Windows 10: change boot drive

Discus and support change boot drive in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; How to transfer my boot drive to new SSD drive?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by fordf350, Aug 10, 2018.

1. fordf350 Win User

change boot drive

How to transfer my boot drive to new SSD drive?

:)

fordf350, Aug 10, 2018
  2. gygabite Win User

Changing boot hdd

I downloaded PartitionMagic8.0, but the partition i want to make is not bootable.
    So the system boots from the old, loud hdd, and when i unplug the old, it doesnt boot.
    Any advice or suggestions how to change boot hdd without reinstalling Winxp?

gygabite, Aug 10, 2018
  3. Instructions to change board?

Boot off of the windows CD, repair your XP partition (hopefully you won't have to reinstall windows), install drivers, and you're good to go. You'll see dual channel mode in the BIOS splash screen results from POST. It'll be pretty obvious *Stick Out Tongue change boot drive :p. Here's a list of general tweaks for the 939Dual-SATA2.
    Step one- Set time, date
    Step two- In CPU settings, disable cool n quiet, set memory clock to DDR400, play with memory timings (CAS-TRAS-TRP-TRCD), which are listed in the bios in the order CAS, TRCD, TRAS, and TRP. EDIT- new BIOS's mess around with this order, can't be too sure on it, but yeah at least you know what the RAM timings stand for *Big Grin change boot drive :D.
    Leave MA timing at 2T unless you think your system can handle 1T
    Step three- in Chipset settings, enable onboard LAN, disable onboard Audio, disable AGP fast write, set primary graphics adapter, and set CPU-NB and NB-SB link speed to 1000mhz.
    Step four- in IDE, disable controllers you aren't using. On all drives detected, enable SMART if you can and set PIO/DMA as high as they will go.
    Step five- Enable legacy USB support
    Step six- Set password if you're worried about anyone screwing around with your BIOS settings
    Step seven- Configure your boot sequence. I reccomend hard drive first, optical drive second, and floppy drive third.
    Step eight- Save changes, boot into XP, and enjoy your computer.

zekrahminator, Aug 10, 2018
  4. Mussels Win User

change boot drive

Wondering about a second hard drive and installing Vista on it and also a ..

iv'e had too many problems to list like that, thats why i suggested disconnecting the original drive(s) and using the BIOS to choose what drive to boot from.

Mussels, Aug 10, 2018
Thema:

change boot drive

1. change boot drive - Similar Threads - change boot drive

2. Change Boot Drive Errors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change Boot Drive Errors: I have to return my corrupt SSD but need to format it before returning.I have installed a boot verion of Win 10 pro onto a spare HDD drive, but my pc will not boot from that drive because the SSD is still the boot drive. I have tried chaning letters etc, but keep getting the...
  3. Change Boot Drive Errors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change Boot Drive Errors: I have to return my corrupt SSD but need to format it before returning.I have installed a boot verion of Win 10 pro onto a spare HDD drive, but my pc will not boot from that drive because the SSD is still the boot drive. I have tried chaning letters etc, but keep getting the...
  4. Change Boot Drive Errors

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Changing Boot Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing Boot Drive: Hello everyone.So, I'm trying to change my local drive to a portion of my other SSD that has more storage. Long story short, I got a prebuilt and changed all parts except for local drive with 100 gb in it, 1 gb left to spare because I don't know how to. I finally decided to...
  6. Changing Boot Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing Boot Drive: Hello everyone.So, I'm trying to change my local drive to a portion of my other SSD that has more storage. Long story short, I got a prebuilt and changed all parts except for local drive with 100 gb in it, 1 gb left to spare because I don't know how to. I finally decided to...
  7. Boot Drive Changed on Update?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Boot Drive Changed on Update?: On my latest Windows 10 update (yesterday) my boot drive randomly was changed from my HDD to my SSD, deleting all old appdata and files and completely getting rid of any installed programs that weren't expressly installed in my D drive. Why might that have happened? My...
  8. Changing Boot Drives

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Changing Boot Drives: I have an older PC that has worked exceptionally well. The HDD has a non-OEM I purchased it to upgrade the computer version WIN 10 64 bit with all of my applications and data. Naturally, everything is setup the way I want and I'd like to keep it that way! I purchased a new...
  9. Changing Boot Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Changing Boot Drive: Hey everyone. I'm looking to change my boot drive but haven't been able to get a clear idea on how it will work. Currently in my PC I have a SATA SSD, which is my boot drive, and a HDD which I just use for large games and work stuff. I am thinking of getting an M.2 drive to...
  10. How to change boot drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to change boot drive: How to change boot drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-boot-drive/ca24decb-8806-4359-bdd6-6cc38d1d4d43