Windows 10: Change Main Display in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Main Display in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Main Display in Windows 10 How to Set a Display as Main Display in Windows 10 If you have two or more displays connected to your... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by aeneas1, Mar 14, 2017.

1. aeneas1 Win User

Change Main Display in Windows 10

How to: Change Main Display in Windows 10

How to Set a Display as Main Display in Windows 10

If you have two or more displays connected to your PC, then you will be able to select which display you want as the main display for all users by default.

The display set to be the main display will act as the active desktop, show the clock and notification area on the taskbar, sign in, lock, and CTRL+ALT+DELETE screens will open on, and most items will open on the main display by default when you initially open them.

This tutorial will show you how to set a display to be the main display when you have multiple displays connected to your Windows 10 PC.

Any user on the PC will be able to set a display as the main display.

The display set as the main display will be applied to all users on the PC.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Set a Display as Main Display in Settings
    • Option Two: Set a Display as Main Display in NVIDIA Control Panel

EXAMPLE: Display set as Main Display

Change Main Display in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Set a Display as Main Display in Settings
    1 Do step 2 or step 3 below for how you would like to open Display settings.

2 Right click or press and hold on your desktop, click/tap on Display settings, and go to step 4 below. (see screenshot below)

3 Open step 4 below.

4 On the right side of Display, click/tap on the display number at the top that you want to make the main display, and check the Make this my main display box under Multiple displays. (see screenshot below)

You can click/tap on the Identity button to briefly display numbers on your display(s) to help see which display belongs with each number.

If Make this my main display is grayed out, then it means that the currently selected display is already set as the main display.

5 When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Set a Display as Main Display in NVIDIA Control Panel
    This option will only be available if you have NVIDIA graphics and the latest NVIDIA GeForce graphics driver installed.

1 Right click or press and hold on your desktop, and click/tap on NVIDIA Control Panel. (see screenshot below)

2 Click/tap on the Set up multiple displays link under Display in the left pane, right click on the display number you want to set as the main display, and click/tap on Make primary. (see screenshot below)

The display number with an asterisk * on it is the current primary (main) display.

You can click/tap on Identity in the context menu to briefly display the number on the display it is for.

3 Click/tap on Apply. (see screenshot below)

4 Click/tap on Yes to confirm. (see screenshot below)

You will only have 20 seconds to click/tap on Yes before your changes automatically revert back to what it was set to before.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

aeneas1, Mar 14, 2017
  2. OttO34 Win User

How to Change the Main Display in Windows 10 ?

Not helpful at all, W10 doesn't highlight the 'Make This My Main Display' to change the display monitor when working on a laptop with a second monitor. I tried everything and at least my version W10 home and student is not allowing that.

Any other thoughts on how to change the main display

OttO34, Mar 14, 2017
  3. A_SAL Win User
    How to Change the Main Display in Windows 10 ?

Hello,

I have multiple Displays .. I cant Set my main as main .. it Keeps showing as number 2 ?!

Wasted 2 hours of my time trying to do that .. please clarify how to do that ?

>>>>(I need No1 on the right side and No2 on the left side )<<<<

What I am getting is the left one has no1 and the right side is 2 ... How To Fix please

Also .. Why is the option to choose deferent Wallpapers for each Display is messing ?

Thanks

A_SAL, Mar 14, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello aeneas1,

Do you have "Extend desktop to this display" set for your displays in the "Multiple displays" drop down?

Brink, Mar 14, 2017
  5. aeneas1 Win User
    yes i do....

this has been an adventure, just when i think i'm getting close i hit another bump... thing is, i use multiple (2) displays every day with my work pc and have never had any prob at all, it's a very straightforward process, but with my new setup it's like pulling teeth....

speaking of my new setup, it's actually a home theater system as follows:

windows 10/64, home edition, nuc i5, 16 gb mem.... i've connected the nuc's display port to my 1366 x 768 monitor using a display port to hdmi cable, and the nuc's hdmi port to my 1920 x 1080 tv's hdmi input... i want the 1366 x 768 monitor to be my main display but i just can't make it work, the tv is always the main display... i guess i could try connecting the display port to the tv and the hdmi to the monitor, but that would require some elbow grease given my equipment rack, would much rather do it within windows if at all possible....

aeneas1, Mar 14, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It will be interesting to hear how that works out.

I assume that you have already tried different connections to the monitor to see if one may work better than the other.

If you like, you might also see if the program DisplayFusion may work better for your situation.

Brink, Mar 14, 2017
  7. Faeldihn Win User
    Hi,

I currently use two displays. While this configuration feature works 95% of the time, regularly the boot ends up with swapped content of the screens (main display icons in the secondary, secondary ones in the main, the main display remains the main one) and fewer times with the task bars also swapped (main display changed).

Like aeneas1, I don't have access to "Make this my main display" (greyed) in the first case even if the "Extend these displays" appears in the combo. In the second case, swapping "main" attribute keeps the icons swapped.

