Windows 10: Change CPU do I need to buy Windows 10?

Discus and support Change CPU do I need to buy Windows 10? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So, I'm thinking about finally upgrading my CPU. I have Windows 10 installed, it was done as a free update from Microsoft. If I change my CPU now,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Traijan, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Traijan Win User

Change CPU do I need to buy Windows 10?

So, I'm thinking about finally upgrading my CPU.

I have Windows 10 installed, it was done as a free update from Microsoft. If I change my CPU now, will I have to buy a copy of Windows 10, or I can still use the existing license that I have from the free upgrade?

I'm Not changing the mainboard/motherboard.

Thanks

:)

Traijan, Mar 26, 2018
  2. BulldogXX Win User

If Computer Hardware Changes, Will the Windows 10 Activation Work After Formatting Computer?

If you change the CPU you will need to buy a Windows 10 license.

BulldogXX, Mar 26, 2018
  3. LCRT Win User
    Windows 10 After Hardware Changes

You're not doing a small hardware change - you're buying a whole new computer, from the looks of it.

4. kipper Win User

Not changing the MB....you should be fine...

kipper, Mar 26, 2018
  5. Bree New Member
    Your digital license from the free upgrade is tied to the hardware ID of the PC, and the CPU may well be part of that ID. Microsoft have never been open about what exactly counts towards the hardware ID, except to say that you can freely change the HDD.

Do you have Home or Pro? With Pro there is an activation troubleshooter for activating after significant hardware changes. Linking your license to your MS account is the first step, and may help with Home too.

Use Activation Troubleshooter in Windows 10

Link Microsoft Account to Windows 10 Digital License

6. kipper Win User
    I say you should be fine based on my changing three different Ryzen processors on my board and doing several resets and have not had a problem with activation......but then again maybe I am just a lucky kinda guy.......

kipper, Mar 27, 2018
  7. Hi,
    Yeah shouldn't matter but you never know when 10 will popup with a message significant hardware changes were made go to the store and buy win-10 *Tongue

ThrashZone, Mar 27, 2018
  8. simrick Win User

As Bree said, you should make sure your system is tied to your MS account. That way, if you do have any problems with activating after you replace the CPU, MS will be able to reacitvate it for you.

simrick, Mar 27, 2018
  9. Steve C Win User
    You should be fine. A few months ago I installed W10 on an old AMD PC. I then bought more cheap memory to double the memory capacity and installed a faster CPU I bought cheap on eBay. The activation was not affected in this upgrade. I also changed the system disk and it was still fine.

Steve C, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Change CPU do I need to buy Windows 10? - Similar Threads - Change CPU need

2. What do I need to prepare for with MOBO/CPU change?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    What do I need to prepare for with MOBO/CPU change?: Starting to run into motherboard MOBO issues computer won't start unless I CMOS reset it AND ethernet internet {ethernet port is on MOBO} sometimes doesn't work unless I restart the computer, so I'm thinking about replacing the motherboard and CPU.So.If I do that, will Win10...
  3. What do I need to prepare for with MOBO/CPU change?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What do I need to prepare for with MOBO/CPU change?: Starting to run into motherboard MOBO issues computer won't start unless I CMOS reset it AND ethernet internet {ethernet port is on MOBO} sometimes doesn't work unless I restart the computer, so I'm thinking about replacing the motherboard and CPU.So.If I do that, will Win10...
  4. What do I need to prepare for with MOBO/CPU change?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Do I need a new window key if I change my cpu

Do I need a new window key if I change my cpu: Do i need a new windows key if i upgrade my cpu https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/do-i-need-a-new-window-key-if-i-change-my-cpu/e912c171-7114-4569-b9b3-41cfd64603c2
  6. Do I need to buy a new version of Windows 10?

Do I need to buy a new version of Windows 10?: Hi A friend built my PC in 2011 using a OEM system builder pack version of Windows 7. I then upgraded my PC hard drive and moved Windows from HDD to SSD drive. I then later upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7. I would now like to build a new PC and install Windows 10...
  7. Do I really need to buy a new version of Windows 10?

Do I really need to buy a new version of Windows 10?: I just replaced my motherboard and in order for it to "take", for lack of a better word, I had to reinstall Windows 10 onto my computer so that it would register. The issue now is that, for some reason, my computer is telling me that I need to buy a new version of Windows. Do...
  8. Do I need to buy another Windows 10 Home, if I will upgrade my PC with new Motherboard, CPU...

Do I need to buy another Windows 10 Home, if I will upgrade my PC with new Motherboard, CPU...: Hello! Ok, most important thing here is Motherboard or CPU. So, I plan to upgrade this 3 components. I heard, that, if you upgrade motherboard, you lose Windows 10. But, don't get me wrong. I mean PREINSTALLED Windows 10 Home in PREMADE PC. So, I didn't buy Windows 10...
  9. Windows 10 (Do I really need to buy a new version)

Windows 10 (Do I really need to buy a new version): Decided to update my desktop computer with a new motherboard, chip , and memory . Went to the nearest computer store at the time , where they asked me what I was using on my present computer. I told them I had updated my previous version of windows XP with Windows 10 when it...
  10. Do i need to buy windows again?

in Windows 10 Support
    Do i need to buy windows again?: Hello guys so today i just changed my laptop's hard disk and the person who change my hard disk says that i need to buy windows again in order to receive windows 10 which im wondering if its true or not because i have an original windows before, so now i leave my laptop...