Windows 10: Change Chkdsk AutoChk Countdown Time at Boot in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Chkdsk AutoChk Countdown Time at Boot in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Chkdsk AutoChk Countdown Time at Boot in Windows 10 How to Change Chkdsk AutoChk Initiation Countdown Time at Boot in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Change Chkdsk AutoChk Countdown Time at Boot in Windows 10

How to: Change Chkdsk AutoChk Countdown Time at Boot in Windows 10

How to Change Chkdsk AutoChk Initiation Countdown Time at Boot in Windows 10

Change Chkdsk AutoChk Countdown Time at Boot in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information Checking your drives for errors every once in a while can help fix some performance issues. Drive errors can usually be caused by bad sectors, improper shutdowns, bad software, corruption, physical damage, etc...

If you schedule a disk check at boot (ex: "chkdsk /F"), you will have 8 seconds by default to press a key within to be able to skip disk checking the next time you restart the computer.

This tutorial will show you how to change the AutoChk timeout value in seconds you have to press any key within to skip disk checking (chkdsk) at boot in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to change the AutoChk initiation countdown time.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Change AutoChk Timeout Value in Command Prompt
    • Option Two: To Change AutoChk Timeout Value in Registry Editor

EXAMPLE: AUTOCHK initiation countdown time at boot for scheduled disk check

OPTION ONE [/i] To Change AutoChk Timeout Value in Command Prompt
    1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. Copy and paste the command below in the command prompt, and press Enter. This will show you what the current AutoChkTimeout value is set to. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow chkntfs /T

3. Type command below in the command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow chkntfs /T:<seconds>

Note Substitute <seconds> in the command above with how many seconds, between 1 to 259200, you want for the AutoChkTimeout value.

(60 seconds = 1 minute | 3600 seconds = 1 hour)

For example: chkntfs /T:8

OPTION TWO [/i] To Change AutoChk Timeout Value in Registry Editor
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

2. If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes.

3. In the left pane of Registry Editor, browse to the key location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager

4. In the right pane of the Session Manager key, double click/tap on the AutoChkTimeOut DWORD to modify it. (see screenshot above)

5. Select (dot) Decimal, type how many seconds, between 1 to 259200, you want for the AutoChkTimeout value, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

6. When finished, you can close Registry Editor if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Aug 5, 2017
  2. David Haz Win User

When will Autochk be fixed for Creator Update?

Hi Ross,

We may need more information about the issue you are experiencing, kindly respond to the questions below:

• What do you mean by "kill"?
    • What happens when you attempt to run AutoChk?
    • Does an error message appears when you run AutoChk?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

We look forward to your response.

Regards.

David Haz, Oct 26, 2019
  3. dalchina Win User
    Windows 10 Boot times issue

The two are linked as you've observed and as I mentioned.

What puzzles me is the change after the power outage, which would suggest some form of corruption, which does not seem the case.

The other thing that can cause slow boot times are certain updates. For example this update:
    KB4100347 Intel microcode updates for Windows 10 v1803 - September 13 - Page 9 - Windows 10 Forums

So I'm now wondering if the change in boot time is actually unrelated to your power outage. Using WPR as @zinou suggests is then the next step.

dalchina, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Change Chkdsk AutoChk Countdown Time at Boot in Windows 10

Windows 10 random automatic repair after changing boot priority.

Hello. So i have an Windows 10 Pro. Sometimes when i am changing in bios boot order from USB to HDD ( SDD ) windows starts booting with AUTOMATIC REPAIR and then restarting. Is this something with BIOS \ Windows 10 bug related? Tested on pc and on laptop , and sometimes it doing the same.

Situation on PC first,listen:

Few days ago after i change boot in UEFI BIOS from USB to SSD.
    Then Windows 10 showed at 1 boot Automatic Repair.
    When starting Windows 10 boot loader starts by "preparing automatic repair" and diagnosing pc.
    Interesting is that if I restart Windows (after procedure mentioned earlier) it will boot normally. This startup problem was occured only when starting system again after shutdown or restarted pc from windows.So i was needed 2 boots to boot properly to windows.
    But on pc, format was needed to remove completely issue and after format is fine.

Pc :
    2x8gb Kingston Hyperx 1600mhz DDR3
    SSD samsung Evo 250 gb
    4790k stock
    Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 with UEFI BIOS

Now laptop with old standard bios:
    On laptop i made the same operation, change boot from USB to HDD and on first boot Windows 10 shows Automatic Repair. But it happened once and i cant reproduce. No format was needed.

laptop is very old with 2gb ram

Why on pc format was needed when on laptop not?

