Windows 10: Change FTP to not open in new window using windows explorer

Discus and support Change FTP to not open in new window using windows explorer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Whenever I ftp to a site it opens up in a new window. Is there any way to keep it in the same explorer window. Windows 7 did this and I can't seem to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jaamulberry, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Change FTP to not open in new window using windows explorer

Whenever I ftp to a site it opens up in a new window. Is there any way to keep it in the same explorer window. Windows 7 did this and I can't seem to find an option on my computer to keep it in the same window.
    Example

:)

jaamulberry, Feb 27, 2017
  2. Holy Hack Win User

Upload to FTP site

Each month I upload files to a printer's FTP site using Internet Explorer and opening the page in File Explorer so I can simply copy the files across.

Since installing Windows 10 it is no longer possible to open the site in File Explorer. The site continues to say 'To view this FTP site in File Explorer: press Alt, click
    View, then click Open FTP Site in File Explorer.' But try it and nothing happens!

What has changed? What do I need to do?

Incidentally the new all singing all dancing 'Edge' won't even open the FTP site!

Holy Hack, Feb 27, 2017
  3. IanSawyer Win User
    Can no longer open ftp files in wondows 10

Since upgrading from Windows 8 to 10 I can no longer open ftp files in file explorer. Edge doesn't even open the ftp site but even using internet explorer when choosing the view option 'open ftp in windows explorer' nothing happens.

Any advice?

IanSawyer, Feb 27, 2017
  4. tonez Win User

Change FTP to not open in new window using windows explorer

is that so you can easy copy from one drive to another ?

tonez, Feb 27, 2017
  5. Pyprohly Win User
    Jaamulberry,

That’s odd. That doesn’t happen for me.

We can check a few registry keys. Could you post the content of the files created by the following commands? The data there might reveal something.
    Code: reg export "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ftp" "C:\Users\%username%\Desktop\ftp_l.reg" reg export "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\FTP" "C:\Users\%username%\Desktop\ftp_c.reg"[/quote]

Pyprohly, Feb 27, 2017
  6. Attached

jaamulberry, Feb 27, 2017
  7. Pyprohly Win User
    Thank you.

Those registry values are fine.

What’s the behaviour on another user account like?

Pyprohly, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Change FTP to not open in new window using windows explorer

1. Change FTP to not open in new window using windows explorer - Similar Threads - Change FTP open

2. Explorer opening new windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Explorer opening new windows: I have the latest version of Windows 11 installed and I am finding that Explorer is behaving in an odd way. When I try to open a drive or folder, it opens in a new instance of Explorer. I have tried to install a repair of Windows and re-installed Windows twice thinking that...
  3. Explorer opening new windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Explorer opening new windows: I have the latest version of Windows 11 installed and I am finding that Explorer is behaving in an odd way. When I try to open a drive or folder, it opens in a new instance of Explorer. I have tried to install a repair of Windows and re-installed Windows twice thinking that...
  4. How to change the FTP default protocol to windows explore?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to change the FTP default protocol to windows explore?: Since all browsers have removed ftp url support I have been using IE as my default protocol. In June Microsoft will be removing IE from windows, so I wanted to just change the default protocol app to windows explore but I can't windows 10 does not consider explore an App what...
  5. Connecting to FTP Windows 10 FTP server

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Connecting to FTP Windows 10 FTP server: Total newb here. Trying to set up a file server in Windows 10. I've set up IIS services FTP service, FTP extensibility, and IIS management console. I created a test site with a physical path to a local folder. I set up a port forward 21 with xFinity they say my server doesn't...
  6. Connecting to FTP Windows 10 FTP server

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Connecting to FTP Windows 10 FTP server: Total newb here. Trying to set up a file server in Windows 10. I've set up IIS services FTP service, FTP extensibility, and IIS management console. I created a test site with a physical path to a local folder. I set up a port forward 21 with xFinity they say my server doesn't...
  7. Cannot open FTP in File Explorer.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot open FTP in File Explorer.: I am using Windows 10 Pro version 2004. I used to open FTP in File Explorer about 2-3 months ago I am not sure about the version of Windows at that moment. But today when I paste the FTP address into address bar of File Explorer, the link opened in IE instead. All my...
  8. Prevent Caching Window File Explorer FTP

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Prevent Caching Window File Explorer FTP: I need to use Registry to change the internet setting when installing software to avoid the Window Explore FTP get cache's old file. here is the registry location...
  9. FTP No Longer in Explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    FTP No Longer in Explorer: So a few of my modded consoles use FTP. I prefer managing them through Windows Explorer, which worked for sometime. However, it has stopped working. Each time I attempt to open an FTP site, it pops-up with "How do you want to open this?". Googling has turned up several with...
  10. Windows 10, IE11 'Open in FTP explorer' doesn't do anything

in Browsers and Email
    Windows 10, IE11 'Open in FTP explorer' doesn't do anything: Just noticed that clicking on this option doesn't open it in file explorer like it does on my Windows 7 machine. I can browse my FTP drive fine from within internet explorer 11. It's not a major issue as I can type the address in file explorer and get it that way. It's just a...