Windows 10: Change how Apps and Websites Automatically Open for Sets in Windows 10

Discus and support Change how Apps and Websites Automatically Open for Sets in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change how Apps and Websites Automatically Open for Sets in Windows 10 How to Change how Apps and Websites Automatically Open for Sets in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jul 28, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Change how Apps and Websites Automatically Open for Sets in Windows 10

How to: Change how Apps and Websites Automatically Open for Sets in Windows 10

How to Change how Apps and Websites Automatically Open for Sets in Windows 10

Change how Apps and Websites Automatically Open for Sets in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Warning Sets is no longer available in Windows 10.

Sets shell provided tab experience is no more in Windows 10

Microsoft had Windows Insiders as a controlled study. The concept behind Sets is to make sure that everything related to your task: relevant webpages, research documents, necessary files and applications, is connected and available to you in one click. Office (starting with Mail & Calendar and OneNote), Windows, and Edge become more integrated to create a seamless experience, so you can get back to whats important and be productive, recapturing that moment, saving time Microsoft believes thats the true value of Sets.

Sets: With all the elements that go into a task, sometimes convincing yourself to get started is the hardest part. Sets help you keep webpages, documents, files, and apps connected, while remaining just one click away. When you close a file that includes a group of tabs, itll help you bring those tabs back to life the next time you open it. Whether its something you pick up later in the day or in a couple weeks, Sets is being designed to help you keep the important things together.

Add tabs to apps: To help fuel Sets, most apps will be able to add app and web tabs. When you select a link in something like an e-mail, itll open in a new tab next to the app you were using. Selecting the plus (+) in an app will take you to a new tab page, which will help you jump to your next location. You might already know where you want to go, or just need a little bit of inspiration. From here, youll be able to search your PC and the internet, access customized feeds, open frequently used websites and apps, and get suggestions based on your recent activity.

Starting with Windows 10 build 17666, the Sets section of Multitasking Settings now lets you set your windowing preference of should apps and websites open in a new window or a new tab. If you choose Window, new windows wont open into a new tab unless you explicitly click the + or drag with your mouse. Choosing Tab opens any new windows invoked from your running apps into tabs.

This tutorial will show you how to change Sets to have apps and websites automatically open in a new window or tab for your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Change how Apps and Websites Automatically Open for Sets in Settings
    • Option Two: Change how Apps and Websites Automatically Open for Sets using a REG file

OPTION ONE [/i] Change how Apps and Websites Automatically Open for Sets in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the System icon.

2. Click/tap on Multitasking on the left side, select Window or Tab (default) for what you want in the Apps and websites automatically open in a new drop menu under Sets on the right side. (see screenshot below)

3. You can now close Settings if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Change how Apps and Websites Automatically Open for Sets using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TabShellAppSettings

ForceNewTabGroup DWORD

0 = Tab
    1 = Window

1. Do step 2 (tab) or step 3 (window) below for what you want.

2. To Have Apps and Websites Automatically Open in a New Tab for Sets
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Alt+Apps_and_websites_automatically_open_in_new_tab_for_Sets.reg

Download

3. To Have Apps and Websites Automatically Open in a New Window for Sets
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Alt+Apps_and_websites_automatically_open_in_new_window_for_Sets.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. If you like, you can now delete the downloaded .reg file.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jul 28, 2017
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Windows 10 random automatic repair after changing boot priority.

Hello. So i have an Windows 10 Pro. Sometimes when i am changing in bios boot order from USB to HDD ( SDD ) windows starts booting with AUTOMATIC REPAIR and then restarting. Is this something with BIOS \ Windows 10 bug related? Tested on pc and on laptop , and sometimes it doing the same.

Situation on PC first,listen:

Few days ago after i change boot in UEFI BIOS from USB to SSD.
    Then Windows 10 showed at 1 boot Automatic Repair.
    When starting Windows 10 boot loader starts by "preparing automatic repair" and diagnosing pc.
    Interesting is that if I restart Windows (after procedure mentioned earlier) it will boot normally. This startup problem was occured only when starting system again after shutdown or restarted pc from windows.So i was needed 2 boots to boot properly to windows.
    But on pc, format was needed to remove completely issue and after format is fine.

Pc :
    2x8gb Kingston Hyperx 1600mhz DDR3
    SSD samsung Evo 250 gb
    4790k stock
    Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 with UEFI BIOS

Now laptop with old standard bios:
    On laptop i made the same operation, change boot from USB to HDD and on first boot Windows 10 shows Automatic Repair. But it happened once and i cant reproduce. No format was needed.

laptop is very old with 2gb ram

Why on pc format was needed when on laptop not?

Thanks for suggestions.

litwicki24, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Brink Win User

Mail app will not open on 10041.

