Windows 10: Change IPv4 and IPv6 DNS Server Address in Windows

Discus and support Change IPv4 and IPv6 DNS Server Address in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; To change DNS on DHCP enabled network (without the need to enter the name): Code: wmic nicconfig where DHCPEnabled=TRUE call SetDNSServerSearchOrder... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by TairikuOkami, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Change IPv4 and IPv6 DNS Server Address in Windows

To change DNS on DHCP enabled network (without the need to enter the name):
    Code: wmic nicconfig where DHCPEnabled=TRUE call SetDNSServerSearchOrder ("208.67.222.222","208.67.220.220")[/quote]
    To change DNS based on MAC address:
    Code: wmic nicconfig where macaddress="D0:25:C2Change IPv4 and IPv6 DNS Server Address in Windows :D0:30Change IPv4 and IPv6 DNS Server Address in Windows :DC" call SetDNSServerSearchOrder ("208.67.222.222","208.67.220.220")[/quote]

:)

TairikuOkami, Mar 17, 2017
  2. jon111 Win User

Force Windows to use IPV4 DNS Server Address

My local bind9 DNS Server address comes from a local ISC DHCP server as an IPV4 address.

ipconfig /all show both IPV6 and IPV4 addresses for the DNS server in that order.

nslookup always shows only the IPV6 address for the "Default Server".

The system IPV6 prefix policy is set to prefer IPV4 over IPV6.

I want the system to only use the IPV4 address for the DNS Server.

So far, I have not been able to find a way to configure windows to stop using the IPV6 address

for the local DNS server.

Any specific help would be greatly appreciated.

jon111, Mar 17, 2017
  3. ASUS ET2701 Windows10 and WIFI

Log when working ok

Name: Ethernet

Description: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

Physical address (MAC): removed

Maximum transmission unit: 1500

IPv4 address: removed

IPv6 address: removed

DNS servers: removed

Connectivity (IPv4/IPv6): Disconnected

Name: Local Area Connection* 12

Description: Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter

Name: Wi-Fi

Description: Qualcomm Atheros AR9485WB-EG Wireless Network Adapter

Link speed (Receive/Transmit): 144/72 (Mbps)

DHCP enabled: Yes

DHCP servers: removed

DHCP lease obtained: ‎03 ‎July ‎2017 17:17:20

DHCP lease expires: ‎04 ‎July ‎2017 17:17:20

Default gateway: removed

DNS domain name:

DNS connection suffix:

DNS search suffix list:

Network name: ASUS

Network category: Public

Connectivity (IPv4/IPv6): Connected to Internet / Connected to unknown network

Name: Bluetooth Network Connection

Description: Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)

Name: Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Description: Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Maximum transmission unit: 1280

Default gateway: ::

Name: Ethernet 2

Description: TomTom #2

Maximum transmission unit: 0

Name: Local Area Connection* 2

Description: Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #3

Physical address (MAC): 1e:71:d9:83:33:df

Maximum transmission unit: 0

tony bowman w10, Mar 17, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Change IPv4 and IPv6 DNS Server Address in Windows

Tutorial updated for IPv6, and added more free DNS servers. *Smile

Brink, Mar 31, 2018
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Thank you for the additional DNS servers. *Smile

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
  6. lx07 Win User
    [/quote] That is pretty neat - it is nice to be able to run a command without having to find interface name manually - but SetDNSServerSearchOrder doesn't seem to work for IPv6 - I get error 70 invalid IP address.

In Powershell you do both IPv4 and IPv6 at once for all valid adapters. Code: Get-NetAdapter | ` Where-Object {$_.InterfaceIndex -in $(Get-DnsClientServerAddress).InterfaceIndex} | ` Set-DnsClientServerAddress -Addresses ('1.1.1.1','1.0.0.1','2606:4700:4700::1111','2606:4700:4700::1001')[/quote] Set-DnsClientServerAddress is worse than SetDNSServerSearchOrder in that it fails if it finds an invalid network adapter (such as a network bridge) - that is why you need the Where-Object bit. Conversely SetDNSServerSearchOrder just carries on and reports its failed attempts.

