1)...
  7. Wifi not an option during setup?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wifi not an option during setup?: Hey there! I'm building my first PC, and I'm basically finished, but during the initial setup Windows asked me to connect to the internet to update everything. The only option they gave was Ethernet, and I don't have access to an Ethernet port in this room. I continued...
  8. error during initial setup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    error during initial setup: One Drive shows a blank screen during the initial setup of my newly purchased Surface Pro 6. I turned on the laptop and went to the part about OneDrive, pressed Next but the screen went blank. I tried to click the back arrow to choose “Only save files on this PC”, but the...
  9. file edit view etc

in Browsers and Email
    file edit view etc: Using Bing, can you get like file,edit, view? On internet exployer I got these by pressing Alt and right click at toolbars. thanks carol 21925
  10. Hardware change during upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hardware change during upgrade: Hi Over the weekend, I carried out the free upgrade to Windows 10, followed by a clean install. This was on a laptop with the manufacturers OEM licence, and it all worked fine, with Windows 10 being activated correctly after the clean install. I plan on carrying this...