Windows 10: Change Drag and Drop Default Action in Windows

Discus and support Change Drag and Drop Default Action in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Drag and Drop Default Action in Windows How to Change Default Drag and Drop Action in Windows [img] Information When you drag... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by cesarf, Aug 22, 2017.

1. cesarf Win User

Change Drag and Drop Default Action in Windows

How to: Change Drag and Drop Default Action in Windows

How to Change Default Drag and Drop Action in Windows

Change Drag and Drop Default Action in Windows [​IMG]
    Information When you drag and drop files and folders in Windows, they will get moved or copied by default based on the source and destination locations.
    • If you drag and drop a file/folder from a location on one drive to another drive, then the default action will be to copy the file/folder to the drop location.
    • If you drag and drop a file/folder from a local location to a network location, then the default action will be to copy the file/folder to the drop location.
    • If you drag and drop a file/folder from or to a CD/DVD or Blu-ray, then the default action will always be to copy the file/folder to the drop location. This cannot be changed.
    • If you drag and drop a file/folder from a location to another on the same drive, then the default action will be to move the file/folder to the drop location.
    • If you drag and drop a file/folder to the Recycle Bin, then the default action will always be to move the file/folder to the drop location. This cannot be changed.

This tutorial will show you how to change the default drag and drop action to always copy, move, or create shortcut for all users in Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to change the default drag and drop action for all users.

Note You can also use any of the keyboard shortcuts below to temporarily change the default drag and drop action for this instance.
    • Press and hold the Control (Ctrl) key while you drag and drop to always copy.
    • Press and hold the Shift key while you drag and drop to always move.
    • Press and hold the Alt or Control+Shift keys while you drag and drop to always create a shortcut.

EXAMPLE: Drag and Drop to "Copy", "Move", or "Create link" (shortcut)

Here's How:

Note The .reg files below will add and modify the DWORDs in the registry keys below.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*

and

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects

DefaultDropEffect DWORD

0 or delete = default action
    1 = Always copy
    2 = Always move
    4 = Always create shortcut

1. Do step 2 (always copy), step 3 (always move), step 4 (always create shortcut), or step 5 (default) below for what you would like to set the default drag and drop action to be.

2. To Set Default Drag and Drop Action to Always Copy
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 6 below.

Set_Drag_and_Drop_to_Copy_by_default.reg

Download

3. To Set Default Drag and Drop Action to Always Move
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 6 below.

Set_Drag_and_Drop_to_Move_by_default.reg

Download

4. To Set Default Drag and Drop Action to Always Create Shortcut

Set_Drag_and_Drop_to_Create_Shortcut_by_default.reg

Download

5. To Restore Default Drag and Drop Action

Set_Drag_and_Drop_to_Default.reg

Download
    6. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

7. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

8. If prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

9. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

cesarf, Aug 22, 2017
  2. Edward W Win User
    Edward W, Aug 22, 2017
  3. Nigel_MCG Win User
    Change default file drag-and-drop action to Copy rather than Move

Thanks Terry,

It appears you've found the reason for this behaviour... I haven't tested it but from subsequent posts it looks like a likely suspect.

Hopefully an update will be forthcoming, although I won't hold my breath.

Nigel

Nigel_MCG, Aug 22, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

I'm glad it could help cesarf, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Brink, Aug 22, 2017
Thema:

1. Change Drag and Drop Default Action in Windows - Similar Threads - Change Drag Drop

2. Drag and drop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Drag and drop: Why i Can't use drag and drop in windows 11?? It is so annoying, i think i have to go back to windows 10.For development work it is really bad for user. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drag-and-drop/85e7b545-2642-4278-b569-418ba70cc539
  3. Need to change drag and drop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Need to change drag and drop: I am 76 years old, know little about computers and I badly need help with drag and drop. Often, I find data and files get mistakenly moved and I feel helpless. I'm pretty sure that my drag and drop function is too sensitive and needs adjustment. I found advice on line...
  4. How to change default File or Folder Drag and Drop behavior on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to change default File or Folder Drag and Drop behavior on Windows 10: [ATTACH]Windows 10 has two default actions when you drag and drop a file or folder into a new destination in File Explorer; Copy or Move, […] This article How to change default File or Folder Drag and Drop behavior on Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read...
  5. Drag and drop chnged default action

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Drag and drop chnged default action: Hi there, I am not sure what has happened recently but normally when I drag and drop a file or folder, it will MOVE when on the same drive and COPY when dropping onto a different drive. For whatever reason all actions have now defaulted to COPY when dropping, regardless of...
  6. Default drag and drop action with Onedrive

Default drag and drop action with Onedrive: We are using a common Onedrive for storing and sharing files within a team. It is basically neat when using Windows 10 file explorer, since you can just drag and drop files like between local drives and folders. However, the default behaviour of drag and drop with Onedrive is...
  7. How to achieve this simple action via drag&drop?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to achieve this simple action via drag&drop?: For ages, it annoys me that when you drag&drop an object over a folder you are forced to put your object into the "selected" folder (like here) instead of inside the folder you are currently "in" (like here). Is there a way to achieve this nonetheless? (Same issue when...
  8. Drag and Drop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Drag and Drop: I use drag and drop to transfer data onto my network computers, but since the latest update 1903 (18362.449) drag and drop won't work. I re-imaged back a couple of months and drag and drop works ok so the fault is with the latest update. Please advise. Deric...
  9. OneDrive drag and drop - can default action be changed from Move to Copy?

OneDrive drag and drop - can default action be changed from Move to Copy?: Hi, I'm using Microsoft OneDrive and finding it great. The only thing that annoys the heck out of me is that the default drag-and-drop action for dragging files to OneDrive is Move, not Copy. Is there any way that changes the default action to Copy?...
  10. Change Drag and Drop Sensitivity in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Drag and Drop Sensitivity in Windows: How to: Change Drag and Drop Sensitivity in Windows How to Change Drag and Drop Sensitivity in Windows [img] Information By default in Windows, if you move an item by a distance of 4 pixels and leave it, it will result in a drag and drop operation. When you drag...