Windows 10: Change default install folder / HDD

Discus and support Change default install folder / HDD in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello I found the registry entry to change the default install directory.....HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by reddwarf4ever, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Change default install folder / HDD

Hello

I found the registry entry to change the default install directory.....HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion.

But although this worked, it worked too well....all my existing programs installed to the original C driver could not be found when launching the Apps....

I am ok to chose the install location each time if this is what is needed....but dont know how to go about this....sometimes dont get offered an install location.....

Thanks

:)

reddwarf4ever, Oct 17, 2016
  2. Wraith1uk Win User

change download location of files from the net

Hi,

So I have a 120GB SDD and 1TB HDD, want all my file downloads (from the net) to download to a folder iv made on the HDD, default it downloads to 'Download' folder on SDD where Win10 is on... hope that makes sense.

so how do I change that?

thanks..

Abdul.

Wraith1uk, Oct 17, 2016
  3. wsnider28 Win User
    Multiple Users Files on HDD, Separate From SSD Boot Drive

I have a new PC build with with Windows 10 and programs on a SSD, and a separate HDD for files. I know I can create folders on the HDD and change the "location" settings on the default user folders such as Documents and Downloads to point to the folders
    on the HDD. But if there are multiple users on the computer, they can all see each other's files. Even if you separate them into different folders on the HDD ("Joe > Documents" & "Joe > Downloads" vs "Suzy > Documents" & "Suzy > Downloads"), they can still
    navigate up to the HDD and see the other users' files and folders.

Any way to set up that HDD such each user only sees their own files, with no way to see the others'?

Thanks.

wsnider28, Oct 17, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Change default install folder / HDD

Hi, I think you mean
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ProgramFilesDir

It's a bad idea to change this. If you do, upgrades won't install, and similarly an in-place upgrade repair install will fail.

In other words you will have difficulty with routine maintenance issues.
    Further, you will need to be careful in using disk imaging (I hope you use that routinely) to maintain a consistent disk image set.

Only a relatively few programs seem not to offer a choice on installation- sometimes you do have to look for it very carefully.

dalchina, Oct 17, 2016
  5. Thanks, have reverted registry back and all ok now.....

reddwarf4ever, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Change default install folder / HDD

1. Change default install folder / HDD - Similar Threads - Change default install

2. Change default new folder type?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change default new folder type?: Whenever I create a new folder it always starts out formatted for music, please see the columns here: https://imgur.com/a/r65crKW Is there a way I can change the default of newly created folders to another type, like Documents perhaps? I don't want to use the "apply to all...
  3. I cant change default install folder on windows 10.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I cant change default install folder on windows 10.: I want to install games via the xbox launcher but i get errors. If i want to install a game the Xbox app ask's where i want to install the game. It says i need to change that folder to the primary folder for installing games but once i do that i get error code 0x80070005....
  4. Change default folder icon

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change default folder icon: Hello, I wanted to know if it is possible to change the icon of the yellow folder in explorer not only for one as you showed but for all the yellow folders in one action. thank you 169110
  5. How to install xbox game pass games to HDD without changing default app install folder?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to install xbox game pass games to HDD without changing default app install folder?: I am unable to install Xbox game-pass game on my HDD as it insists I need to change my download location for all apps despite my HDD being dedicated for games and my SSD being for apps. I want to install games on my HDD without having to have my apps on there as well. Also I...
  6. Change folder icons by default?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change folder icons by default?: Hello i have a server and i use because i have so many folders i have icons for the folders but when i access them on another pc there are only empty folders and i have to set them again i can save the icons https://www.gutefrage.net/frage/ordner-icons-standardmaessig-aendern
  7. Changing the Default documents Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing the Default documents Folder: Hello. In my new PC my default documents folder is C:\Users\****\OneDrive\Documents and I would like to change it to just C:\Users\****\Documents as every app's document data is by default saved there and it slows down my connection when it uploads those files in the cloud....
  8. Is changing the default folder icon dangerous?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is changing the default folder icon dangerous?: Hi all! I am trying to help someone who has difficulty finding things on their HDD by customising the default folder icons. Right click on folder> Customise and then I change the default icon for folders (generic yellow one) with custom icons of my own. It works really...
  9. Change the default Download folder for Edge

in Browsers and Email
    Change the default Download folder for Edge: Is there a way to change the default folder for downloads in Edge? I don't really want downloads being directed to my C: which is a SSD. I would prefer to change this to my HDD. Internet Explorer allowed this. Even if it means a manual registry edit, happy to do it, if...
  10. Change default download/install, etc, location to HDD rather than SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Change default download/install, etc, location to HDD rather than SSD: I want basically everything to go to my 1TB HDD (D*Smile by default, but hardly anything does. My SSD (C*Smile is now at 18.6GB. Is it possible to make the D: drive my "main drive" while not moving all the MS/Windows files there too and messing everything up? The computer...