Windows 10: Change BitLocker Password in Windows 10

Discus and support Change BitLocker Password in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change BitLocker Password in Windows 10 How to Change BitLocker Password in Windows 10 [img] Information BitLocker Drive Encryption is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Change BitLocker Password in Windows 10

How to: Change BitLocker Password in Windows 10

How to Change BitLocker Password in Windows 10

Change BitLocker Password in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information BitLocker Drive Encryption is a data protection feature that integrates with the operating system and addresses the threats of data theft or exposure from lost, stolen, or inappropriately decommissioned computers.

When you Administrative privileges are required to configure BitLocker for operating system drives.

When you turn on BitLocker for a removable data drive, you can configure it to require a password to unlock the drive.

A BitLocker password can be 8 to 256 characters long including uppercase and lowercase letters, symbols, numbers, and spaces.

This tutorial will show you how to change the BitLocker password of an encrypted drive in Windows 10.

Note Before you can change the PIN or password on a BitLocker protected drive, you must unlock the drive.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Change BitLocker Password in This PC
    • Option Two: Change BitLocker Password in Manage BitLocker Control Panel
    • Option Three: Change BitLocker Password in Command Prompt

OPTION ONE [/i] Change BitLocker Password in This PC
    1. Open This PC in File Explorer (Win+E), and do step 2 or step 3 below for what you would like to do.

2. Right click or press and hold on the drive (ex: "F") encrypted by BitLocker, click/tap on Change BitLocker password, and go to step 4 below. (see screenshot below)

3. Select the drive (ex: "F") encrypted by BitLocker, click/tap on the "Drive Tools" Manage tab, click/tap on the BitLocker button in the ribbon, click/tap on Change password/PIN, and go to step 4 below. (see screenshot below)

4. Type in the Old password, type in a New password, type the new password again to Confirm new password, and click/tap on Change password. (see screenshot below)

5. If the password has been successfully changed, click/tap on Close. (see screenshot below)

6. You can now close File Explorer if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Change BitLocker Password in Manage BitLocker Control Panel
    1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the BitLocker Drive Encryption icon.

2. Under the encrypted drive you want to change the password for, click/tap on the Change password link. (see screenshot below)

3. Type in the Old password, type in a New password, type the new password again to Confirm new password, and click/tap on Change password. (see screenshot below)

4. If the password has been successfully changed, click/tap on Close. (see screenshot below)

5. You can now close the Control Panel if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] Change BitLocker Password in Command Prompt

Note You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do this option.

1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. Type the command below into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow manage-bde -changepassword <drive letter>:

Note Substitute <drive letter> in the command above with the actual drive letter (ex: "F") of the encrypted drive you want to change the password for.

For example: manage-bde -changepassword F:

3. Type the new password when prompted, and press Enter.

4. Confirm the new password by typing it again when prompted, and press Enter.

5. If your password has been successfully updated, you can now close the elevated command prompt.

That's all,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Mar 19, 2016
  2. Ernie San Win User

changing bitlocker password, Windows 10

Hello Keith,

We suggest to change it from Control Panel. You may follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Select Control Panel.
    • Click BitLocker Drive Encryption.
    • Click Unlock drive.
    • Type your present password and click Unlock.
    • The drive will be unlocked and you will notice more links on the right of that particular unlocked drive, click
      Change password.
    • Now, you may type your Old password, New password and Confirm new password.
    • Click Change password.
    Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Ernie San, Oct 26, 2019
  3. why doesn't my bitlocker make me type a password?

Hi,

I understand that you have issue with Bitlocker password. I will certainly assist you with this.

Please provide us below details for better assistance,

• Is your Bitlocker enabled on your system?

• Have you made any changes on your system before this issue?

Please follow these steps and check if that helps.

Method 1: I suggest you to start the BitLocker Device Encryption service.

Follow the below steps:

1. Press Windows key + R from the Keyboard.

2. Type services.msc and hit Enter.

3. Search for BitLocker Device Encryption service.

4. Double click on BitLocker Device Encryption service and click on Start button.

5. Click on the dropdown list and set the Startup type to Automatic.

If the issue persists then change the password and change the settings on how drive is unlocked at startup.

Hope it will fix your issue. Please let us know the status of your issue.

Thank You.

Krishna Priya V, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Ke1th_J Win User

changing bitlocker password, Windows 10

I'm trying to change the Bitlocker password on my Windows 10 laptop. Searching the web only provided doing so on a Win 8.1. I don't have the same options in Win 10 (no "Bitlocker Options> Change Password is available in Windows 10). There are three options
    (Turn Bitlocker off, Suspend Bitlocker and Back-up your Recovery Key).