Hello Adam,

This is the suggested solution below if you haven't already tried it. Change how Apps and Websites Automatically Open for Sets in Windows 10 :)

In this Windows 10 build 10041, the Mail, Calendar, and People apps may be broken due to a licensing issue with the Store Beta. To get these apps working again, you need to follow these steps:

• Open powershell as administrator
    • Run the command Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*windowscommunicationsapps*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online
    • Re-install Mail, People and Calendar from the Store (green tile)

Brink, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Cvrk Win User
    Installing Windows 10 on Lumia 920

I have a Lumia 920 mobile phone.
    Found a list on the net with compatible phones that support Win 10. Mine is on that list.
    Can't upgrade with the usual way.
    Found help on this official website of developers for Windows Phones. It's a step by step no brainer thing. Most people are doing it. Except me. I can't get past point 6. HOWTO: Install Windows 10 for Phones on Non-supported devices (and other hacks)

"6.Connect to the same WiFi that your PC is on. Edit the settings for the WiFi connection to turn on the Proxy and set it to use the PC’s IP address and enter 8877 for the port "

7. Open Internet Explorer on your phone and navigate to http://[pc.ip.add.ress]:8877 where [pc.ip.add.ress] is the IP address of the PC running the WPInsidersHacks app

No idea what this means.I guess i need to access the router and modify some settings in there. Some guy on the forum told me " think he means to use the local IP address of the pc. Go to cmd and type ipconfig and look for ipv4 address. Should be somethin like 192/......"

I did connect my phone as always via wi-fi to my router. But i have no ideea how to use that proxy or how to make my phone have the same Ip as computer. I did start WPInsiderHacks app on pc. This is what it looks like

Theres also this official Windows 10 Preview On Nokia Lumia 920 - Windows Central Forums
    It says this :
    1. Download the Windows Insider app.
    Press ... > about > make sure Sys free space is 300MB or more.
    If there isn't enough space, make full reset with Windows Phone Recovery Tool.

Code:
    upwp10.chinacloudapp.cn:7777

Download and install certificate.
    3. Edit WiFi connection, enable Proxy

Code:
    upwp10.chinacloudapp.cn

4. Open Insider app, click get builds
    5. You will get Enroll page, do not Enroll yet!
    6. Switch to WIFI settings, turn off proxy.
    7. Switch to Windows Insider app and now you can enroll for Windows 10 Technical Preview.
    Choose Fast option.
    8. Check Settings > Phone update.
    If it can't find updates, you may need to reboot your phone and enroll again (without a proxy now).

Same thing with the proxy. Anyways the more detailed steps on the DEV forum are much better i think .Cuz they put out more info on how to do it.

Can anybody help me with step 6 ?

6. NdMk2o1o Win User
    Windows 10 update being enabled.

Try setting your connection to metered and it shouldnt automatically download updates

To change this option for a wired Ethernet network, open the Settings app, head to Network & Internet > Ethernet, and click the name of your Ethernet connection. Enable the “Set as metered connection” option on the properties page.

Source

NdMk2o1o, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Change how Apps and Websites Automatically Open for Sets in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Apps Websites

2. settings window opens automatically

in Windows 10 Gaming
    settings window opens automatically: Dear All, I have an issue that started after installing updates KB5027119 and KB5027231, but I am not sure if it is related to these updates or not. The issue is whenever I start downloading a file from the internet, the windows settings window always opens. My laptop is...
  3. settings window opens automatically

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    settings window opens automatically: Dear All, I have an issue that started after installing updates KB5027119 and KB5027231, but I am not sure if it is related to these updates or not. The issue is whenever I start downloading a file from the internet, the windows settings window always opens. My laptop is...
  4. how to chnage language setting for apps and websites

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to chnage language setting for apps and websites: Today I have discovered that my apps, such as mail, are showing in Japanese. When I go to settings it shows all languages as UK English aside from the box labelled Apps and Websites. I have tried left and right clicking on the box to change the preference but nothing happens....
  5. Change lid settings automatically when an app is open

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Change lid settings automatically when an app is open: Is it possible to change the lid settings automatically when an app is opened and changing them back when the app is closed? For example, if I open Spotify, I want my lid settings to automatically change to "do nothing" and change back to "sleep" when I close Spotify....
  6. How to open and change Printer settings in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to open and change Printer settings in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Whether you’re printing a single document or multiple documents from a program on Windows 10, you will have to configure the print settings first. The Printer Settings page in Windows 10 allows you to configure different options like the paper [...] This...
  7. Windows automatically changed the settings

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows automatically changed the settings: All started when I was writing a blog... I got a call and left my laptop on for 5 min. The display turned off but the pc was on... I tried waking it up.. but there was no response. The disk read/write indicator was continuously lighted without a blink... The screen turned...
  8. Background app settings changing automatically.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Background app settings changing automatically.: Hi, when I change background app settings to "off", it changes automatically to "on" after next reboot. This uses more battery and data in background. What's the solution?[ATTACH]...
  9. Change Automatic Maintenance Settings in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Automatic Maintenance Settings in Windows 10: How to: Change Automatic Maintenance Settings in Windows 10 How to Change Automatic Maintenance Settings in Windows 10 Maintenance activity refers to an application or process that helps maintain the health and performance of a Windows PC. Maintenance includes keeping...
  10. Open and Change Settings for Apps in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Open and Change Settings for Apps in Windows 10: How to: Open and Change Settings for Apps in Windows 10 How to Open and Change Settings for Apps in Windows 10 [img] Information Universal Windows apps (formally called modern apps) can now be opened in resizable windows on your desktop like any other app now in...