Windows 10: Change default details view for MTP devices?

Discus and support Change default details view for MTP devices? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Windows 10 insists that the camera folder on my phone is going to be viewed as though it contains music and won't allow changing its default to just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Galane, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Galane Win User

Change default details view for MTP devices?

Windows 10 insists that the camera folder on my phone is going to be viewed as though it contains music and won't allow changing its default to just generic file details.

Thus the details view header has a bunch of categories that are useless for photos, track name, duration etc. To get the date I have to right click on the header and check Date Authored. It's a DCIM folder for *photos* so why is it defaulting to settings for music?

Is there a way to hack this to make it by default use the general files details view for all folders, no matter the type of files in them? 99.99% of the time I only need to see the file name, type, size and date, no matter what kind of file it is.

:)

Galane, Oct 15, 2016

2. Customizing MTP Folders in W10

It look like it is still not possible to customise permanently the default Explorer view for MTP devices in Windows 10.

The view is set to "Tiles" by default. This view is king of useless for MTP devices, since picture thumbnail are not shown.

When you switch to Details view the default columns does not make sense: they are set up for a musique player device, which was fine 10 years ago but is no longer relevant today with Android smartphone being the dominant MTP device.

You can not save a customised view as the default for all future MTP devices, the "Apply to Folders" option is grayed out.

Pierre-Jean DEVILLE, Oct 15, 2016
  3. Is there a way to change the default Windows 10 File Explorer layout view, regardless of content type

When using Windows 10 File explorer to open directories, folders and sub-folders, the default layout view changes depending on the file content type in the folders.

Music, Pictures, Videos, application files etc...

The majority of default view is Large Icons. I always have to manually change them to 'Details'

When I manually change the view of a specific folder to 'Details', Windows seems to remember that as a preference because the next time I open that same folder, it retains the last layout view I used.

As I cannot change the layout view manually for each and every folder,

How can I change the default layout view for every existing folder and every newly created folder to open in a 'Details' layout view.

**moved from Windows / Windows 10 / Desktop, Start, & Personalization.

Chuck_Bytes, Oct 15, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

You have to make the change on your phone not the computer. It does help to know the mfg, model and OS on your phone.

bro67, Oct 15, 2016
  5. Galane Win User
    Samsung Galaxy S4 running Lollipop. I haven't found any such settings on the phone. I get two choices for USB connection, Camera (PTP) or Media Device (MTP).

MTP allows all files to be seen. Camera only shows photos to the computer the phone is connected to.

With normal USB Mass Storage devices Windows lets the user select which sort of details to view, but when you remove and replace the device it defaults back to large icons. It's MY computer, I should be able to select what view *I* want and have it stay that way.

I've been thinking about installing Cyanogenmod's Marshmallow build for it. It probably has a normal USB Mass Storage option. MTP is extremely slow and won't allow saving downloads directly to phone storage from a computer. They have to be downloaded to storage on the computer, then moved to the phone.

Galane, Oct 15, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    The change is done in the settings on your phone, not in windows as I stated. Any information on this you can get from various Android forums and also Howardforums.com. Otherwise you could run AndFTP or AndSMB to share files between the device and your network.

If you install the modified OS, you really are not solving anything, since you still have to make the changes in the behavior of storage on the phone from Pictures to physical storage.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Change default details view for MTP devices? - Similar Threads - Change default details

2. mtp usb device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    mtp usb device: my mobile is not showing in this pc then i found a solution for this when i open device manager and update the driver of my phone it shows mtp usb device file specified is not found...
  3. mtp usb device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    mtp usb device: my mobile is not showing in this pc then i found a solution for this when i open device manager and update the driver of my phone it shows mtp usb device file specified is not found...
  4. MTP USB Device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MTP USB Device: when i Update Windows and try to connect my mobile to pc for transfer storage then i see my mobile is not detecting and after i go to device manager and then i see in portable devices their is MTP USB Device with yellow mark and after i try to update Driver and then it...
  5. MTP USB Device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    MTP USB Device: I got a question; I've been having this issue with these new Dells Laptops computer. What's happening is when you plug in your cell phone to the laptop it will come up with a MTP USB device with an exclamation point error in the Device Manager. I have tried uninstalling and...
  6. Changing the default View of files from "Details" to "List" in the "Save As" window of File...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing the default View of files from "Details" to "List" in the "Save As" window of File...: I already know how to change the View of folders and files in a File Explorer window. I always choose "List." I also know how to then apply make the default that same "List" View to all similar File Explorer windows. However, when I'm saving a document to my PC via the...
  7. How to set default SEARCH view to DETAILS

in Windows 10 Support
    How to set default SEARCH view to DETAILS: I do many file/folder searches in my work and the search result view is always CONTENT. I would like my default search view to always be DETAIL? Windows 10 pro Any help for this would be appreciated. Thank you 163751
  8. Change the Default Search View to Detail View (not Content View)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change the Default Search View to Detail View (not Content View): When I do a search, I want the default view of the results to be the detailed view. How do I change the default? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-the-default-search-view-to-detail-view-not/8d2eb719-0ee7-466c-87c5-30878be8656f
  9. Want to change File Explorer default View from "Details" to "List"

in Windows 10 Support
    Want to change File Explorer default View from "Details" to "List": Hi all, I have been searching the web for an answer to this question since first getting Windows 10 last year. I would like my File Explorer to open using the "List" view rather than the current default of "Details". I have seen many responses that reference how to change...
  10. Glitch? My folders default to the "details" view everytime.

in Windows 10 Support
    Glitch? My folders default to the "details" view everytime.: So I go to my Music folder & want to view my files in the "list" view options. I leave, but & when I go back to my Music folder, it's back to the "detail" view option. This happens every time! I select the "list" or the "icon" view arrange option & it ALWAYS resets to the...