Will there be a way to lock the configuration [1][2] / [2][1] to monitor IDs?

Regards.

Faeldihn, Jul 27, 2017
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Faeldihn, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

The monitor IDs is determined by the port on the graphics card the monitor is connect to. You can swap the connections for the monitors on your graphics card to change them.

Brink, Jul 27, 2017
  9. djbillyd Win User
    But when using two different connection types, will this still work? Which is the priority connection? I would've thought it would be the VGA, since that is the PnP that is most common, but I use the VGA, as my desktop monitor, and the HDMI to my TV monitor. It's the TV monitor (HDMI) that always ID's as No. 1.

djbillyd, Jul 27, 2017
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Yeah, having different connection types won't work like that to change the ID. *Sad

Brink, Jul 27, 2017
  11. djbillyd Win User
    Didn't think so. I just got used to the backward priority, and am living with it.

djbillyd, Jul 27, 2017
  12. Faeldihn Win User
    Thank you.

Both monitors use HDMI ports of the unique GC, and swapping the monitors doesn't solve the issue.
    Once the content has been swapped on boot, swapping the monitors (while powered, ouch!!!) doesn't change a thing. In fact, I have to wait for the same issue to happen again and... "voil "... icons are back where they had to.

It looks more like the monitors don't get detected in the same order on each boot (GC? OS device manager? Variable latency of Monitor PnP HW?).

Faeldihn, Jul 27, 2017
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

You would have wanted to swap the connections while everything is turned off instead.

Brink, Jul 27, 2017
  14. Faeldihn Win User
    Did too... started with that actually, but the boot kept the monitors as swapped as they were.

Faeldihn, Jul 27, 2017
  15. djbillyd Win User
    You need to connect them one at a time. The one that you want as No. 1, should be connected on initial boot. Shut down, completely, connect No. 2, and see if that helps. I have a system that I manage, and that's the procedure I followed, and it worked. It doesn't work on my home office though. Go figure! Just a thought....

djbillyd, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Change Main Display in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Main Display

2. Main display changes after screen lock / stand by

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Main display changes after screen lock / stand by: HiI have an external monitor connected to my laptop. The display setting is "Extend this display" and the external monitor is set as main display. Recently I am experiencing the following issue. Sometimes, After I lock windows and or after the standby, when I try to log back...
  3. Main display changes after screen lock / stand by

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Main display changes after screen lock / stand by: HiI have an external monitor connected to my laptop. The display setting is "Extend this display" and the external monitor is set as main display. Recently I am experiencing the following issue. Sometimes, After I lock windows and or after the standby, when I try to log back...
  4. Monitor Wallpaper Changing Main Display Colors Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor Wallpaper Changing Main Display Colors Windows 11: Hi, I have a laptop connected to a monitor as my setup, and I use the "slideshow" option to change the background every minute. Sometimes I am working, and suddenly my main display appears visually warmer whenever my background becomes a certain picture on the secondary...
  5. Monitor Wallpaper Changing Main Display Colors Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Monitor Wallpaper Changing Main Display Colors Windows 11: Hi, I have a laptop connected to a monitor as my setup, and I use the "slideshow" option to change the background every minute. Sometimes I am working, and suddenly my main display appears visually warmer whenever my background becomes a certain picture on the secondary...
  6. Windows 10 Dual Displays - Keep my main display

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Dual Displays - Keep my main display: I have been using Windows 10 on my Dell desktop PC for many years. I recently installed a clean installation & of course have all the updates. I have 2 monitors, my main Lenovo 24" 1920x1080 monitor display 2, and my 55" Samsung 4K HDTV configured 1920x1080 display 1,....
  7. How to change the main account of windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to change the main account of windows 10: Hi, I am trying to change the main account of Windows 10 because the one that I have now has been blocked, and I think someone hacked it. Thanks to the "really good" Microsoft support, I am not able to recover it because all the modules that I sent failed with irrefutable...
  8. Main display switches

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Main display switches: Hello - this might possibly be a bit outside of the Windows discussion since I run Windows 7 on a RH Linux laptop (it's a work requirement), but I'll ask since I have not been able to figure this out or find a solution anywhere. I use 3 monitors - laptop is #1 and I use #2...
  9. Taskbar, DO NOT DISPLAY on Main Display

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar, DO NOT DISPLAY on Main Display: Hello. With Win8 and Win10, there seems to be better support for multiple monitors. However, I've been having difficulty with one thing in particular: getting the main taskbar to display on a non-primary monitor. In fact, ideally, I'd rather just not have the taskbar on the...
  10. Main Display Issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Main Display Issue: Anyone come across this issue? Tagging @Kari in to add to the list of bugs found in Win10 if it is determined to be a bug. I have 3 monitors, i always have the middle screen as my main display however today i noticed that the time/date and notifications area etc were now...