Windows 10: Change Deadline before Auto-restart for Update in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Deadline before Auto-restart for Update in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Deadline before Auto-restart for Update in Windows 10 How to Change Deadline before Auto-restart for Update in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Change Deadline before Auto-restart for Update in Windows 10

How to: Change Deadline before Auto-restart for Update in Windows 10

How to Change Deadline before Auto-restart for Update in Windows 10

Microsoft has made it easier for Windows Update to keep Windows 10 updated by automatically downloading and installing the latest features and improvements, drivers, and hotfixes released by Microsoftand with fewer interruptions and restarts when you're using your PC the most. The latest updates will automatically download and install when theyre available. (Unless youre on a check for updates.)

After an update is installed, Windows 10 attempts automatic restart outside of warning notification that restart is required.

If you like, you can use the Specify deadline before auto-restart for update installation policy to specify the deadline in days before automatically executing a scheduled restart outside of active hours. The deadline can be set from the default 7 days to a number between 2 and 30 days from the time the restart is scheduled.

The deadline can be specified separately for quality updates and feature updates.
    Feature updates
    With Windows 10, Microsoft will package new features into feature updates that can be deployed using existing management tools. Because feature updates are delivered more frequently than with previous Windows releases — two to three times per year rather than every 3–5 years — changes will be in bite-sized chunks rather than all at once and end user readiness time much shorter.

Quality updates
    Monthly updates in previous Windows versions were often overwhelming because of the sheer number of updates available each month. Many organizations selectively chose which updates they wanted to install and which they didn’t, and this created countless scenarios in which organizations deployed essential security updates but picked only a subset of nonsecurity fixes.

In Windows 10, rather than receiving several updates each month and trying to figure out which the organization needs, which ultimately causes platform fragmentation, administrators will see one cumulative monthly update that supersedes the previous month’s update, containing both security and nonsecurity fixes. This approach makes patching simpler and ensures that customers’ devices are more closely aligned with the testing done at Microsoft, reducing unexpected issues resulting from patching.
    This tutorial will show you how to change the deadline in days before automatically executing a scheduled restart outside of active hours for a Windows Update in Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to change the deadline before auto-restart for update installation.

Change Deadline before Auto-restart for Update in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Warning If any of the following two policies are enabled, this policy has no effect:

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update

1. No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates installations
    2. Always automatically restart at scheduled time

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Change Deadline before Auto-restart for Update in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: Change Deadline before Auto-restart for Update in Registry Editor

EXAMPLE: Auto-restart imminent warning notification for updates

OPTION ONE [/i] Change Deadline before Auto-restart for Update in Local Group Policy Editor

*note The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Two below.
    1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update

3. In the right pane of Windows Update in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Specify deadline before auto-restart for update installation policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (default) or step 6 (specify) below for what you would like to do.

5. Use Default Deadline before Auto-restart for Update
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

6. Specify Deadline before Auto-restart for Update
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, and perform the actions below:
    • In the Quality Updates drop menu, select between 2 to 30 days you want for its deadline.
    • In the Feature Updates drop menu, select between 2 to 30 days you want for its deadline.
    • Click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. When finished, close the Local Group Policy Editor.

OPTION TWO [/i] Change Deadline before Auto-restart for Update in Registry Editor
    1. Do step 2 (specify) or step 3 (default) below for what you would like to do.

2. Specify Deadline before Auto-restart for Update
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below.

*note This downloadable .reg file will add the registry keys and values for you to make it easier to specify what you want starting at step 2D below.
    Add_to_registry_Deadline_before_auto-restart_for_updates.reg

Download
    B) Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

C) When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

D) Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

E) Navigate to the key below in the left pane of Registry Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate

F) In the right pane of the WindowsUpdate key, double click/tap on the AutoRestartDeadlinePeriodInDays DWORD to modify it. (see screenshot below step 2E)

G) Select (dot) Decimal, type a number between 2 and 30 for how many days auto-restart deadline you want for quality updates, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

H) In the right pane of the WindowsUpdate key, double click/tap on the AutoRestartDeadlinePeriodInDaysForFeatureUpdates DWORD to modify it. (see screenshot below step 2E)

I) Select (dot) Decimal, type a number between 2 and 30 for how many days auto-restart deadline you want for feature updates, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

J) Close Registry Editor, and go to step 4 below.

