Windows 10: Change Cursor Color of Console Window in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Cursor Color of Console Window in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Cursor Color of Console Window in Windows 10 How to Change Cursor Color of Console Window in Windows 10 A console (or "terminal)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by sean051490, Oct 31, 2015.

1. Change Cursor Color of Console Window in Windows 10

How to: Change Cursor Color of Console Window in Windows 10

How to Change Cursor Color of Console Window in Windows 10

A console (or "terminal) is an application that provides I/O to character-mode applications.

For example: Linux

Starting with Windows 10 build 18298, when you open the properties page of any Console window, you will notice an additional Terminal tab containing several new settings for some experimental features.

The default cursor color of a console window is the calculated inverse of the background color.

See also: New Experimental Console Features Windows Command Line Tools For Developers

This tutorial will show you how to change the cursor color in a console window (ex: command prompt, PowerShell, Linux) for your account in Windows 10.

*note The cursor color you select for a console window will only be applied to the specific console window shortcut that opened it.

For example, command prompt opened via Win+X menu VS Run (Win+R) dialog. Each location would have its own settings.

EXAMPLE: Cursor color in a console window

Inverse Color: The current and default behavior where the cursor color is the calculated inverse of the background color which results in, for example, this pink against the bright green background.

Change Cursor Color of Console Window in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Use Color: Draw the cursor in a specific RGB color, like this green against dark gray background:

Here's How:

1. Open a Linux console window you want to change the cursor color for.

*note You could also just directly right click on the console window shortcut or file, click/tap on Properties, and go to step 3 below.

2. Right click or press and hold on the title bar of the console window, and click/tap on Properties. (see screenshot below)

3. Do step 4 (inverse color) or step 5 (custom color) below for what cursor color you want.

4. Use "Inverse Color" for Cursor Color in this Console Window
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Terminal tab. (see screenshot below)

B) Select (dot) Inverse Color in Cursor Colors settings.

C) Click/tap on OK to apply, and go to step 6 below.

5. Use "Use Color" for Custom Cursor Color in this Console Window
    A) Click/tap on the Terminal tab. (see screenshot below)

B) Select (dot) Use Color in Cursor Colors settings.

C) Enter the RGB numbers for the color you want.

Tip If you like, you can use Paint (mspaint.exe) to get the RGB numbers for a color you want.

1) Open Paint (mspaint.exe).
    2) Click/tap on Edit color on the toolbar in the Home tab.
    3) Select and adjust a color to what you want.
    4) Make note of the RGB numbers for the color.

D) Click/tap on OK to apply, and go to step 6 below.

6. You can now close the console window if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

sean051490, Oct 31, 2015
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Changing the taskbar color to white in Windows 10

Hi Michael,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated.

In Windows 10 there is no option for changing the color to white but you can change it to different colors. To change the color of the task bar I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• In the search box, type settings.
    • Then select personalization.
    • Click on color option on the left side.
    • You will find an option called “show color on start, taskbar and start icon”.
    • You need to on the option and then you can change the color accordingly.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Change Cursor Color of Console Window in Windows 10

Cursor Line not Changing Color to Blue

What you have suggested changes the color of the cursor.

I want the line item changed to blue when I place the cursor on it.

Kenneth Pincus, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Window background color - I don't appear to be able to do this on windows 10 as the change color scheme bit isn't there.

Hi Anton,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to change color scheme for Windows 10 and check if it helps.

• Right click on “Desktop screen”.
    • Then click on “Personalize”.
    • Click on “Colors”.
    • And change the color accordingly.

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Change Cursor Shape of Console Window in Windows 10  

I'm on the same build. So we don't have it yet.

OldGuyFromCdn, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Change Cursor Color of Console Window in Windows 10

1. Change Cursor Color of Console Window in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Cursor Color

2. Change cursor color

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change cursor color: Hi, how can i change just the color of my cursor? whenever i try it also changes the "working" one and the "busy" one... the "busy" is easy to replace with the normal aero, but i an't find out how to get just a black aero... here's a video showing what happens when i try......
  3. Window Cursor Color

in Windows 10 Customization
    Window Cursor Color: How to change window cursor color and text color? I need a yellow background and a black text... [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/window-cursor-color/b40a5ebe-fc8e-4acb-b98a-a245827b8b20
  4. How to change animated loading cursor color when you change cursor color

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to change animated loading cursor color when you change cursor color: Im trying to change the color of the pointer in the aero_working.ani cursor https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-animated-loading-cursor-color-when/5dbf4760-4d8e-462f-80c2-519ab31887ce
  5. Cursor Line not Changing Color to Blue

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cursor Line not Changing Color to Blue: I just upgrade to Windows version 1903 from Windows version 1809. When I right click on the desktop a menu of items appear. I then move my cursor (arrow) to the item I want to select. The line would change color (blue) when I chose the item. That what it did under windows...
  6. Change Text Cursor Indicator Color in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Text Cursor Indicator Color in Windows 10: How to: Change Text Cursor Indicator Color in Windows 10 How to Change Text Cursor Indicator Color in Windows 10 The cursor is that blinking line at the end of what you are typing in Windows. Have you ever had an issue finding the text cursor in the middle of a large...
  7. Change Cursor Size for Console Window in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Cursor Size for Console Window in Windows: How to: Change Cursor Size for Console Window in Windows How to Change Cursor Size for Console Window in Windows A console (or "terminal) is an application that provides I/O to character-mode applications. For example: Linux This tutorial will show you how to...
  8. Change Terminal Colors of Console Window in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Terminal Colors of Console Window in Windows 10: How to: Change Terminal Colors of Console Window in Windows 10 How to Change Foreground and Background Terminal Colors of Console Window in Windows 10 A console (or "terminal) is an application that provides I/O to character-mode applications. For example: Linux...
  9. Change Cursor Shape of Console Window in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Cursor Shape of Console Window in Windows 10: How to: Change Cursor Shape of Console Window in Windows 10 How to Change Cursor Shape of Console Window in Windows 10 A console (or "terminal) is an application that provides I/O to character-mode applications. For example: Linux Starting with Windows 10 build...
  10. Customize Colors of Console Window in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Customize Colors of Console Window in Windows: How to: Customize Colors of Console Window in Windows How to Customize Colors of Console Window in Windows A console (or "terminal) is an application that provides I/O to character-mode applications. For example: Linux In Windows, you can change the color of the...