I have local administrator rights and perrmissions. Please help. Thank you!

Keith

Ke1th_J, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Viruzz Win User
    HELP: Automatic BitLocker Unlock.

Please help,
    Looking for a way( script or maybe some unknown windows command or registry hack) to automatically unlock a non OS BitLocker encrypted drive on Log-In.

My situation: Right now my OS SSD Samsung 840 Evo has a boot password, its not Bios option nor windows eDrive but the third one, the one you need 3rd party software to activate it, had to purchase EMBASSY Security Center to do it.
    No issues here, the OS drive is locked and encrypted.

One of My HDD Drives is encrypted with Bitlocker, so every time my PC is booted, I need to enter windows log-in password and then open my computer and enter another password to unlock the drive.
    Whats worse is that unlike the SSD that needs unlock password only after full shutdown the Bitlocker needs it every log-in.

Windows has an option to Automaticlly unlock all BitLocker drives on boot, BUT the issue here is that this official option only works if your OS drive is also BitLocker encrypted and then log-in password unlocks everything.

Im looking for maybe a windows Script or some Hidden command to automatically unlock the BitLocker drive.

Even if it Sounds insecure like having the actual password somewhere in the registry, text file or script I dont care because the OS drive is encrypted and passworded.
    Also I have a TPM chip I can encrypt any file/folder so even if file is copied from my PC when its fully unlocked the files wont be readable anywhere unless unencrypted before.

If its important im on 8.1 pro 64bit

P.S. If there is no solution for my problem then my only choice is when windows 10 comes out to do a clean install on another Samsung 840 Evo that was previously cleared and eDrive option enabled

Thanks in advance.

Viruzz, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Bitlocked drive disconecting after entering the corect password.

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand your concern, let us try few troubleshooting steps to resolve this issue and check if that helps. I suggest you to reset the password using the login screen and check if that helps. Refer the section under
    Resetting recovery password from the following article on
    BitLocker recovery guide
    for steps to reset recovery password.

If the issue persist, I suggest you to post your query in the

TechNet forums
    , where you will find support from professional who are dedicated to handle issue related to Bit locker.

Regards,

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Change BitLocker Password in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change BitLocker Password

2. bitlocker password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    bitlocker password: I have tried everything to find my Bitlocker password, and it says its saved to my Microsoft account. I cannot access it because it says I have to wait a month and I need to use my laptop now. Is there anyway I can get my Bitlocker password right now?...
  3. Bitlocker password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker password: I can't find my bitlocker password. I can see my laptop in devices but there is no information about that. HD is in bad condition and I need it to make a backup. Any idea? Thanks....
  4. Bitlocker password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker password: I can't find my bitlocker password. I can see my laptop in devices but there is no information about that. HD is in bad condition and I need it to make a backup. Any idea? Thanks....
  5. bitlocker changes its own password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    bitlocker changes its own password: yesterday I was able to activate the password after a while the password and recovery key changed by themselves, do you have a solution? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bitlocker-changes-its-own-password/d554cad5-e460-427e-9cf7-973b986a751c
  6. Bitlocker password

Bitlocker password: I'm running Windows 10 and would like to change my Bitlocker password. When I try to do this I receive a message that Group Policy settings do not permit the creation of a password. I've been unable to figure out what setting I need to change. Thank you...
  7. BitLocker Windows 10 No Password on Setup

BitLocker Windows 10 No Password on Setup: I set up BitLocker on my Windows 10 Enterprise device, and it never prompted me for a password. BitLocker is now set up and seems to be working but there is no password....
  8. Unable to change BitLocker password

Unable to change BitLocker password: Hi everyone, I am using Windows 10 Pro with an admin user connected to my Office 365 I am logging in using my email, which is not Microsoft email. BitLocker is enabled by default, but I do not see the option to change the BL password, nor do I see the option to ask for...
  9. bitLocker Drive - How to change the password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    bitLocker Drive - How to change the password: Can you tell me how to change the password for Bit Locker on my zip drive - I have the recovery key? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_productivity/bitlocker-drive-how-to-change-the-password/d1886e66-3ea6-4c4e-92e6-941c37ef3190
  10. Add or Remove Change BitLocker Password Context Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Change BitLocker Password Context Menu in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Change BitLocker Password Context Menu in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Change BitLocker Password Context Menu in Windows 10 [img] Information BitLocker Drive Encryption is a data protection feature that integrates with the operating system and...