Windows 10: change HDD and boot from file.vhd in new SSD

Discus and support change HDD and boot from file.vhd in new SSD in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi, i have a windows 10 laptop,i have bought a SSD because i want to change my old HDD, i have just created a VHD file and now i would like to set boot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by bentygiulio, Dec 22, 2016.

1. change HDD and boot from file.vhd in new SSD

Hi, i have a windows 10 laptop,i have bought a SSD because i want to change my old HDD, i have just created a VHD file and now i would like to set boot loader to get it started from my FILE.VHD in my new SSD.
    i have win 10 dvd-rom, but i don't want reinstall everything.
    i hope that is clear.

can you help me?
    Tks in advance

:)

bentygiulio, Dec 22, 2016
  2. alden2662 Win User

How to change boot from HDD to SSD?

I recently installed Crucial 275 GB M2 SSD in my new Acer Aspire E5-575-33BM laptop and cloned HDD to SSD with Easy US Todo back up software. Cloning appear to be successful and on disk management menu SSD looks like it healthy and has all Windows and partition
    copied and ready. Now, how to change boot from HDD to SSD? I understand I need to change boot on BIOS but not sure how to do it exactly. I tried to do it from YouTube video with changes in BIOS, but now I am not sure whether I did everything right and made
    laptop to boot from SSD or it still boots from HDD. Will appreciate some instructions how to check if boot comes from SSD and if not -how to change boot to SSD.

Thanks

AD

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows Ink & touch

alden2662, Dec 22, 2016
  3. Window 10 Home OEM , HDD to SSD transfer(Move)

I just want to move my Window 10 home OEM from my HDD to SSD. so i clone my window to SSD. change 1st boot priority to SSD. but when i try to start my Laptop its boot from HDD not from SSD. so without boot from SSD i can't format HDD system partition and
    can't use SSD as system

ravi kalathiya, Dec 22, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

change HDD and boot from file.vhd in new SSD

cereberus, Dec 24, 2016
  5. Kari Win User
    Only Part One in this tutorial is Hyper-V specific, explaining how to prepare a VHD from Hyper-V virtual machine to be added as native boot VHD to boot menu: Hyper-V - Native Boot VHD

From Part Two onwards, the instructions apply to any VHD or VHDX file containing a Windows installation.

Kari, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

change HDD and boot from file.vhd in new SSD

1. change HDD and boot from file.vhd in new SSD - Similar Threads - change HDD boot

2. Changing from hdd to ssd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Changing from hdd to ssd: I brought a laptop with preinstalled windows and it runs a hdd but i need to move the booting to ssd. How do i do that and will i lose my original windows? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-from-hdd-to-ssd/371aa436-0d29-4fad-bbcb-78e64651bdce
  3. Changing windows from hdd to ssd

Changing windows from hdd to ssd: So my computer is old and I have been upgrading it. Windows is on the first memory driver which is HDD but I have an SSD installed. I Want to change windows to the SSD. There are many different ways on the internet, but all of them use programs which I prefer not to. Can't I...
  4. Do the NATIVE boot from a "virtual" hdd (in *.VHD file) requires full virtualization...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Do the NATIVE boot from a "virtual" hdd (in *.VHD file) requires full virtualization...: Hello all I can't install the Windows 10(x64) into the virtual HDD drive (VHD) from the Rufus-based bootable USB flash drive with Win10 distr. The setup log showing two major errors: "the selected disk space is not of type esp" "the selected disk is a surfaced virtual...
  5. Move Desktop from HDD to new SSD boot drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Move Desktop from HDD to new SSD boot drive.: I have an older gaming PC to which I added a 240GB SSD and did a fresh install of Windows 10 20H2. The old, now secondary, HDD is a 1TB drive that served as my OS drive previously. Is there a way to move my old "Desktop" to the new SSD so that when I launch Windows I will see...
  6. Moving data from VHD to HDD

Moving data from VHD to HDD: Hello everyone, So I have a Windows Image Backup that I cannot mount because "the disk image isn't initialized, contains partitions that aren't recognizable, or contains volumes that haven't been assigned drive letters. please use the disk management snap-in to make sure...
  7. Boot files installing on HDD not SSD

Boot files installing on HDD not SSD: I wanted to make a clean installation of windows and format my ssd but didnt have a cd/usb to use. So I created a 12gb partition on my hdd and put the windows files on it from the ISO. After installation however, windows is installed on the ssd but the same partition I used...
  8. How to change boot drive from hdd to ssd?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to change boot drive from hdd to ssd?: One of the latest microsoft updates crashed my computer. As a result I had to get windows reinstalled in the repair shop. When I got my computer (laptop) back, I found that windows had been reinstalled on my hdd, not my ssd. I am looking to fix this now. I've already cloned...
  9. Moving Boot from HDD to new SSD in Win 10

Moving Boot from HDD to new SSD in Win 10: My old computer went "bad" (I suspect that Windows updates became increasingly incompatible with my seven year-old hardware), so I decided to upgrade my motherboard, CPU and add a new SSD NVMe drive. I would like to boot from my SSD and run Adobe Photoshop 6.0 on it, but all...
  10. Changing from HDD to SSD

Changing from HDD to SSD: I have installed an SSD drive to my desktop PC. I want this drive to be the boot up drive and have a clean copy of windows 10. What is the best way to go about this?...