Windows 10: Change Icon Cache Size in Windows

Discus and support Change Icon Cache Size in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Icon Cache Size in Windows How to Change Icon Cache Size in Windows The icons that display for files in Windows are saved in an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, May 12, 2018.

1. Brink Win User

Change Icon Cache Size in Windows

How to: Change Icon Cache Size in Windows

How to Change Icon Cache Size in Windows

The icons that display for files in Windows are saved in an icon cache so they can be displayed quickly instead of having to manually scan and slowly load them each time.

Sometimes you may notice File Explorer loads icons slowly when you open a folder with lots of files. Increasing the size of the icon cache may help.

By default, the icon cache is 500 KB. Increasing the icon cache size to 4 MB gives the best results, but you can change the size to what works best for you.

This tutorial will show you how to change the maximum size of the icon cache to fix slow loading icons in File Explorer for all users in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

*note You must be signed in as an administrator to change the icon cache size.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Change Icon Cache Size using a REG file
    • Option Two: Manually Change Icon Cache Size in Registry Editor

OPTION ONE [/i] Change Icon Cache Size using a REG file
    *note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the string value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

Max Cached Icons string value

(delete) = Default
    4096 = 4 MB

1. Do step 2 (4 MB) or step 3 (default) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Change Icon Cache Size to 4 MB
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Set_icon_cache_size_to_4MB.reg

Download

3. To Restore Default Icon Cache Size (500 KB)
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Default_icon_cache_size.reg

Download

4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. Restart the computer to apply.

8. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Manually Change Icon Cache Size in Registry Editor
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

2. Navigate to the key below in the left pane of Registry Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

Change Icon Cache Size in Windows [​IMG]

3. In the right pane of the Explorer key, double click/tap on the Max Cached Icons string value to modify it. (see screenshot above)

*note If you do not have a Max Cached Icons string value, right click on an empty area in the right pane of the Explorer key, click/tap on New, click/tap on String Value, type Max Cached Icons for the name, and press Enter.

4. Enter the icon size you want in KB (1 MB = 1024 KB), and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

Change Icon Cache Size in Windows [​IMG]

5. Close Registry Editor.

6. Restart the computer to apply.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, May 12, 2018
  2. Yolvi Ell Win User

Font and Icon size

Hi Vickie,

It's possible that some settings were accidentally changed, affecting your icons and font size. We'd like to learn more about your concern so that we could provide the proper resolution. We just have a few questions for you:

• Which build version of Windows 10 is on your computer? To check, click
      Start
      , type winver, and press Enter. For example, 14393.1066.
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

As initial recommendation, we suggest following these steps to change the icon size:

• Right-click on an empty space on your desktop.
    • Select View.
    • Choose Medium icons or Small icons, whichever you prefer more.

Additionally, you can change the display size of texts and other items by following these steps:

• Right-click on an empty space on your desktop.
    • Click Display settings.
    • Under Change the size of text, apps, and other items, drag the slider over to 100%.
    • If the slider is already on 100%, click Advanced display settings.
    • Under Resolution, choose the Recommended option from the drop-down choices.

We'll wait for your response to our questions and the results of the initial troubleshooting.

Yolvi Ell, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Mussels Win User
    Change icon size on vista 64

but it works EVERYWHERE, not just icon size.

MSN, IE, firefox, desktop icons, size of icons in folders... EVERYWHERE MUAHAHAHAHAHA

edit: no actually, it doesnt work on real humans breasts or genitals. it only works on windows PC's.

Mussels, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Arun B J Win User

change desk icon size in windows 10

Hi Beth,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern regarding the issue that you are facing.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps

• Go to system tray and click on all settings
    • Select system, click on display
    • Go to the right side of the Display segment and use the slider to
      change the size of text, apps and other items on your Windows 10
    To resize the desktop icons, select all the icons on the desktop (or only the ones you want to resize), hold down the Control key and rotate the mouse wheel. All of the selected icons will resize.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Thanks and Regards

Arun B J, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Windows vista x64 computer icon always changing

what icons are you referring to?
    In the Windows Explorer list or desktop?

twicksisted, Oct 27, 2019
  6. change desk icon size in windows 10

This step works once but just for the size of the icon. Then when turned off the size changes again. Even if changing the size of the icon, when opened the application text is the wrong size.

AngelaStuhr, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Change Icon Cache Size in Windows - Similar Threads - Change Icon Cache

2. Change Taskbar Icon Size

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change Taskbar Icon Size: I never commanded my taskbar to change anything so maybe this came with an update but I do not need extra large icons on my task bar just to see what I'm clicking on. I click on the taks bar to change the icon saize and click on taskbar settings and it's not even an option!...
  3. Change Taskbar Icon Size

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change Taskbar Icon Size: I never commanded my taskbar to change anything so maybe this came with an update but I do not need extra large icons on my task bar just to see what I'm clicking on. I click on the taks bar to change the icon saize and click on taskbar settings and it's not even an option!...
  4. Desktop Icon changes size

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Icon changes size: Windows 11 22H2 22621.2134 Public Release versionDoes anyone else have problems with Desktop Icons changing size?I have one icon on my desktop, that when I start my computer displays it's large size. During the course of the day while using my computer, without even touching...
  5. Desktop Icon changes size

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop Icon changes size: Windows 11 22H2 22621.2134 Public Release versionDoes anyone else have problems with Desktop Icons changing size?I have one icon on my desktop, that when I start my computer displays it's large size. During the course of the day while using my computer, without even touching...
  6. Desktop icons changed size?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icons changed size?: I had my desktop really nice and organised, all the icons were the default size and such. however i took my pc with me on holiday and plugged it into an external TV which in turn changed all my icons around and it changed their size . i thought it would be fine as when i...
  7. Icons randomly change sizes.

Icons randomly change sizes.: I have my desktop icons set to Large and all of the programs / shortcuts have 256x256 icons. They all appeared as large icons until a couple of days ago when a game I was playing crashed. After that about half the icons had reverted to a smaller size, this has also happened...
  8. How to change Microsoft Edge Cache Size in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to change Microsoft Edge Cache Size in Windows 10: [ATTACH]Unless you configure your Edge browser to do otherwise, it will keep a detailed record of all Internet browsing activity. For example, the websites you […] This article How to change Microsoft Edge Cache Size in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read...
  9. How to change Firefox Cache Size in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to change Firefox Cache Size in Windows 10: [ATTACH]A large browser cache implies that a larger amount of offline data can be stored on your PC. This, in turn, enables the browser to […] This article How to change Firefox Cache Size in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  10. Changing the size of desktop icons

Changing the size of desktop icons: Hello, When I place a shortcut to a file on the desktop it assigns the default icon (e.g. Word or Excel icon) and this is approx 80 x 80 pixels. If I then change that icon to one that I've created it displays at approx 40 x 40 pixels (choosing an icon from the icons folder...