Windows 10: Change folder permissions using custom executable program

Discus and support Change folder permissions using custom executable program in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I work with a shared folder that I want to restrict write access to the folder unless the user goes through a custom upload manager. Scenario:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jonesc, Jul 5, 2017.

1. jonesc Win User

Change folder permissions using custom executable program

I work with a shared folder that I want to restrict write access to the folder unless the user goes through a custom upload manager.

Scenario: Colleague can search, read, or download any editable file from within a folder, but can only add files to the folder using an executable file that has appropriate permissions (ownership).

The Ask: How can the folder permissions be set to do any of the following: 1) see the executable file as a system program; 2) make the executable the folder owner; or 3) should/can the program be coded to run a chmod script to temporarily authorize write functions followed by a chmod back to restrict?

Purpose: The "upload manager" will require the document/file author to check certain boxes to ensure the file is cataloged properly. I'm not looking for DCM software as a solution.

Foreseeable challenges and savvy approaches are welcomed.

:)

jonesc, Jul 5, 2017

2. Samsung i760 Partnership issues using Activesync 4.5 and Outlook 2003

Does your non-admin user account has Execute permission on the Activesync folder under program Files?

Linley Meslier, Jul 5, 2017
  3. Microsoft Minesweeper Windows 10 Executable Location Folder

Okay,

it seems it is stored in the hidden folder "C:/Program Files/WindowsApps".

When I try to open this folder I am prompted with a message "You are not permitted to view this folder. Continue to change this permanently?"

Clicking "Yes" prompted me another time telling me "You don't have reading permission to do this. You need to use the (Folder -> Properties/)Security Tab to do this.

Within that Dialogue I wasn't able to change permissions for any users, but I was able to replace the owner ("TrustedInstaller") of that folder with my current User.

Now I am able to open it and located 3 Minesweeper folders one containing a Minesweeper.exe, but executing that binary, but it with cause an Error "This application can only be executed from within an App-Container".

So my question is how can I run Minesweeper from command line or from within scripts?

I am trying to run Minesweeper using AutoIT!

Thank you very much!

audiopathik, Jul 5, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Welcome to the forum. chmod is linux are you running a linux server? What is the upload manager if you could simply run this as an authorised user the job would work

Samuria, Jul 5, 2017
  5. jonesc Win User
    Samuria,
    All the users who are accessing the file system are running Windows workstations. The upload manager is a gate to ensure files are properly indexed before adding to the system. Since we have 50+ people constantly adding files, I'd rather deploy either an executable or some other system that allows everyone to upload real-time -- given all boxes are checked, rather than having an authorized user responsible for QC and file transfer.

jonesc, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Change folder permissions using custom executable program - Similar Threads - Change folder permissions

2. Using Process Monitor to trace execution of a program

in Windows 10 Customization
    Using Process Monitor to trace execution of a program: I'm troubleshooting an issue with a shortcut, which doesn't actually execute the program that it points to. What I mean is that I think the name of any shortcut is simply the name of the shortcut and not necessarily the name of the executable. Please see my question "How to...
  3. Using Process Monitor to trace execution of a programow to trace execution of a program

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using Process Monitor to trace execution of a programow to trace execution of a program: I'm troubleshooting an issue with a shortcut, which doesn't actually execute the program that it points to. What I mean is that I think the name of any shortcut is simply the name of the shortcut and not necessarily the name of the executable. Please see my question "How to...
  4. Using Process Monitor to trace execution of a programow to trace execution of a program

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Using Process Monitor to trace execution of a programow to trace execution of a program: I'm troubleshooting an issue with a shortcut, which doesn't actually execute the program that it points to. What I mean is that I think the name of any shortcut is simply the name of the shortcut and not necessarily the name of the executable. Please see my question "How to...
  5. Executable Program within a Saved Folder on OneDrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Executable Program within a Saved Folder on OneDrive: I have a folder with years of scanned documents. The folder has an executable program that searches and finds requested pages or documents. I use window 10 operating system. The folder is approx. 876MB My question: Can I save the Folder to OneDrive and then open it and run...
  6. Changing folder permissions

Changing folder permissions: Hi, I have run into a problem when trying to run a neural network on jupyter notebook. This network ran on a mac previously but I have moved it to windows because I would like to use a GPU to allow for more efficiency. The problem involves it accessing the folders containing...
  7. Folder customization changes randomly

Folder customization changes randomly: I set my folder views to a certain view: details, group by type and sort by date modified. Why is it I can hit the apply to all folders button this view, all my folders look the same, I can literally open and close the folder and it has the same view, I can do this everyday...
  8. Folder customization changes randomly

in Windows 10 Customization
    Folder customization changes randomly: I set my folder views to a certain view: details, group by type and sort by date modified. Why is it I can hit the apply to all folders button this view, all my folders look the same, I can literally open and close the folder and it has the same view, I can do this everyday...
  9. Which permissions override when using Folder permissions and NTFS permissions?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Which permissions override when using Folder permissions and NTFS permissions?: Which permissions override when using Folder permissions and NTFS permissions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/which-permissions-override-when-using-folder/ea226001-173c-49f6-afa1-0d6de9f1f4c5"
  10. Problem permissions for modify Files on programs folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem permissions for modify Files on programs folder: I come from windows 7 and i have not problem to copy delete etc. files on programs. Now every time i search to change file o delete or copy a windows appear ask me a permission... There is a way to disable this warning or ahve full acces to programs ? Thank Hispa 11933