Windows 10: Change Default Action of Power Button in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Default Action of Power Button in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Default Action of Power Button in Windows 10 How to Change Default Action of Power Button in Windows 10 The Power Options lets users... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Change Default Action of Power Button in Windows 10

How to: Change Default Action of Power Button in Windows 10

How to Change Default Action of Power Button in Windows 10

The Power Options lets users specify the default action to take when the system hardware power button on the PC is pressed.

Users can specify one of the following actions to take: do nothing, sleep, hibernate, shut down, or turn off the display.

This tutorial will show you how to change the default action to take when users press the PC case hardware power button in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Change Default Power Button Action in Power Options
    • Option Two: To Change Default Power Button Action in Advanced Power Options
    • Option Three: To Change Default Power Button Action for Current Power Plan in Command Prompt
    • Option Four: To Change Default Power Button Action for Specific Power Plan in Command Prompt

OPTION ONE [/i] To Change Default Power Button Action in Power Options
    1. Open Power Options. (see screenshot below)

Change Default Action of Power Button in Windows 10 [​IMG]

2. Click/tap on the Choose what the power buttons do or Choose what the power button does link on the left side. (see screenshot below)

3. In the When I press the power button drop menus, select the action you want, and click/tap on Save changes. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] To Change Default Power Button Action in Advanced Power Options
    1. Open Advanced Power Options.

2. Expand open Power buttons and lid and Power button action. (see screenshot below)

3. Select the action you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

OPTION THREE [/i] To Change Default Power Button Action for Current Power Plan in Command Prompt
    1. Open a command prompt.

2. Enter the command below you want to use into the command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    (On battery)
    Code:
    OR

(Plugged in)
    Code:
    *note Substitute Index in the command above with the number below for the default action you want set for the power button.

[table][tr][td]Index Number[/td] [td]Action[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]0[/td] [td]Do nothing[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]1[/td] [td]Sleep[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]2[/td] [td]Hibernate[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]3[/td] [td]Shut down[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]4[/td] [td]Turn off the display[/td] [/tr] [/table]

For example:

Code:
    3. Enter the command below into the command prompt, and press Enter to apply the change. You can now close the command prompt if you like.
    *Arrow powercfg -SetActive SCHEME_CURRENT

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Change Default Power Button Action for Specific Power Plan in Command Prompt
    1. Open a command prompt.

2. Enter the command below into the command prompt, and press Enter. Make note of the GUID number (ex: 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c) of the power plan you want to apply this to. (see screenshot below)

*note The power plan (ex: High performance) with a * to the right of it is your current active power plan scheme.
    *Arrow powercfg /L

3. Enter the command below you want to use into the command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    (On battery)
    Code:
    OR

(Plugged in)
    Code:
    *note Substitute GUID in the command above with the actual GUID from step 2 above for the power plan you want to apply this to.

Substitute Index in the command above with the number below for the default action you want set for the power button.

[table][tr][td]Index Number[/td] [td]Action[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]0[/td] [td]Do nothing[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]1[/td] [td]Sleep[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]2[/td] [td]Hibernate[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]3[/td] [td]Shut down[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]4[/td] [td]Turn off the display[/td] [/tr] [/table]

For example: Set to "Do nothing" for the High performance power plan GUID (8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c)

Code:

4. Enter the command below into the command prompt, and press Enter to apply the change. (see screenshot below)

*note This command will set the power plan for the GUID as your restart the computer to apply the changes instead of doing this step.
    *Arrow powercfg -SetActive GUID

*note Substitute GUID in the command above with the same GUID from step 2 above for the power plan you want to apply this to.

For example: powercfg -SetActive 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Mar 15, 2017
  2. Masterchiefxx17, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Brink Win User
    How to customize power button in Start menu?

Hello Janeo, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

The power button in the Start menu will now only open a menu to select which action you want to perform. Because of this, there is no default action for the Start power button anymore in Windows 10.

If you like, you can still change the default action for the case power button.

*Arrow Change Default Action of Power Button in Windows 10

Brink, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Ztruker Win User

Power options - Choose what the power buttons do - Change in REGISTRY

See Shawn's tutorial, Option 3 via Command Prompt: Power Button Default Action - Change in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums.

You would have to parse the output of powercfg /l from a Command Prompt or your program then issue the command shown for the GUID of the active Power Plan.

