Windows 10: Change Default Search Engine in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Default Search Engine in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Default Search Engine in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 How to Change Default Search Engine in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 Microsoft... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Dutch, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Dutch Win User

Change Default Search Engine in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

How to: Change Default Search Engine in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

How to Change Default Search Engine in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to be faster, safer, and compatible with the modern Web.

By default, Microsoft Edge uses Bing as its default search engine, but you can add a search engine (ex: Google) and change the default search engine you would prefer to search with in Microsoft Edge. Microsoft Edge can use any search engine that supports the OpenSearch standard.

This tutorial will show you how to add and change the default search engine in Microsoft Edge for your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Add Search Engine and Set as Default in Microsoft Edge
    • Option Two: To Remove Search Engine in Microsoft Edge

EXAMPLE: Google set as default search engine in Microsoft Edge

Change Default Search Engine in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] To Add Search Engine and Set as Default in Microsoft Edge
    1. Go the search engine's website (ex: www.google.com) in Microsoft Edge.

2. Click/tap on the Settings and more (Alt+X) button, and click/tap on Settings. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on Advanced on the left side, and click/tap on the Change search provider button under Address bar search on the right side. (see screenshot below)

4. Select the search engine (ex: www.google.com), and click/tap on Set as default. (see screenshot below)

*note Only search providers that support the OpenSearch standard will appear in this list. If they don’t support it yet, here's how they can. Keep checking back to see who's been added to the list.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Remove Search Engine in Microsoft Edge
    1. Open Microsoft Edge, do Option One above to change the search engine to any other search engine (ex: Bing) than the one you want to remove.

2. Click/tap on the Settings and more (Alt+X) button, and click/tap on Settings. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on Advanced on the left side, and click/tap on the Change search provider button under Address bar search on the right side. (see screenshot below)

4. Select the search engine (ex: www.google.com) you want to remove, and click/tap on Remove. (see screenshot below)

*note You will not be able to remove the current default search engine until you make a different search engine default first.

*note The included Bing search engine cannot be removed.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Dutch, Jul 9, 2017
  2. Andre Da Costa, Jul 9, 2017
  3. Cortana's Search Engine Preference

Hi Bill,

The default search engine for Cortana cannot be changed because Cortana is powered by Bing upon her release. However, you can easily change the default search engine in Edge by following the steps on this link

Change the default search engine in Microsoft Edge

Let us know if there are other concerns.

Jomel_Santos, Jul 9, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jul 9, 2017
  5. Dutch Win User
    Dutch, Jul 9, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    What is your start page?

If it's not a search engine (ex: Google or Bing), then you won't be able to select it as your default search engine in Microsoft Edge.

Brink, Jul 10, 2017
  7. Dutch Win User
    That was the problem. Somehow Yahoo added itself to my custom start/home page. I removed it and all is well. Thanks.

Dutch, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Change Default Search Engine in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Default Search

2. Edge keeps asking to change default search engine to bing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Edge keeps asking to change default search engine to bing: Hello,I really like the Edge browser even tho the updates during the last year made things worse.However, what really annoys me is edge keeps asking to update my settings to use bing as the default search engine. Is there a way to prevent or disable this?...
  3. Edge keeps asking to change default search engine to bing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Edge keeps asking to change default search engine to bing: Hello,I really like the Edge browser even tho the updates during the last year made things worse.However, what really annoys me is edge keeps asking to update my settings to use bing as the default search engine. Is there a way to prevent or disable this?...
  4. Edge keeps asking to change default search engine to bing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Microsoft Edge - Search Engine is not changing - Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Edge - Search Engine is not changing - Windows 11: Hello,After the latest update of windows 11, it seems that Microsoft Edge changed automatically the search engine in my case from Google to Bing.Additionally , the issue here is that I cannot change the search engine from Bing to Google or yahoo I tried manually to add them...
  6. Microsoft Edge - Search Engine is not changing - Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Edge - Search Engine is not changing - Windows 11: Hello,After the latest update of windows 11, it seems that Microsoft Edge changed automatically the search engine in my case from Google to Bing.Additionally , the issue here is that I cannot change the search engine from Bing to Google or yahoo I tried manually to add them...
  7. remove bing as the default search engine in Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    remove bing as the default search engine in Microsoft Edge: This has been asked till the cows come home but the answers are scripted and never tested before the response to the question. I know that bing is an integral part of the Edge browser. I create my own search engine in the list but bing won't allow my search engine to be used....
  8. How to change default Search Engine in new Microsoft Edge Chromium browser

in Windows 10 News
    How to change default Search Engine in new Microsoft Edge Chromium browser: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]The Microsoft Edge Chromium browser is not just the best version of Edge we have till date, but it also offers turn of customization. You can install Chrome themes, install Chrome extensions on Edge from Chrome Web Store, offers Dark [...] This post How to...
  9. MS Edge: Search Engine defaults to Bing

in Browsers and Email
    MS Edge: Search Engine defaults to Bing: Hi, This morning, MS Edge defaults to Bing as the search engine even though the default setting is set to Google. I can't get it to default to Google, even though I am able to manually select Google as the search engine. How can I check if this is a problem with MS Edge or...
  10. Enable or Disable Change Search Engine in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Change Search Engine in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Change Search Engine in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Change Search Engine in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for...