Windows 10: Change color user login screen

Discus and support Change color user login screen in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have searched for hours trying to find out how to change the color of the user login screen. Mine is the ugliest color. None of the information I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by lgentry, May 3, 2015.

1. lgentry Win User

Change color user login screen

I have searched for hours trying to find out how to change the color of the user login screen. Mine is the ugliest color. None of the information I found on Windows 8 will work on Windows 10. There is another post regarding this on this site but I am unable to open its answer for some reason. Says I don't have permission. If anyone knows the answer I would really appreciate it.

:)

lgentry, May 3, 2015

2. changing sign in screen name, email shown and photo

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I would like to ask few questions regarding this issue.

1) Which login screen background are you trying to change on the computer? Is it the User Login Screen or the System Login Screen?

2) What are the steps that you have already tried to change the login screen on the computer?

3) What exactly happens when you try to change the login screen by following the steps that you had tried for Windows 10?

4) Did you get any error message? If yes, what is the exact error message/code that you get?

It is important to understand the difference between the various lock and login screens in Windows 8. Some of these screens are controlled by individual user accounts, while others are system-wide defaults. Knowing which screen
    you need to change can be quite confusing, owed in part to the variety of terms used to refer to them as well as the subtle differences between the two "versions" of these two screens.

The 2 login screens available on Windows 8/8.1/10 are User Login Screen and System Login Screen. Let me give you a small description about these different screens.

When a user is logged in but has locked their account, they will see a lock screen image. By default, this is an illustrated image of the Seattle Space Needle. This screen is referred as the
    User Lock Screen.

If the same user were to log back into their account, they will be brought to a login screen with a solid color background that displays their account picture. This screen is theUser Login Screen.

When the last user is logged out of the computer, a lock screen image will display that is not tied to any individual user account. We will call this the
    System Lock Screen. This screen may initially seem indistinguishable from the user lock screen as by default both these screens have the same background image.

Now, pulling up the login screen from the system lock screen will display the various user accounts you can choose from to login. This screen is referred to as the
    System Login Screen. The background color on this screen is set independently of any one user account. Just as with the system lock screen, the only way this color can be changed is by editing an advanced setting.

Help us with more information to assist you further.

Guru Kiran G, May 3, 2015
  3. UndBen Win User
    Lock screen, user login screen

Yes like bossOr said, it is easy to change the lock screen with the time and date. But trying to change the background on the login screen is not obvious, because it is not the same background as the login screen as one would think. Or it doesn't seem
    like you can even have a personalized solid color like you could with windows 8.1

UndBen, May 3, 2015
  4. JoeShades Win User

JoeShades, May 3, 2015
  5. lgentry Win User
    Joe thank you for your answer but this utility will not work in Windows 10. Says there is a necessary file missing.
    I can't believe there is no way to make such a simple change. I can only hope the final build of Windows 10 will give the user more control.

lgentry, May 3, 2015
  6. JoeShades Win User
    Hmm maybe it is just a bug with the technical preview. i hope it works in windows 10

JoeShades, May 4, 2015
  7. I found this somewhere on the web, forgot where but:
    To change the BackGround Color of the "log-in" screen:

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ows-8-1-a.html

You can force a specific color combination using Group Policy.
    Open the Command Promp as administrator
    Run gpedit.msc as admin. Go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Control Panel > Personalization
    double-click on AND Enable "Force a specific background and accent color" and type in the colors in hex#
    =========

davidw1957, May 12, 2015
  8. lgentry Win User

Thanks for the reply David, but that won't work in Windows 10 either.

lgentry, May 16, 2015
  9. Gary Win User
    All you have to do is open up a wallpaper of your choice in Photos and click on the three dots in the upper right hand corner(...) and choose set as logon screen or whatever it is called.

10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    That would be for the "lock" screen instead. The "sign-in" screen would be different.

I'm not sure how to change the color of the sign-in screen without unwanted side effects yet though.

Brink, May 16, 2015
  11. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

If people absolutely want to change the colour of the Sign in Screen it IS possible but in a hideous long winded way.

Revert back to an EARLIER build - change to the colour of your choice and then do an UPDATE install to build 10041 !!!.

So there must be SOME configuration somewhere that keeps the settings !!!!

I like the old GREY sign in screen I had previously --note not the LOCK screen. I don't like the blue one that seems standard on a clean install.

In a VM doing an update install doesn't take too long !!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 16, 2015
  12. Cliff S New Member
    Maybe I can help. I have UltraSearch on my PC and can find just about anything since it uses the MFT.
    What kind of file type or name should I search for? I've tried signin login color, but it's usually for apps or internet.

Cliff S, May 16, 2015
  13. Edwin New Member

Go to Settings/Personalization/Colors:

Change color user login screen [​IMG]

... restart Explorer and you should be good.

Edwin, May 16, 2015
  14. Edwin New Member
    BTW, when you're done you could change these back to the way you want them:

Edwin, May 16, 2015
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, May 16, 2015
Thema:

1. Change color user login screen - Similar Threads - Change color user

2. Screen changes color

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen changes color: Why does my screen change to black background when my computer is idle for a short time and how to I fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screen-changes-color/7458fdf3-4cb6-421d-a441-1e3e4f6ff899
  3. Screen changes color

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screen changes color: Why does my screen change to black background when my computer is idle for a short time and how to I fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screen-changes-color/7458fdf3-4cb6-421d-a441-1e3e4f6ff899
  4. Screen changes color

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Change login screen background color

Change login screen background color: I upgraded my PC from 8.1 and I had a black background for the login screen before and after I had upgraded it had grandfathered that background color. Now that I did an in-place upgrade (to fix some bad windows files), it seems it has taken on the default blue since I have...
  6. Lock Screen Accent Color Frequently Changes to Another User's Color

Lock Screen Accent Color Frequently Changes to Another User's Color: Hi, So, when I am using the Windows lock screen, especially when I am not currently signed in, Windows tends to set my lock screen accent color to purple, much like my wife's account on the computer. She has chosen a purple accent color for her account, which is fine,...
  7. Solid color login screen?

Solid color login screen?: Hi! Does anyone know how to make ones login screen solid color? I tried the regfix at How to Change the Login Screen Background on Windows 10 but it doesn't seem to work here in Windows 10 Pro. Thanks! 14745
  8. Changing font color of the login-screen

Changing font color of the login-screen: Hello, is it possible to change the font-color of the username in the login-screen? Maybe changing the font and fontsize too? [img] Thanks. 42418
  9. Anyway to change color on login screen (accents etc)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Anyway to change color on login screen (accents etc): Hi there To change logon screen colour and background in W10 doesn't work any more. The Windows 8.1 method doesn't work any more -- if you choose the wrong colour at install time you are stuck with it. The option to change doesn't work from the desktop - It used to...
  10. Weird Colors on Login Screen

in Windows 10 Support
    Weird Colors on Login Screen: HP Pavilion dv7 Laptop. Windows 10 Home 64-bit. Starting a couple of days ago, on the login screen I now see some really messed up colors. But after signing in/waiting on the login screen, they seemingly disappear after 2 minutes. Here is a video of it. S5Gv3KcjTpw...