Windows 10: Change Default Downloads Folder in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Default Downloads Folder in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Default Downloads Folder in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 How to Change Default Downloads Folder in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by mag, Nov 30, 2015.

1. MAG
    mag Win User

Change Default Downloads Folder in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

How to: Change Default Downloads Folder in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

How to Change Default Downloads Folder in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to be faster, safer, and compatible with the modern Web.

When you use Microsoft Edge to download a file from the Internet, it is saved to the default downloads folder. The default downloads folder in Microsoft Edge is your %UserProfile%/Downloads folder.

Currently, Microsoft Edge does not include a setting to change the default downloads folder.

This tutorial will show you how to change the default downloads folder in Microsoft Edge for only your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Change Microsoft Edge Download Folder in Download Settings
    • Option Two: To Change Microsoft Edge Download Folder in Registry Editor

OPTION ONE [/i] To Change Microsoft Edge Download Folder in Download Settings
    1. Open the Microsoft Edge app.

2. Click/tap on the Settings and more (Alt+X) button (3 dots), and click/tap on Settings. (see screenshot below)

Change Default Downloads Folder in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 [​IMG]

3. Click/tap on General on the left side, and click/tap on the Change button under Downloads on the right side. (see screenshot below)

4. Browse to and select a folder (ex: Desktop) you want as your new Microsoft Edge downloads folder, and click/tap on Select Folder. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] To To Change Microsoft Edge Download Folder in Registry Editor
    1. In the search box on your taskbar or Start menu, type regedit, and press Enter to open Registry Editor.

2. If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes.

3. In Registry Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    Code:

4. In the right pane of the Main key, double click/tap on the Default Download Directory string value to modify it. (see screenshot below)

*note The Default Download Directory string value is not there by default, and will need to be added if you have not already.

Right click/or press and hold on an empty area in the right pane of the Main key, click/tap on New, click/tap on String Value, type Default Download Directory, and press Enter.

5. Type in the full path of the folder you want to be your default downloads folder in Microsoft Edge, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

*note Be sure to not wrap the full folder path in quotes. If you do, it will not work.

6. Open the downloads folder while in Microsoft Edge to verify the change.

7. You can now close registry editor if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

2. Is there any way to choose a download location and name in Edge instead of getting the default name and the Download directory?

Changing the default download location for Edge.

It will require a change of the registry using regedit.exe, but you can move Edge's default download location to a place of your liking. See the tenforums.com post at the link below.

It is an easy change, however, be sure to back up your registry first. If you aren't comfortable editing the Windows registry, find a geek friend who can help you out.

How to Change Default Downloads Folder in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

(Change Default Downloads Folder in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10)

I have not found a solution for changing the file name before download.

Robert Share, Nov 30, 2015
  3. Sumit Dhiman2, Nov 30, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

I'm glad you like it mag, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Brink, Nov 30, 2015
Thema:

1. Change Default Downloads Folder in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Default Downloads

2. Download notification changed in Microsoft Edge

in Browsers and Email
    Download notification changed in Microsoft Edge: Apologies that this is a query about Edge rather than Windows 10 but hoping somebody can help. Previously when I downloaded anything from the internet using Edge, I had a small notification panel popped up at the foot of the screen just above the taskbar, which was fine as...
  3. How to change the Download folder in Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 News
    How to change the Download folder in Microsoft Edge: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]The new Microsoft Edge web browser is pretty awesome, right? We agree. At first, we were skeptical, but after using it for a while, we can say for certain that it’s worth the effort. Now, it’s not yet perfect, but [...] This post How to change the Download...
  4. How to Change Default Downloads Folder in Microsoft Edge Chromium

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    How to Change Default Downloads Folder in Microsoft Edge Chromium: How to: How to Change Default Downloads Folder in Microsoft Edge Chromium How to Change Default Downloads Folder in Microsoft Edge Chromium Microsoft has adopted the Chromium open source project in the development of Microsoft Edge on the desktop to create better web...
  5. Change the default Download folder for Edge

in Browsers and Email
    Change the default Download folder for Edge: Is there a way to change the default folder for downloads in Edge? I don't really want downloads being directed to my C: which is a SSD. I would prefer to change this to my HDD. Internet Explorer allowed this. Even if it means a manual registry edit, happy to do it, if...
  6. Edge: Default Download Location?

in Browsers and Email
    Edge: Default Download Location?: How do I change the Default Download Location in Edge? 10084
  7. Microsoft Edge Favorites not in default folder but availalbe in Edge

in Browsers and Email
    Microsoft Edge Favorites not in default folder but availalbe in Edge: Since installing the November Windows 10 update (11/17/15) none of my favorites are being stored in the default Edge folder. While in Edge the favorites are available but when I go to the default folder they are not listed. Is there another location they may be being saved or...
  8. Change default Downloads folder in Edge

in Browsers and Email
    Change default Downloads folder in Edge: Anyone know how to change the default Downloads folder in Edge in build 10159? I've looked through all the settings, including the Advanced ones, and there's nowhere to change this. 7619
  9. Change Default Downloads Folder for Nearby Sharing in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Default Downloads Folder for Nearby Sharing in Windows 10: How to: Change Default Downloads Folder for Nearby Sharing in Windows 10 How to Change Default Downloads Folder for Nearby Sharing in Windows 10 Microsoft introduced a new Near Share feature starting with Windows 10 build 17035. Near Share was renamed to Nearby...
  10. Change Default Search Engine in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Default Search Engine in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10: How to: Change Default Search Engine in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 How to Change Default Search Engine in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to be faster,...