Windows 10: Change default font in Word/Notepad

Discus and support Change default font in Word/Notepad in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Is there anyway to change the default 'Calibri' font that is set on opening Notepad or Wordpad? I would love to open Notepad to find the font set at... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Be Quiet Arnold, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Change default font in Word/Notepad

Is there anyway to change the default 'Calibri' font that is set on opening Notepad or Wordpad?
    I would love to open Notepad to find the font set at something I like. 'Verdana' for example, so I can just get straight on.

I know I sound lazy, but I use Note or Wordpad a lot, often dozens of times in a day, and I need to use a font I can see.

I'm just sick of having to do this adjustment every bloody time!!

I would be very grateful for any ideas.

:)

Be Quiet Arnold, Feb 7, 2016
  2. HairyFool Win User

how do u work notepad

Remember that Notepad is a very simple text tool with very few options. The line length is whatever window size you have if word wrap is on, Italics/underline are not available unless the font itself has it nor are any formatting options. Even if you change
    the font that is only for the Notepad session. If you change the font and send a file to somebody when they open it it will be in their selected font not yours.

This is because its default file save format is the industry standard text (.txt) version which does not allow embedded control codes, it can only have the text in it and nothing else.

If you want a little more without the use of a fully fledged word processor then WordPad offers a little more without having to install any other programs.

Your question could be interpreted as you are expecting more from notepad but don't know how, however it is as simple as it looks.

HairyFool, Feb 7, 2016
  3. How to change the notepad defaults like Font

I've search for a way to change windows 10 pro notepad defaults, like font. I'm sure you could through the windows registry?

I can change them each time, but the older notepads would save that switch as your default, not windows 10

AlexAndresen1, Feb 7, 2016
  4. lx07 Win User

Change default font in Word/Notepad

Does this help for Wordpad? How to Set the Default Font in Wordpad | eHow

Notepad should always open using the font you used last saved something. So if you open Notepad, type one letter, change the font to Verdana and save it somewhere as Temp.txt next time you open Notepad it will use Verdana. You can delete this Temp.txt file - it was only to populate the registry with the last used font. Notepad will keep on using Verdana until you change the font in some other document and save that.

lx07, Feb 7, 2016
    Be Quiet Arnold, Feb 7, 2016
  6. lx07 Win User
    It shouldn't. I saved a document as Windings font, rebooted, opened a new notepad and it defaulted to same font.

If it doesn't work let us know and we can write a little script to set the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Notepad lfFaceName every logon but it will be better if it is not necessary.

lx07, Feb 7, 2016
  7. I created a Notepad file with one word and the font I like and then Save As.... Temp.txt (call it whatever you like)
    Once the Temp file is saved you can delete all the text and then Save so next time you open to a blank sheet
    I created a shortcut to that Temp file and launch it instead of launching the Notepad software directly
    When you have finished typing in the Temp file simply Save As.... whatever title you like so your Temp file will remain unchanged
    Using this method you will always have the font you like when you launch the Temp file

FrillyBits, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Change default font in Word/Notepad

1. Change default font in Word/Notepad - Similar Threads - Change default font

2. Turn 'Word Wrap' off default in Notepad

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Turn 'Word Wrap' off default in Notepad: My PC has recently updated, and with it a new version of Notepad has shown up this is the first time I've seen tabs in a notepad.Frustratingly, Word Wrap is now ticked on by default whenever a notepad is opened. I don't want it on, ever. I have no idea how to set it so that...
  3. Notepad Default Font changing on reboot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Notepad Default Font changing on reboot: Windows 10 Pro - Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.985) Howdy Folks This should be an easy one, but ... Google only provides the obvious way to change the Notepad font, not how to make a font default. - After uninstalling a PDF editor* trial I found my Notepad font changes...
  4. Changing default font

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing default font: Hello: Just want to understand why Windows 10 lacks a basic, simple function to select a different default system font. I see recommendations from Microsoft to use third party procedures and use regedit? Is this really the Microsoft recommended way? After performing a...
  5. Change default fonts

Change default fonts: Windows 10 Pro 1903 I want to change all my default fonts to Segoe Bold, size 11 I can most of it with Winaero Tweaker, but not the system font. The font substitute category of the registry doesn't have Segoe. I found a site that explained how to to add Segoe to the font...
  6. Change default font in Word

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change default font in Word: How can I change my default font and size when I create a Word doc? Thank you! Darlene J. Brent https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-default-font-in-word/784c957a-2031-42bd-a6f6-a0b1fb2a2837"
  7. change notepad default font to regular (not-bold)

change notepad default font to regular (not-bold): I want to change the default regedit font to not-bold. I think IfWeight is the setting that I need to change, but what is the data value for not-bold? Thanks. [ATTACH]...
  8. Change of default fonts

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Change of default fonts: Does anyone know how to fix this font issue? Did a registry edit, tried restoring to default and no luck. Please help. [IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-of-default-fonts/1b611ef6-f34b-4971-acb6-603be0572999
  9. Notepad default font

Notepad default font: How do I change Notepad default font? Every time I open Notepad, it always set to Arial even I have saved text files using other fonts. I'm running Windows 10 Home SL 1803 Build 17134.137 Thank you....
  10. Changing default font

Changing default font: It seems the default font on this WIndows is Arial and it's really ugly, especially when reading an entire page in Chrome or in any other browser. Tried to change the font in all browsers- no result. It can change only the size- Arial still there. It bugs me that it's...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. command prompt to change font size in wordpad