Windows 10: Change Default Audio Playback Device in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Default Audio Playback Device in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Default Audio Playback Device in Windows 10 How to Change Default Sound Output Device in Windows 10 The default audio playback... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by bighair, Jan 13, 2018.

1. bighair Win User

Change Default Audio Playback Device in Windows 10

How to: Change Default Audio Playback Device in Windows 10

How to Change Default Sound Output Device in Windows 10

The default audio playback device is the device that Windows uses to output (play) sound.

When you connect speakers, headphones, Bluetooth headset, or other audio devices to your PC, you can select which device you want to use by default.

This tutorial will show you different ways to change the default audio playback (output) device for your account in Windows 10.

Contents
    • Option One: Change Default Audio Playback Device from Volume icon on Taskbar
    • Option Two: Change Default Audio Playback Device from Settings
    • Option Three: Change Default Audio Playback Device from Sound Control Panel
    • Option Four: Change Default Audio Playback Device from Game Bar

OPTION ONE [/i] Change Default Audio Playback Device from Volume icon on Taskbar
    1 Click/tap on the Volume icon on the taskbar notification area. (see screenshot below)

Change Default Audio Playback Device in Windows 10 [​IMG]

2 Click/tap on the expansion arrow above the master volume control. (see screenshot below)

You will not see an expansion arrow if you do not have multiple audio playback devices.

3 Click/tap on the playback device you want to use from the menu. Windows will then switch to it. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] Change Default Audio Playback Device from Settings
    This option is only available starting with Windows 10 build 17035.

1 Open Settings, and click/tap on the System icon.

2 Click/tap on Sound on the left side, and Choose your output device you want from the drop menu on the right side. (see screenshot below)

You will not be able to choose if you do not have multiple audio playback devices.

3 When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] Change Default Audio Playback Device from Sound Control Panel
    1 Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the Sound icon.

If you like, you can open Run (Win+R), copy and paste the command below into Run, and click/tap on OK to directly open "Playback" devices in the Sound panel.

rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL mmsys.cpl,,0

2 Click/tap on the Playback tab, and perform one of the actions below you want to use to set the default playback device. (see screenshots below)
    • Right click or press and hold on the playback device, and click/tap on Set a Default Device.
    • Select a playback device, and either:
      • Click/tap on Set Default to set for both "Default Device" and "Default Communications Device".
      • Click/tap on the drop menu arrow to the right of Set Default, and click/tap on Default Device.
      • Click/tap on the drop menu arrow to the right of Set Default, and click/tap on Default Communication Device. This will not be the "Default Device"

3 Click/tap on OK when finished. (see screenshot below)

OPTION FOUR [/i] Change Default Audio Playback Device from Game Bar
    This option is only available starting with Windows 10 build 17692.

1 Open the Game Bar (Win+G).

2 Select the default audio output device you want. (see screenshot below)

You will not be able to choose if you do not have multiple audio output devices.

3 When finished, you can close the Game Bar if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

bighair, Jan 13, 2018
  2. NavazKhan Win User
    NavazKhan, Jan 13, 2018
  3. GEK1964 Win User
    Can't get stereo sound in Windows 10

Yes, my PC has the Dell Audio Manager. I have tried changing various settings with this to see if any provide the sound.

I have ensured that Stereo configuration is selected in both the Dell Audio Manager and in Speaker Setup under Playback Devices in the Windows UI for sound settings, where the Realtek Audio device is selected as the default (and only connected audio device).

I have tried changing the default format under Speaker Properties, selecting each possible 24 bit, Studio Quality frequency option. No change. I even tried 16 bit. No change.

With the Dell Audio Manager, I have tried changing the Speaker Enhancement option from MaxxSense to Music. No Change. I also tried turning the Speaker Enhancement Off entirely. No change.

Under , Windows Sound settings, Recording tab, the "Stereo Mix" is disabled. Could this also be affecting my Playback? Under the Playback tab Properties, the device status claims its working.

GEK1964, Jan 13, 2018
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello bighair, *Smile

Sorry, but Option Two is only available starting with Windows 10 build 17035,

Brink, Jan 13, 2018
Thema:

1. Change Default Audio Playback Device in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Default Audio

2. Select playback device doesn't change the default communication device.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Select playback device doesn't change the default communication device.: I often switch between my headset and the monitor for audio, and while this is simply done for most applications by clicking the volume icon in the taskbar and changing devices, this only changes the default audio device, not the default communication device. This becomes a...
  3. Audio Playback Devices

Audio Playback Devices: Hello, Im trying to configure my audio in OBS to get two separate tracks, one for game sound, one for everything else. Heres the issue: I need two separate playback devices that both output audio. In the videos I watched, they had Realtek(R) Audio, which I have and use, and...
  4. Audio playback devices

Audio playback devices: Hello, Im trying to configure my audio in OBS to get two separate tracks, one for game sound, one for everything else. Heres the issue: I need two separate playback devices that both output audio. In the videos I watched, they had Realtek(R) Audio, which I have and use, and...
  5. Audio playback devices

Audio playback devices: hello, Im trying to configure my audio in OBS to get two separate tracks, one for game sound, one for everything else. Heres the issue: I need two separate playback devices that both output audio. In the videos I watched, they had Realtek(R) Audio, which I have and use, and...
  6. Audio playback devices

Audio playback devices: hello, Im trying to configure my audio in OBS to get two separate tracks, one for game sound, one for everything else. Heres the issue: I need two separate playback devices that both output audio. In the videos I watched, they had Realtek(R) Audio, which I have and use, and...
  7. Cannot Change Default Playback Device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot Change Default Playback Device: I did a fresh install of windows 10 pro from windows 7 and I'm already starting to hate myself. I open the playback devices tab under sound and click on my Siberia v2 illuminated headset and click set as default device and it does nothing. I can't disable my speakers or...
  8. Setting default audio playback

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Setting default audio playback: I've had trouble with Rocksmith 2014 remastered and sent an email to Ubisoft forum and they told me to do the following to fix the problem: This issue is almost always solved by changing the default audio playback to be DVD quality. 1. Navigate to Control Panel -->...
  9. Change Audio Playback Device & Change Active Window in cmd

in Windows 10 Support
    Change Audio Playback Device & Change Active Window in cmd: Basically what the title says. I need to be able to: 1. Change the audio playback device to a specific device. 2. Change the active window. Both need to be able to be done in cmd. How would I be able to do that? 32411
  10. Windows 10 and Playback Sounds device defaults

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 and Playback Sounds device defaults: My DELL laptop with Win10 is usually coupled to a HD Monitor with speakers. When I disconnect it and go mobile, Win10 doesn't automatically find and default to the laptop's own speakers??? Any ideas please how to get Win10 to handle this? 50797

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Playback Devices Control Panel

2. playback device is automatically changing from bluetooth device to realtek