Windows 10: Change file association button is missing for PDF files

Discus and support Change file association button is missing for PDF files in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have a very strange behaviour in Windows 10 Pro. After the fresh build Change... file association button is missing for PDF files (see attached... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by zlomudak, Aug 9, 2018.

1. zlomudak Win User

Change file association button is missing for PDF files

I have a very strange behaviour in Windows 10 Pro. After the fresh build Change... file association button is missing for PDF files (see attached picture).

Change file association button is missing for PDF files 256f42ed-b1d0-4d98-933f-c73358b9e563?upload=true.png

Changing the file association from settings or Adobe Reader application prompts for cues UAC and even if the elevated rights are provided does not change the default application to Adobe Reader.

I have narrowed it down to the specific GPO, still not sure what setting. This GPO is 100% related to Internet Explorer hardening and is nothing to do with PDF or Edge.

My question is:

What GPO setting does that and why?

Where is this documented?

Regards,

S.

:)

zlomudak, Aug 9, 2018

2. microsoft print to pdf files will not open after saving

We suggest that you save the PDF files on your device and check if the issue persists. You may also want to associate the PDF files to Microsoft Edge as the default program to make sure that you have a default application that will open all of your PDF files.
    Here are the steps:

• Search for Default Programs.
    • Go to Associate a file type or protocol with a program.
    • Select the .pdf file type and then click the Change program button on the upper right of the
      Set Associations window.
    • Choose Microsoft Edge and then click OK.
    Let us know how it goes.

Jamille Nar, Aug 9, 2018
  3. Sandeleh Win User
    PDF file and associated programs/apps

I use WPS Writer for word processing and every time there is an update to the suite it overwrites PDF-Xchange Editor as the default PDF app. I know how to change it back, but having to scroll all the way down that long list is tiresome. Is there some trick
    to keep WPS from appropriating the PDF files?

And, while I'm here - how about a search in the file type list and associated programs/apps list?

Thanks in advance for any help.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Sandeleh, Aug 9, 2018
  4. Bill_VA2 Win User

Latest WIndows 10 Update Changes File Associations

I'm about to lose my mind and patience with this issue. I've reset the file association via every way possible and still the file associations for Edge keep coming back, sometimes even minutes after I've changed it. In particular with these file types
    and associations:

• graphic files like png, jpg, gif - I have resurrected Window Photo Viewer and associated these file types with it, but Windows 10 keeps changing them back to the Photos app
    • mp3 files - I changed them to Windows Media Player, but Windows 10 keeps changing them back to Groove Music
    • htm and html files - I changed to open with Chrome, but Windows 10 keeps changing them back to open with Edge
    • pdf files - I changed to open with Acrobat Pro, but Windows 10 keeps changing them back to open with Edge

OMG!!!! When I started typing this, I changed the file association for .pdf files to Acrobat, and just now after proofing this post, they're reset to open with Edge!!!!

Come on Microsoft, quit screwing with us and leave the file associations alone!!!!

Bill_VA2, Aug 9, 2018
Thema:

1. Change file association button is missing for PDF files - Similar Threads - Change file association

2. PDF file association is hijacked by Edge

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    PDF file association is hijacked by Edge: Hello! Edge is set as the default app for pdf files even though I never wanted this... the thing is that Edge should be fully uninstalled since I've used 3rd party scripts to remove bloat from my windows system, but now I can't change file associations for pdfs no matter what...
  3. PDF file association is hijacked by Edge

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PDF file association is hijacked by Edge: Hello! Edge is set as the default app for pdf files even though I never wanted this... the thing is that Edge should be fully uninstalled since I've used 3rd party scripts to remove bloat from my windows system, but now I can't change file associations for pdfs no matter what...
  4. PDF file association is hijacked by Edge

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. PDF Associations Changing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PDF Associations Changing: On multiple comptuers Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge keep switcing the associations. So all PDF are opening through these browsers even when Adobe DC is installed on the computer. Some things I have tried:- Uninstalling Chrome- Clearing temp files- Switching the associations...
  6. PDF Associations Changing

PDF Associations Changing: On multiple comptuers Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge keep switcing the associations. So all PDF are opening through these browsers even when Adobe DC is installed on the computer. Some things I have tried:- Uninstalling Chrome- Clearing temp files- Switching the associations...
  7. Missing PDF Files

in Windows 10 Customization
    Missing PDF Files: I just completed a routine Windows 10 update and now all of my PDF files are missing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/missing-pdf-files/b00e0afe-3b2d-4856-b1a4-2edd7594f4c2
  8. cannot change file association

cannot change file association: Suddenly, I cannot change my file association to the program I want. For example, I want to change ".txt" to use "notepad2.exe", not the default "notepad". Recently I was able to do that. If I right-click, properties, and choose my "notepad2", the change won't take effect....
  9. Changing file association

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing file association: Adobe acrobat reader is associated with ascm files. I need to change the association so that I can open an ascm file with Adobe digital reader so that I can read a book. Thanks...
  10. file association change

file association change: v 1607 just installed, Microsoft keeps wanting to change from libre office to wordpad, win patrol cancels it but it keeps trying to change file association how do I stop taht 63644

Users found this page by searching for:

1. pdf files is missing save button

2. deleted files keep coming back after restart