Windows 10: "Change Icon..." yields a Medium-size icon only when I select an ICO file -- why and how do...

Discus and support "Change Icon..." yields a Medium-size icon only when I select an ICO file -- why and how do... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have valid ICO files (created from PNG files by IrfanView from the Windows Store). If my desktop icon view is set to Large icons (right-click on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by GraniteStateColin, Jul 12, 2018.

1. "Change Icon..." yields a Medium-size icon only when I select an ICO file -- why and how do...

I have valid ICO files (created from PNG files by IrfanView from the Windows Store). If my desktop icon view is set to Large icons (right-click on desktop -> View -> Large icons) and if I right click on a shortcut on my desktop, select Properties -> Shortcut tab -> Change Icon... and then select the ICO file as the icon, it selects it fine, but it only appears the size of a Medium Icon and there's a thin (maybe 1-pixel) border around the outside of where the icon border would be if it were a Large icon. I see this also happens with some lesser apps with their own native/included icons. My problem occurs regardless of the size of the icon image I have created (or at least making it bigger doesn't seem to help).

What is required of an icon to appear as a full size Windows 10 icon on the desktop, when view is set to Large icons?

:)

GraniteStateColin, Jul 12, 2018

2. Windows 10 LARGE shortcut Icons are the same size as Medium Icons

Hello guys,

Ok, I created some custom large icons for my folder shortcuts. I wanted the picture to fill the icon square space. The icon looks exactly the way I want it. But when I apply the icon to the shortcut, its the same size as the Medium icon except the so-called
    large one has a big thick border around it.

I tried using CTRL and scrolling the wheel and the icon stays the same but the surrounding border or padding gets bigger--not the picture. This is strange to me because if I put the same ICO file along side the folder, the ICO file is much bigger about twice
    the size of my shortcut icon.

I'm very disappointed that I can't get my shortcut icon to fill the whole icon space.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Am I just going to have to live with this? It doesn't make sense to allot that much space to an icon but just fill it with empty space. The medium and the large are the same size!

You can see in the attached picture below. The actual ICO file is much better. When I apply that icon to the shortcut it is the same size as the medium with more padding. Below the first row, the View is set to Extra Large, but the only thing that changes
    is the padding around the picture. Its not extra large at all. The picture is swamped in a sea of nothing!

"Change Icon..." yields a Medium-size icon only when I select an ICO file -- why and how do... ef02cb8a-924c-4778-a8be-661d84e93d8a.jpg

Jacob_Pressures, Jul 12, 2018
  3. Time Lady Win User
    icon text size

If you right click on the desktop it should give you the option to change the icon size,

• 1. Right-click on an empty space on the desktop.
    • 2. Select View from the contextual menu.
    • 3. Select either Large icons, Medium icons, or Small icons.

Time Lady, Jul 12, 2018
  4. "Change Icon..." yields a Medium-size icon only when I select an ICO file -- why and how do...

hard drive icon?

Hi, i am trying to change my hard drive icon and have never done it before. I searched and found a little guide but it didnt work. I downloaded an icon from iconarchive.com and so its a single icon in an ico file type.

It opened notepad and typed:

[autorun]

icon=C:\"the file extenstion".ico

and saved it as "C:\autrun.inf"

but this is how it turned out:

"Change Icon..." yields a Medium-size icon only when I select an ICO file -- why and how do... funnyicon.jpg

can anyone help me with this?

Pitchblack1110, Jul 12, 2018
Thema:

"Change Icon..." yields a Medium-size icon only when I select an ICO file -- why and how do...

1. "Change Icon..." yields a Medium-size icon only when I select an ICO file -- why and how do... - Similar Threads - Change Icon yields

2. How to change folder icon for empty and full for medium size folders and up.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change folder icon for empty and full for medium size folders and up.: This is what I have so far as a registry entry. [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Icons]"2"="\"D:\\Icons\\Dark-Gray-Folder.ico\"""3"="\"D:\\Icons\\Dark-Gray-Folder.ico\""Can someone please show me how to edit this entry so that I...
  3. How to change folder icon for empty and full for medium size folders and up.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change folder icon for empty and full for medium size folders and up.: This is what I have so far as a registry entry. [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Icons]"2"="\"D:\\Icons\\Dark-Gray-Folder.ico\"""3"="\"D:\\Icons\\Dark-Gray-Folder.ico\""Can someone please show me how to edit this entry so that I...
  4. W11 Desktop Shortcut Icon not changing when selecting and Ico file.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    W11 Desktop Shortcut Icon not changing when selecting and Ico file.: I set up a laptop and when I tried to change the icon on several shortcut which currently show white in color, it will not change. I'm choosing an ICO file and when I select the ICO file nothing changing. The shortcut is still white in color.Thank you,Kimberlee Graham...
  5. W11 Desktop Shortcut Icon not changing when selecting and Ico file.

W11 Desktop Shortcut Icon not changing when selecting and Ico file.: I set up a laptop and when I tried to change the icon on several shortcut which currently show white in color, it will not change. I'm choosing an ICO file and when I select the ICO file nothing changing. The shortcut is still white in color.Thank you,Kimberlee Graham...
  6. Desktop icons now only show when Large is selected. Medium and Small now only show blue...

Desktop icons now only show when Large is selected. Medium and Small now only show blue...: Desktop icons now only show when Large is selected. Medium and Small now only show blue screen background. Previously, worked fine. Desktop file folder is intact. If I try to add a program to desktop, it shows as 2 which means it is there, just not showing....
  7. Medium icon size keeps changing

in Windows 10 Support
    Medium icon size keeps changing: Hello, Since a couple of days, the medium size icons are displayed as small icons on my desktop and file explorers. The size switches at random times. After a reboot the icons stay fine (medium size) for a while, but then change to small size. This always happens for URL...
  8. how do I change icon size on desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    how do I change icon size on desktop: how do I change icon size on desktop? thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-icon-size-on-desktop/befff26f-6769-41aa-9350-d428c49e4f13
  9. File Explorer only Medium Icon shows icons and folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer only Medium Icon shows icons and folders: My icons disappeared only in (Extra) Large Icons but all of the file and folder icons only appear in medium icon. Ive been trying to solve this by searching through google but it didnt work. The files inside the folder disappeared too.[ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  10. How do I change max icon Size to 512x512?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I change max icon Size to 512x512?: Untitled — Postimage.org

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why my created icon picture doesnt completely fill the icon square space