Windows 10: Change Default Account Picture in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Default Account Picture in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Default Account Picture in Windows 10 How to Change Default Account Picture in Windows 10 [img] Information When changes their... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Change Default Account Picture in Windows 10

How to: Change Default Account Picture in Windows 10

How to Change Default Account Picture in Windows 10

Change Default Account Picture in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information When changes their account picture or when their Microsoft account picture syncs.

This tutorial will show you how to change the default account picture used for new accounts in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to change the default account picture.

CONTENTS:

EXAMPLE: Locations where you will see the account picture

OPTION ONE [/i] To Change Default Account Picture
    1. Open the folder below in File Explorer (Win+E).
    *Arrow %ProgramData%\Microsoft\User Account Pictures

2. Rename the user.png, user-32.png, user-40.png, user-48.png, and user-192.png files to add .bak to the end of their file name extension as user.png.bak, user-32.png.bak, user-40.png.bak, user-48.png.bak, and user-192.png.bak. (see screenshots below)

Note These .bak files will be your backup of the original default account picture.

You will have to click/tap on Yes to approve after each file you rename.

3. Copy the PNG file you want to use as the default account picture into this folder, and rename it as user.png. Repeat this process until you have copied and renamed for the other user-32.png, user-40.png, user-48.png, and user-192.png files. (see screenshot below)

Note If you like, here's the transparent 256x256 pixel PNG file I used in this example to download and use.

4. Sometimes you may need to restart the computer to fully apply.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Restore Default Account Picture
    1. Open the folder below in File Explorer (Win+E).
    *Arrow %ProgramData%\Microsoft\User Account Pictures

2. Select and delete your custom user.png, user-32.png, user-40.png, user-48.png, and user-192.png files added using Option One.

3. Rename the user.png.bak, user-32.png.bak, user-40.png.bak, user-48.png.bak, and user-192.png.bak files to remove .bak from the end of their file name extension as user.png, user-32.png, user-40.png, user-48.png, and user-192.png. (see screenshots below)

Note You will have to click/tap on Yes to approve after each file you rename.

Tip If you lost your original user.png, user-32.png, user-40.png, user-48.png, and user-192.png files, then you can download a copy below to use to restore them.

Download

4. Sometimes you may need to restart the computer to fully apply.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Aug 14, 2017

2. Unable to change account picture, error: Account picture error, Setting the account picture failed

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

As you are unable to change the profile picture on Windows 10, please do let us know how exactly you are trying to change it.

I suggest you to try the below and check if it helps to change the profile picture.

Steps:

• Log-in with administrator account.

• Go to system root drive on which
      Windows is installed currently, that is usually C: drive.

• Click on View
      in the title bar, then check the Hidden items. Now click the
      ProgramData folder.

• Navigate to Microsoft\User Account Pictures.

• In the User Accounts Pictures folder, you’ll see the default user account pictures. You’ll just need to replace these pictures with your desired picture for user account.

• Manipulate your desired image for user account picture in the same format and same size and
      replace the default ones.

• Now reboot the system and you’ll be able to get your desired image as user account picture.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue and required information, we will be happy to assist you further.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Account picture error. Setting the account picture failed.

Hey replacing the default avatars does not help either as you can see by this photo taken before replacing with your download still same result in error... I have the default photos already listed in shown directory...

MrWhispers, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Brink Win User

Brink, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Brink Win User
    Change Account Picture in Windows 10  

I've updated step 5 in OPTION ONE in the tutorial to help show you what to do to select the default account picture again. Change Default Account Picture in Windows 10 :)

Brink, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Account picture error. Setting the account picture failed.

Account picture error. Setting the account picture failed. Please try again.

Just installed the new Windows 10 v1809 Build 17763.55 LTSC 2019 EnterpriseSN Version N

have the default grey person avatar...

every time I try to change my avatar to any custom image I get the following error.
    "Account picture error. Setting the account picture failed. Please try again."

Things I tried already
    • sfc /scannow
    • DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    • chkdsk C: /f /r /x
    • Apply the default user logon picture to all users via gpedit.msc
    • %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\AccountPictures
    • ProgramData\Microsoft\User Account Pictures
    • ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\SystemData
    • Taking ownership of the directory\files as well as renaming directory to "*.old"
    • Creating a new user-account
    • Windows 10 In-Place Upgrade / Reset / Refresh

Nothing above has seemed to work as its still not changing my windows login screen / user avatar...

Out of ideas...

MrWhispers, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Change Default Account Picture in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Default Account

2. Change Default Location of Picture Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change Default Location of Picture Folder: I want to change the default location of my pictures folder from out of my OneDrive and just under the main user folder. I keep getting this error. Is there a workaround for this?...
  3. Change Default Location of Picture Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change Default Location of Picture Folder: I want to change the default location of my pictures folder from out of my OneDrive and just under the main user folder. I keep getting this error. Is there a workaround for this?...
  4. Changing default account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Changing default account: I just logged into a new computer and accidentally logged into my mum's microsoft account as the default account. How can I remove that account from my computer and set mine as the primary/default account?...
  5. Changing default account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing default account: I just logged into a new computer and accidentally logged into my mum's microsoft account as the default account. How can I remove that account from my computer and set mine as the primary/default account?...
  6. Changing default account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Changing default appication for pictures

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing default appication for pictures: I cannot update/change what default app is used to open pictures. I keep clicking on Microsoft Office 2010, and it will not save. It switches automatically back to "Photos"...
  8. Apply Default Account Picture to All Users in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Apply Default Account Picture to All Users in Windows 10: How to: Apply Default Account Picture to All Users in Windows 10 How to Apply Default Account Picture to All Users in Windows 10 [img] Information When changes their account picture or when their Microsoft account picture syncs. If you like, you can standardize the...
  9. Change Account Picture in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Account Picture in Windows 10: How to: Change Account Picture in Windows 10 How to Change Your Account Picture in Windows 10 Your picture is associated with your user account in Windows 10, so youll see it whenever you sign in to your PC and on Start. You can use one of your own favorite photos...
  10. Windows 10 Default Pictures

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Default Pictures: I don't know if I'm the only one or not, but I find the default pictures of Windows 10 quite amazing. So amazing in fact, that I want to use them in various other places, like, for example, on my other Windows 7 PC. Does anybody know their location ? PS: I'm talking about...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows cannot change account picture