Windows 10: Change File Type Icon in Thumbnail Preview

Discus and support Change File Type Icon in Thumbnail Preview in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I use Google SketchUp a lot and each new model/file I create, SketchUp makes a .skb back up file of the last save. I was able to create a subkey in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Snook PoP, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Snook PoP Win User

Change File Type Icon in Thumbnail Preview

I use Google SketchUp a lot and each new model/file I create, SketchUp makes a .skb back up file of the last save. I was able to create a subkey in the registry to associate a different icon file for the .skb files but it does not change the icon if the folder view is set to medium, large, or extra large icons and gives a thumbnail preview of the file contents.

Examples of the same files in the same folder below.

Change File Type Icon in Thumbnail Preview [​IMG]

Notice how in the thumbnail preview all the file type icons are red and in the detailed list view the .skb file icons are black and the regular .skp files are red, like I want them.

In this particular folder it does not matter, just an example. But when navigating through other folders that contain many image files as well as the .skb & .skp files it can be confusing to tell which is which and I don't want to edit the wrong one. The thumbnail preview can be very helpful so I am trying to avoid changing the folder views.

If anyone has an idea of how to change that icon in the thumbnail view it would save me a lot of time and confusion, thanks in advance.

:)

Snook PoP, Apr 22, 2016
  2. Rose Ter Win User

Picture preview at Windows 10

Hi Chan,

If File Explorer is not showing thumbnail previews for photos in Windows 10, You may try out the following solutions:

Check if thumbnail preview supported view is turned on

Make sure that you have turned on the thumbnail preview supported view for the folder where you have your photos. Note that every folder can have its own view setting, and when you change the view, it won’t be applied to all
    the folders on your PC.

To turn on thumbnail preview supported view, click on the View tab, and then click on one of the following views: Extra-large icons, Large icons, Medium icons, Tiles, Content.

Check if thumbnails are disabled

When thumbnails are turned off, the File Explorer displays icons of the default program for the file type instead of the thumbnail preview. You may try these steps:

• Open up File Explorer. Click the File menu and then click Change folder and search options to open Folder Options. If a file is selected in the particular folder, you might see just Options instead of Change folder and search options. Clicking Options
      will also open Folder Options.
    • Switch to the View tab. Under Advanced settings section, uncheck the option labeled Always show icons, never thumbnails, and then click Apply button
      to enable thumbnails in Windows Explorer.

Feel free to contact us if you have further inquiries.

Rose Ter, Apr 22, 2016
  3. Windows 10 File Explorer Preview Thumnails

Windows 10 has changed the way the thumbnail previews in file folders look when the thumbnail previews option is enabled. In this version of Windows, the thumbnail images have been magnified compared to how they were in previous versions. So, the hundreds
    of images that I set up to display as a thumbnail in a folder are now cropped on all sides. I spent hundreds of hours adding various small icons to the edges of the images that I set up to use as folder previews, and now those icons are not visible in the
    thumbnails.

So here's my question: Is there a way that I can change the way Windows 10 displays the preview thumbnails back to the way it has been for at least the last 3 versions of windows?

I've tried Classic Shell, but that does not change the format. I've also tried several aftermarket file explorer type programs, and apps, but they just default to the same new "zoomed in" format. I tried making the images smaller, but no matter how small
    I make them, file explorer still zooms in and crops off the edges of the image when displaying them in the folder icon.

Rendersapien, Apr 22, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, don't know if it will help, but this utility is what I might use if I wanted to set a particular icon for a file type:

dalchina, Apr 22, 2016
Thema:

1. Change File Type Icon in Thumbnail Preview - Similar Threads - Change File Type

2. File Thumbnail Preview Not Showing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Thumbnail Preview Not Showing: Hello there,I was working on File Explorer recently and noticed that my file thumbnails mostly my video files are not showing their thumbnails in my folder instead of the program icon. I've had this problem for quite some time now, since a few months ago. It's becoming a...
  3. File Thumbnail Preview Not Showing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Thumbnail Preview Not Showing: Hello there,I was working on File Explorer recently and noticed that my file thumbnails mostly my video files are not showing their thumbnails in my folder instead of the program icon. I've had this problem for quite some time now, since a few months ago. It's becoming a...
  4. Folder Thumbnail Preview Changes?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Folder Thumbnail Preview Changes?: Hello, I use an external HDD and created various media folders on there. I customized each folder and chose a file to show on the folder icon; however, the problem I get is that the preview seems to change on me. For example, if I view as extra large icons it displays as the...
  5. Folder Thumbnail Preview Changes?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder Thumbnail Preview Changes?: Hello, I use an external HDD and created various media folders on there. I customized each folder and chose a file to show on the folder icon; however, the problem I get is that the preview seems to change on me. For example, if I view as extra large icons it displays as the...
  6. Folder Thumbnail Preview Changes?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Unable to change icons into thumbnail previews

Unable to change icons into thumbnail previews: I have researched the heck out of this and I am having trouble with my picture files. I am only showing icons and not thumbnails and want to turn them back. I have unchecked 'always show icons instead of thumbnails', I have performed cmd prompt directions as I have seen...
  8. Thumbnails/Icons not previewing or showing up

in Windows 10 Customization
    Thumbnails/Icons not previewing or showing up: Hello, I can't see my thumbnail previews/icons in my folders. I have tried disk cleanup, running command prompt, restarting my laptop, using winfilefolder.diagcab and running that, I've tried turning 'always show icons never thumbnails' on and off/and keeping it unchecked and...
  9. No icons and Thumbnail instead of Preview

No icons and Thumbnail instead of Preview: Hello. Most of my app/software icons have disappeared. Also most of the images show only thumbnailno previews. My folder options are correct. I tried what I found searching but non have worked for me yet. I hope you can help me! Left image is icons missing right one is...
  10. Windows Explorer thumbnail preview file types

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer thumbnail preview file types: What file types Windows Explorer is capable of showing thumbnail previews of in the latest Windows 10 versions? Today mine is 1809 (17763.195). I mean all kinds of files: documents, images, videos, etc.—without the need of third-party programs, plug-ins, extensions, etc....