Windows 10: Change Drag and Drop Sensitivity in Windows

Discus and support Change Drag and Drop Sensitivity in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Drag and Drop Sensitivity in Windows How to Change Drag and Drop Sensitivity in Windows [img] Information By default in Windows,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Cliff S, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Cliff S New Member

Change Drag and Drop Sensitivity in Windows

How to: Change Drag and Drop Sensitivity in Windows

How to Change Drag and Drop Sensitivity in Windows

Change Drag and Drop Sensitivity in Windows [​IMG]
    Information By default in Windows, if you move an item by a distance of 4 pixels and leave it, it will result in a drag and drop operation.

When you drag and drop files and folders in Windows, they will get moved or copied by default based on the source and destination locations.

Many people find that it is way to easy for them to inadvertently drag and drop files from one folder to another with a default distance of 4 pixels.

If you increase the distance to say 50 pixels, then you will have to drag items (ex: text, files, folders, windows, etc...) by at least 50 pixels before it can drop.

This tutorial will show you how to change the drag and drop sensitivity to what you want for your account in Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 10.

Note If you have a high screen resolution (ex: 4K UHD), then you may want to increase the drag and drop sensitivity to an even higher pixel.

Here's How:

1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

2. Navigate to the registry key below in the left pane of Registry Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

3. In the right pane of the Desktop key, double click/tap on the DragHeight string (REG_SZ) value to modify it. (see screenshot below step 2)

4. Enter a number for how many pixels you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

Note The default value is 4 pixels.

If you set the value too high (ex: 1000), you won't be able to drag anything (ex: files, folders, windows).

5. In the right pane of the Desktop key, double click/tap on the DragWidth string (REG_SZ) value to modify it. (see screenshot below step 2)

6. Enter the same value you used for DragHeight from step 4, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

7. When finished, close Registry Editor.

8. restart the computer to apply.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Cliff S, Mar 9, 2017
  2. Edward W Win User
    Edward W, Mar 9, 2017
  3. Nigel_MCG Win User
    Change default file drag-and-drop action to Copy rather than Move

Thanks Terry,

It appears you've found the reason for this behaviour... I haven't tested it but from subsequent posts it looks like a likely suspect.

Hopefully an update will be forthcoming, although I won't hold my breath.

Nigel

Nigel_MCG, Mar 9, 2017
  4. Change Drag and Drop Sensitivity in Windows

Does this only affect File Explorer or does it also apply elsewhere (e.g. text selections in Notepad, Word, etc.)?

lehnerus2000, Mar 9, 2017
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It also affected the text in Internet Explorer for me, so it appears that dragging text is affected as well. You don't really notice it unless you set high a value though.

Brink, Mar 9, 2017
  6. Cliff S New Member
    If you don't set it to high, ya'll should be ok, like I said I have twitchy fingers, although this would really be useful for laptop users using the touchpad, as they can really be dangerous*Zip

Cliff S, Mar 9, 2017
  7. Thanks. *Smile

I can imagine that hilarity ensues if the new values are too high. *Biggrin

lehnerus2000, Mar 10, 2017
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

I had set the value to 5000 for the fun of it, and I couldn't drag anything afterwards. LOL

Brink, Mar 10, 2017
  9. Cliff S New Member
    Hey Shawn, I had reduced mine for a bit, from the above mentioned 100 to 25, last week, but had to turn it up again to 100, as I D&D'd a system folder into another by accident today*Redface

Thank god File Explore has a very little known "Undo move" right click option*Party

Anyhow, it might be a good idea to add in the tutorial, that users with very high resolution monitors, like 4K UHD, really need to go up on the pixel count. Even 50-75px was too little for my 4K screen.

Cliff S, Nov 21, 2017
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Thank you Cliff. Note added. *Smile

Brink, Nov 21, 2017
  11. Cliff S New Member
    You're welcome Shawn.
    The problem on my system is with the M.2 drive, the D&D goes soooo fast, even with huge folders and files, you sometimes don't catch "what" was moved, only that "something" got moved, so that undo move came in really handy*Biggrin

But now after uping it, I'm ok now

Cliff S, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Change Drag and Drop Sensitivity in Windows - Similar Threads - Change Drag Drop

2. Drag and drop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drag and drop: Why i Can't use drag and drop in windows 11?? It is so annoying, i think i have to go back to windows 10.For development work it is really bad for user. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drag-and-drop/85e7b545-2642-4278-b569-418ba70cc539
  3. Drag and drop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Drag and drop: Why i Can't use drag and drop in windows 11?? It is so annoying, i think i have to go back to windows 10.For development work it is really bad for user. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drag-and-drop/85e7b545-2642-4278-b569-418ba70cc539
  4. Need to change drag and drop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Need to change drag and drop: I am 76 years old, know little about computers and I badly need help with drag and drop. Often, I find data and files get mistakenly moved and I feel helpless. I'm pretty sure that my drag and drop function is too sensitive and needs adjustment. I found advice on line...
  5. Drag & Drop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Drag & Drop: When I drag & drop from ay laptop "File Folder" to an external HD, is the information in File Folder lost? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drag-drop/10536d09-d925-4c59-95f2-f7f9e92c8499
  6. Drag and Drop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Drag and Drop: I use drag and drop to transfer data onto my network computers, but since the latest update 1903 (18362.449) drag and drop won't work. I re-imaged back a couple of months and drag and drop works ok so the fault is with the latest update. Please advise. Deric...
  7. Drag and Drop

in Windows 10 Support
    Drag and Drop: When did the ability to drag and drop from the taskbar to the desktop end? 122324
  8. drag and drop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    drag and drop: How do I fix the drag and drop function on windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drag-and-drop/4f64f2ff-0a7d-45c6-9c26-fc131a8fd7b6
  9. Drag and drop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drag and drop: Hi. I have dell inspiron with windows 10. . I used to be able to drag and drop using the left click on the touch pad, but now its not working. I can do shift and use the arrows to mark the text to copy, and then move it copy etc. but in many cases I just need to left click...
  10. Change Drag and Drop Default Action in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Drag and Drop Default Action in Windows: How to: Change Drag and Drop Default Action in Windows How to Change Default Drag and Drop Action in Windows [img] Information When you drag and drop files and folders in Windows, they will get moved or copied by default based on the source and destination locations....