Windows 10: Change default photo viewer app

Discus and support Change default photo viewer app in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; My friend did something on her computer the other day in which her pictures folder - the pictures are not pictures now, they have the default photo app... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by MeAndMyComputer, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Change default photo viewer app

My friend did something on her computer the other day in which her pictures folder - the pictures are not pictures now, they have the default photo app viewer. How can I change them so she sees the pictures are pictures?

Change default photo viewer app [​IMG]

:)

MeAndMyComputer, Feb 5, 2018
  2. AnSeDoRo Win User

How do I fix my pictures file that says, "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable" on an ASUS laptop using Windows 10.

Try:

Settings -> System -> Default apps -> Photo viewer choose Windows Photo Viewer or other. Change to default. Then try open.

AnSeDoRo, Feb 5, 2018
  3. Photos are opening with Paint instead of Photos app

I did as you suggested and there was no option to set the default for photos viewer for photos. The only option it gave to select was PAINT.

I went to "set default by app" and changed those to use photos instead of paint. After changing those and these restarting my computer I then got the option to set the default for photo view to photos.

It took quite a bit of time to change all of these apps one at a time.

That was the only way I found to change the Photo Viewer Default to Photos.

There should be an easier method.

DptyChf101, Feb 5, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

Change default photo viewer app

Hi, if I interpret that correctly, you're seeing icons rather than thumbnails.

Perhaps this setting? (File Explorer, View, Options,

dalchina, Feb 5, 2018
  5. "Hi, if I interpret that correctly, you're seeing icons rather than thumbnails."
    You are correct. Unfortunately the Apply to Folders is grayed out and clicking on it doesn't help.

MeAndMyComputer, Feb 6, 2018
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Feb 6, 2018
  7. MeAndMyComputer, Feb 6, 2018
  8. dalchina New Member

- the bottom box?

dalchina, Feb 6, 2018
  9. It's the Apply to Folders box with the blue border. It was grayed out on her computer.
    What happened is my friend did some tinkering with her settings as she likes to do graphics projects and that's when the default Photo Viewer App came into play I included in my opening post. Yesterday I asked her to do a system restore but she wasn't for it because she didn't want to change anything. I'm just as glad now because I'll be able to fix the folder view: even though she doesn't want to change anything I'm sure she will accept this one. Thanks for following up with me dalchina.

10. Success. Thank you Brink & dalchina.

11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Glad we could help. *Party

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Change default photo viewer app - Similar Threads - Change default photo

2. the default app for opening images is not photo viewer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    the default app for opening images is not photo viewer: So i download a image from google using save as button and when i open the image it opens paint instead of photo viewer i tried right clicking it and then click open with i went through all options but there was no photo viewer in there i tried creating a shortcut of the...
  3. the default app for opening images is not photo viewer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    the default app for opening images is not photo viewer: So i download a image from google using save as button and when i open the image it opens paint instead of photo viewer i tried right clicking it and then click open with i went through all options but there was no photo viewer in there i tried creating a shortcut of the...
  4. Photo Viewer app???

Photo Viewer app???: Hi; I updated a friends comp to win10 from win8.1, now all her pics are missing info. She swears she was using windows photo viewer and had all her pics titled and dated. This is different from file name. Win10 photo app does not show the title/Subject or date. I tried...
  5. Changing Photo default apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing Photo default apps: It seems now, with possible update, I can no longer open my photographs using my installed photoshop program. It defaults to Microsoft Photo app instead when clicking on an image in Windows Explorer folders. Use to be you got a choice when choosing OPEN WITH, but although I...
  6. An App default was reset error it reset the windows photo viewer to default photos

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    An App default was reset error it reset the windows photo viewer to default photos: Hello Sir, My name is Ronak Savla, I have windows 10 pro, I get an problem as I start my computer for some work, I see the default app is changed from windows photo viewer which I installed as an registry file and it changes to default photo app. Can you give me any...
  7. Win10 refuses to change the default photo viewer

Win10 refuses to change the default photo viewer: I just did a fresh Win10 reinstall on Sunday and I always prefer to use the old Windows Photo Viewer from Vista and 7. But when I choose 'open with' then check 'always use this app' for a picture it opens that time correctly but continues to default using the Win10 Photos app...
  8. photo viewer default application not able to change

photo viewer default application not able to change: Hai, I have installed Paint.net some time ago. After that my default application change to that program. Whatever I had tried to change it back to the Photo Viewer, nothing is happening. After I go to System -> Default applications and change application for Photos, my...
  9. Trouble Setting 'IrfanView' App as Default Photo Viewer

Trouble Setting 'IrfanView' App as Default Photo Viewer: Hello Friends! Firstly, thank you Shawn @Brink for taking the time to share your expertise with us all and amongst other things, compile an extensive and thorough list of Windows 10 Help Tutorials. I've read your 'How to Choose Default Apps to Open Files with in Windows...
  10. Unable to replace Photos app with Photo Viewer as default (10240).

Unable to replace Photos app with Photo Viewer as default (10240).: I'm not making any headway on answers.Microsoft.com so I'm hoping the experts here can explain why I cannot replace the Photos app with Windows Photo Viewer as the default image viewer (in build 10240). From all outward appearances, it seems Windows Photo Viewer is...