Thanks for suggestions.

litwicki24, Oct 26, 2019
  5. RossBa Win User
    When will Autochk be fixed for Creator Update?

Yes, Creator was successfully installed.

Yes, I use AVG anti virus.

Autochk must be run as Administrator, otherwise it won't run.

I have 2 Notebooks that run Win10 32 bit & 2 that run 64 bit.

Since KB4016240, the 32 bits run Autochk in a fashion, it runs on reboot but does not show the 100% completed screen, but when re-run shows 100% almost immediately.

For the 64bits, Autochk fails to run after KB4016240. After following your suggested link, I temporarily disabled AVG, no change(systems boot straight into win10).

Uninstalling AVG, again made no change. Re-installed AVG, still no change.

RossBa, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Delta6326 Win User
    Delta6326, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Change Chkdsk AutoChk Countdown Time at Boot in Windows 10

1. Change Chkdsk AutoChk Countdown Time at Boot in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Chkdsk AutoChk

2. How many time CHKDSK command is executed after boot?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How many time CHKDSK command is executed after boot?: I have 2 5400RPM HDDs, 1 7200 HDD, and an SSD. I checked my disks with CrystalDiskMark and found out that one of my drive is in "Caution" state. Then I decided to start CHKDSK command via CMD on all of my drives on startup. Due to me having a doubt that I did that correctly,...
  3. How many time CHKDSK command is executed after boot?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How many time CHKDSK command is executed after boot?: I have 2 5400RPM HDDs, 1 7200 HDD, and an SSD. I checked my disks with CrystalDiskMark and have found out that one of my drive is in "Caution" state. Then I decided to start CHKDSK command on all of my drives on startup. Due to me having a little bit of doubt that I did that...
  4. chkdsk countdown loops once then doesnt start need help

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    chkdsk countdown loops once then doesnt start need help: i used the wedern digital diagnostic software and no problem was found but on my c drive under tools it says errors were found and it says run a chkdsk but when i try to run one it doesnt start it just does a 8 second countdown twice then just logs me in without the chkdsk...
  5. CHKDSK hangs at boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CHKDSK hangs at boot: Hi Thank you everyone in advance. Please excuse the long post. Just want to give the full picture...My setup. Windows 10 Home. Intel i7, 16Gb memory, Samsung SSD 4Tb. Setup as GPT with two partitions partitions 300Gb with Windows 10 and software install and some data; the...
  6. Windows 10 won't boot + chkdsk error

Windows 10 won't boot + chkdsk error: Good morning, I have one large issue. I have been doing some work in chrome and my laptop lenovo ideapad 330 has frozen, so I turned it off and back on again never had issues with that. After lenovo logo has popped up, windows was refusing to boot. So I tried built in...
  7. CHKDSK automatically skips after the countdown and redirects to Logon Screen

CHKDSK automatically skips after the countdown and redirects to Logon Screen: I wanted to check my HD for any errors or bad sectors, but whenever I try it, it automatically skips after the countdown and redirects me to the login screen. It first shows the countdown, then after the countdown reaches 0 it says "Scanning and Repairing C:\" and it hangs...
  8. Preventing chkdsk at boot

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Preventing chkdsk at boot: generic PC of high (Gamer) performance dual-booted with win 7 and win10 Some time ago unfortunate finger-trouble corrupted my win 7 installation since when it has apparently recovered (!) One consequence is a repeated request at boot (including win 10 boot) to run chkdsk for...
  9. Notebook doesn't boot, error: autochk not existing, skipping AUTOCHECK

in Windows 10 Support
    Notebook doesn't boot, error: autochk not existing, skipping AUTOCHECK: 2 times my Notebook didn't boot anymore, it shows as an error: autochk not existing, skipping AUTOCHECK. The first time I reset the Notebook and it worked, I made a few restarts. After the last restart the same problem, it did not boot, the same failure (autochk not existing,...
  10. Cancel a Scheduled Chkdsk at Boot in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Cancel a Scheduled Chkdsk at Boot in Windows 10: How to: Cancel a Scheduled Chkdsk at Boot in Windows 10 How to Cancel a Scheduled Chkdsk at Boot in Windows 10 [img] Information Checking your drives for errors every once in a while can help fix some performance issues. Drive errors can usually be caused by bad...