Pros and cons I suppose but in section 3 of the tutorial steps 5 and 6 could be combined - no need to do them separately if you don't want to.

7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Thank you for the addition. *Smile

Brink, Apr 10, 2018
  8. Change IPv4 and IPv6 DNS Server Address in Windows

How about making a tutorial for Family friendly DNS? *Nerd

Sorted by effectiveness: CleanBrowsing / UltraDNS / NortonDNS / OpenDNS

There also those 2, but they are questionable, though Adguard has a nice landing page.

Yandex (servers mostly for Russia ) / Adguard (blocks ADs and thus break some webpages)

TairikuOkami, Apr 11, 2018
Thema:

Change IPv4 and IPv6 DNS Server Address in Windows

1. Change IPv4 and IPv6 DNS Server Address in Windows - Similar Threads - Change IPv4 IPv6

2. Change Preferred DNS server

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change Preferred DNS server: Hello have fresh installation Windows 10 (up to date), version 1803, build 17134.320 In network configuration Prefered DNS server always has value 172.0.0.1. I make the change to my need and after save and flush DNS ipconfig /flushdns value get back to 172.0.0.1 Thank you...
  3. Autoconfiguration ipv4 address

Autoconfiguration ipv4 address: I static an windows 10 pro pc IP address at my job and when I check command prompt, I still get Autoconfiguration ipv4 address 169.254.254.154 (preferred) showing instead of the IP address I assigned manually. is there a way to stop the Autoconfiguration ipv4 address?...
  4. TCP/IPv4 Obtain server address automatically resets

TCP/IPv4 Obtain server address automatically resets: Windows 10 Pro, version 1803, 2018-07 OS Build 17134.167 (KB4345421) on multiple machines with 8 Mgb + memory. Uverse Pace to Linksys EA 4500 to Server 2016 Essentials Network with a domain. DHCP on Router 192.168.100.254 DNS Server 192.168.100.10 Five desktops and I have...
  5. Server DNS address could not be found

Server DNS address could not be found: Hi, yesterday, after the most recent windows 10 update, my laptops wifi kept disconnecting every five minutes and getting the server DNS address could not be found error. Re-connecting wifi helps, but only for 5 or so minutes. Scanned for viruses, didn't find anything....
  6. static IPv4 wifi address while ethernet uses IPv6 address?

static IPv4 wifi address while ethernet uses IPv6 address?: A machine running 64-bit win10 belongs to one WorkGroup, connects to the LAN via EtherNet for speed but it must be available via wifi also, so both connections are open. For an Android device to access an app served by a webapp served on the win10 machine, the win10 machine...
  7. IPv4 and IPv6 Connectivity?

IPv4 and IPv6 Connectivity?: Hi, I did a clean install of my Win10 Home about a week ago and it all turned out for the good. However, tonight while nosing around my Network Connections I notice I am connected to the Internet by Ethernet (Realtek PCle GBF Family Controller) which I thought I was since...
  8. Changing DNS server

Changing DNS server: Can I use either one of these to change my DNS server. I have a T-Mobile version of the ASUS TM-AC1900 router. The ASUS does not seem to have an alternate address input 92132
  9. OPEN VPN Google public DNS servers (Ipv4)

OPEN VPN Google public DNS servers (Ipv4): Hi there Any better / faster public DNS servers than Google's 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for using with Web browsing on OPENVPN. (IPV4) Using the Google DNS's is OK but I'm sure they are collecting info all the time !!!! -- mind you Google just has SO MUCH I'm sure they can't...
  10. ipv4 connected ipv6 no network access

ipv4 connected ipv6 no network access: Hello all, I just bought a new computer and it connected to the internet fine. Today, right after an update from Asus Live Update, my internet stopped working. It says the wifi is connected but when I open a browser and search it says no internet. I went into control panel...