Ztruker, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Ryan Mon1 Win User
    Can't Change Power Settings

Thank you for the quick response. We will now move to the second phase of troubleshooting. We suggest that you follow the steps provided below:

Method 1: Run the Power Troubleshooter.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with your system's power settings. Here's how:

• In the search box, type troubleshooting, and then click
      Troubleshooting
    • Click on the view all option on the left panel.
    • Run the Power troubleshooter.

Method 2: Customize Power options.

If issue persists, the the following steps and check.

• In the search box, type Power options, and then click.
    • Click on choose when to turn off display from the left pane.
    • Click on Restore default settings for this plan.
    • Click on Change advance power settings.
    • Scroll down and expand Power buttons and lid.
    • Expand Power button actions.
    • Click on the Setting and set it to Shut down.

Update us with the outcome so we can provide further assistance.

Ryan Mon1, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Windows 10 power buttons not working.

Hi Gerry,

I would suggest you to try the steps below and check if this helps.

Step 1:

I suggest you to run the Power troubleshooter and check if it fixes the issue. Follow the steps given below:

You can run the Power troubleshooter to adjust your computer's power settings. The Power troubleshooter checks things like your computer's timeout settings, which determine how long the computer waits before turning off the monitor display or entering
    sleep mode. Adjusting these settings can help you conserve power and extend your computer's battery life.

• Press Windows + X keys on the keyboard and select
      Control Panel
    • Type Troubleshooting in the search bar on the
      Control Panel.
    • Click on View all on the left navigation pane.
    • Click on Power.
    • Click on Advanced on the
      Power
      dialog box and click on Run as administrator (Enter the credentials if required).
    • Click on Next and follow onscreen instruction complete the Power troubleshooter.
    Step 2:

Try to restore the default power plan settings and check to isolate the issue.

• Press Windows + R keys on the keyboard to open Run command.
    • Type powercfg.cpl to open the power settings.
    • Click on Change plan settings beside your current plan.
    • Click on Restore default setting for this plan and click on
      OK if prompted.
    Let us know the status of the issue to assist you further.

ThofikhAhamad, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Change Default Action of Power Button in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Default Action

2. Windows Power Button default state

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Power Button default state: Ok, so I've had a discussion regarding what the default setting is for the Power button of a PC. So I have a friend that just had a new PC, with a clean Windows 11 Pro installation on it. But her cat sometimes is laying down on her PC case. And then sometimes it happens that...
  3. Windows Power Button default state

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Power Button default state: Ok, so I've had a discussion regarding what the default setting is for the Power button of a PC. So I have a friend that just had a new PC, with a clean Windows 11 Pro installation on it. But her cat sometimes is laying down on her PC case. And then sometimes it happens that...
  4. How to change Power button action when on battery or plugged in

in Windows 10 News
    How to change Power button action when on battery or plugged in: [ATTACH]In this post, we will show you how to change the Power button action […] This article How to change Power button action when on battery or plugged in first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  5. Missing Hibernate Button/Action in Power Menu.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Missing Hibernate Button/Action in Power Menu.: Trying to get the hibernate button/action back in the power menu on Windows 10 1903. Any help is appreciated. *Wink [img] 134426
  6. Change Windows default email action?

in Browsers and Email
    Change Windows default email action?: I used Gmail in Chrome to send/receive my email. When I click on an email address that is on a website or anywhere else, Windows by default opens it's own email window and wants me to use that rather than Gmail to send & receive messages. I want no part of that and would like...
  7. Changing Explorer Default Action

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing Explorer Default Action: For htm files, the default windows action is Open. Click on it and it opens the file in your browser. Problem is I don't want to do this. I want to edit the htm file, but I can't seem to find anything to change the default. This doesn't seem to be an option anywhere. I could...
  8. Add or Remove Power button action from Power Options in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Power button action from Power Options in Windows: How to: Add or Remove Power button action from Power Options in Windows How to Add or Remove "Power button action" from Power Options in Windows The Power Options lets users specify the default action to take when the system hardware power button on the PC is pressed....
  9. Change Drag and Drop Default Action in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Drag and Drop Default Action in Windows: How to: Change Drag and Drop Default Action in Windows How to Change Default Drag and Drop Action in Windows [img] Information When you drag and drop files and folders in Windows, they will get moved or copied by default based on the source and destination locations....
  10. Change Lid Close Default Action in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Lid Close Default Action in Windows 10: How to: Change Lid Close Default Action in Windows 10 How to Change Default Action of Closing Lid in Windows 10 The Power Options lets users specify the default action to take when the laptop (system) lid is closed. Users can specify one of the following actions to...