Windows 10: Change location of program without uninstalling & reinstalling?

Discus and support Change location of program without uninstalling & reinstalling? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi: I accidentally installed game into my Start Menu; i.e. it's installed into C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Games. I would... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by phrab, Jul 23, 2017.

1. phrab Win User

Change location of program without uninstalling & reinstalling?

Hi:
    I accidentally installed game into my Start Menu; i.e. it's installed into C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Games.

I would like to have it installed into C:\Program Files (x86)\Games. Does anyone know how I could either 1) make the changes in the registry & then move the files, or 2) know of a utility that I can get that would do it for me?

I should mention that I have a very old utility (never used) from PC Magazine called coa32 (change of address). However, I have a 64-bit computer now & I'm not sure that it would work.

Thanks in advance!

:)

phrab, Jul 23, 2017
  2. EekdeV Win User

Corel Paint Shop Pro X7

Thanks, but it changed nothing .(code 0x000007b)un'

Ofcourse I uninstalled & installed both programs several times without succes.

EekdeV, Jul 23, 2017
  3. auggy Win User
    I can't print after upgrade to Windows 10. I get a Windows Visual C++ Runtime Error- please help

What I might suggest is to uninstall and then reinstall the printer driver:

Right-click the Start button > Program and Features

Under "Uninstall or change a program" locate the Lexmark printer software and then uninstall the Lexmark printer software.

Restart the computer and then install the Windows 8 driver for the printer from the following link - you may have to install the driver in compatibility mode for Windows 8 to get full features:

http://support.lexmark.com/index?pa...LEXMARK_X5650&segment=SUPPORT&userlocale=EN#1

auggy, Jul 23, 2017
  4. Tony K Win User

Hi there. Personally I wouldn't be using any utility that messes with the registry, especially an old one.

If the game is running ok, I'd just keep it there. If it bothers you that much, I would uninstall and reinstall it.

Tony K, Jul 23, 2017
  5. phrab Win User
    Thanks for the response & your advice. I've modified the registry before & I know how to recover from a bad entry, so I'm not afraid to do so, but I agree that an old utility is probably not a good idea.

phrab, Jul 23, 2017
  6. Steve C Win User
    It's far simpler just to uninstall the game and reinstall in the preferred location. Do you have any game saves you need to keep? If so, you need to work out their location then save and copy the files to the new location.

Steve C, Jul 23, 2017
  7. phrab Win User
    Thanks for your advice. I will do as both of you have mentioned. This forum is awesome.

phrab, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Change location of program without uninstalling & reinstalling? - Similar Threads - Change location program

2. How to change the writing location for programs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to change the writing location for programs: I am trying to save space for my steam games and I was doing a routine clean up when I noticed that in my hard drive E, there were programs saving and installing there. I intentionally do not install programs there and never save data there other than steam games. What...
  3. Uninstall a program without any program files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Uninstall a program without any program files: I accidentally and unintentionally installed an adware called MusiCalm. I directly deleted the program files located in users/Edward/appdata/roaming, without going into the windows program list and uninstalling it there. Now, I can't remove it from my programs list, and every...
  4. can an uninstalled app or program be reinstalled later

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can an uninstalled app or program be reinstalled later: how do I uninstall an app or program so that it can be reinstalled later? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-an-uninstalled-app-or-program-be-reinstalled/d4bfa33f-86ae-44b9-8eb8-453bd8cc4238
  5. 'Location not available' after uninstalling program.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    'Location not available' after uninstalling program.: I am having difficulty installing a program. On uninstall I get file explorer with 2 identical error messages stating the start menu folder is not available... ? This is a brand new Windows 10 pro installation on a new SSD and this is maybe the 5th program I've installed....
  6. uninstall or change a program is not opening

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    uninstall or change a program is not opening: I'm trying to open " uninstall or change a program " through the quick access ribbon in 'This PC ' but its not working. plz help! i'm sharing a video link of that problem, i had record it. here is the link : https://youtu.be/_DB4_0pR10I...
  7. Reinstall Windows Without Reinstalling Programs?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Reinstall Windows Without Reinstalling Programs?: I have an SSD that I use to install any and all programs that let me choose the install location. Is there any way I don't have to reinstall those programs? or would I have to, so that keys are made in the registry? If I still have to reinstall all my programs, could I just...
  8. Uninstall Program Without Installing Bloatware

Uninstall Program Without Installing Bloatware: Downloaded Nox (an Android emulator) and during installation it installed several bloatware programs which I promptly removed. Those same programs were reinstalled when I uninstalled Nox. I restored my PC to a point before the uninstall and would like to uninstall it again...
  9. program not located for uninstalling

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    program not located for uninstalling: I need to uninstall a program, but its not listed in the control panel's program list. I can see it on the 'windows tree', but it wont let me uninstall from there either. How can I manually uninstall?...
  10. Windows: Uninstall or change a program

Windows: Uninstall or change a program: Hi All I had an error code in Adobe CC. After locating the error code of 301 on their website, they advice uninstalling their products then run their CC Cleaner Tool. The problem that I have encountered a problem through the "Uninstall or change a program" module. Whilst...