3. Use Default Deadline before Auto-restart for Update
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below.
    Default_Deadline_before_auto-restart_for_updates.reg

Download
    B) Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

C) When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

D) Go to step 4 below.
    4. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Mar 1, 2018

2. Windows 10 auto restarts

"Between all suggestions, including the one there, there is nothing that has worked." I hate to sound reduntant but I just had to repeat myself since it still applies.
    An additional factore that may have bearing is that at some point my system converted to trying to boot off of my external drive if it is plugged in. Nothing has worked in attempting to resolve that issue either. As I said it may or may not have a bearing on the restart issue.*sarc

bobsscgirl, Oct 27, 2019
  3. auto trivia restart script?

I know everyone is so busy here so I'm suggesting an auto restart script so trivia is a benefit instead of a burden. Can anyone make this script?

vectoravtech, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Change Deadline before Auto-restart for Update in Windows 10

ANSWERED: Unsolicited Auto Restart

Hi Ralph,

Broken system files, software conflicts, or update incompatibility can cause issues such as encountering blue screen errors and auto-restarts. To isolate this issue, please answer the following questions:

• Aside from the updates, were there other changes made to your computer prior to the issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you boot your computer in
    safe mode with networking
    and see if the issue still persists. By performing this, we can isolate if there is any third party app that is causing your computer to restart on its own.

In addition, if you will encounter blue screen errors again, you may follow the steps found on this

article
    to resolve it.

We're looking forward to your response.

Katrina Men, Oct 27, 2019
  5. pepanee Win User
    Windows 10 auto restarts

Supposedly this solution works: Disable automatic restart Windows 10 - Microsoft Community

I did those steps (going to gpedit.msc, etc..) because I want to disable the computer from auto-restarting. There is a bug in Windows 10.

I access my computer remotely sometimes from my phone. Yet if I'm not near the computer, and auto updates restarted the computer, then the computer isn't going to fully turn on! I have BitLocker enabled on my hard drive. This means that I need to be at the computer, locally, to type in the password, to start up the computer. Auto updates causes the computer to restart, yet BitLocker prevents it from fully starting back up. This issue needs to be reviewed by Microsoft for some solution in Windows 10.

But I found that link up there earlier today, and that is definitely a more preferred option, assuming that it works! I hope it does!

pepanee, Oct 27, 2019
  6. 3Colors Win User
    Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Change Deadline before Auto-restart for Update in Windows 10 :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Change Deadline before Auto-restart for Update in Windows 10

1. Change Deadline before Auto-restart for Update in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Deadline before

2. Clients updating before deadline

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clients updating before deadline: I have been playing around with the GPO settings regarding the Install day and week, but I’m 100% sure that a lot of clients are installing updates before the actual Install day is reached, even though the GPO is being applied I even checked the registry settings. There is no...
  3. Clients updating before deadline

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clients updating before deadline: I have been playing around with the GPO settings regarding the Install day and week, but I’m 100% sure that a lot of clients are installing updates before the actual Install day is reached, even though the GPO is being applied I even checked the registry settings. There is no...
  4. Clients updating before deadline

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. auto restart in windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    auto restart in windows 10: After a power surge I am unable to shut down my computer. When I attempt to shut down, it restarts automatically. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/auto-restart-in-windows-10/d3fd76a3-4662-4637-bb98-9826da98e766
  6. How to specify deadline before auto-restart for Update installation in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to specify deadline before auto-restart for Update installation in Windows 10: [ATTACH]On Windows 10, Microsoft has rolled out a setting which notifies you after downloading a feature update in Windows 10. In the end, you have […] This article How to specify deadline before auto-restart for Update installation in Windows 10 first appeared on...
  7. Windows Updates auto restart

Windows Updates auto restart: I have a windows 10 machine running windows server 2016 essentials. I have a update that is pending restart outside active hours. I want to deactivate this and only restart when I tell it too. Can you help me with the settings I need to change....
  8. Specify Deadlines for Automatic Updates and Restarts in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Specify Deadlines for Automatic Updates and Restarts in Windows 10: How to: Specify Deadlines for Automatic Updates and Restarts in Windows 10 How to Specify Deadlines for Automatic Updates and Restarts in Windows 10 Windows Update keeps Windows 10 updated by downloading and installing the latest updates, drivers, and hotfixes released...
  9. Windows 10 auto restarts

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 auto restarts: I have tried to stop pc from restarting automatically and following different site suggestions has not worked. Suggestions please. 69204
  10. Windows 10 upgrade deadline?

Windows 10 upgrade deadline?: It must be getting close to the 1-year interval for W10 upgrades, and I'm not good with dates. Is it too late? My computer is 5 years old. Here's my experience with upgrading to 10: First, I ran the upgrader from Windows 7, and got upgraded with no trouble. There were a...