Windows 10: Change Maximum Processor Frequency in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Maximum Processor Frequency in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Maximum Processor Frequency in Windows 10 [img] Information Processor frequency specifies the operating frequency of the CPU's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Cliff S, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Cliff S New Member

Change Maximum Processor Frequency in Windows 10

How to: Change Maximum Processor Frequency in Windows 10

Change Maximum Processor Frequency in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information Processor frequency specifies the operating frequency of the CPU's core(s) in MHz. The higher the frequency is for a CPU, the faster the processor is.

You can specify the approximate maximum frequency (in MHz) of your processor from within Windows 10 to limit the frequency if needed. For example, to save energy or the CPU is running too hot at a higher frequency. By default, the maximum processor frequency is set to 0 for unlimited allowing the processor to run as high as what is capable of.

This tutorial will show you how to change the maximum processor frequency setting in Power Options to what you want in Windows 10.

Note Any changes to the maximum processor frequency setting will affect all users on the PC that use the same power plan.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Change "Maximum processor frequency" in Power Options
    • Option Two: To Change "Maximum processor frequency" in Command Prompt

OPTION ONE [/i] To Change "Maximum processor frequency" in Power Options
    1. If you haven't already, you will need to first add the "Maximum processor frequency" setting to Power Options.

2. Open the power plan.

3. Expand open the Processor power management setting, set the Maximum processor frequency setting to how many MHz you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

Note The default frequency is 0 MHz for unlimited.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Change "Maximum processor frequency" in Command Prompt
    1. Open a command prompt.

2. Enter the command(s) below you want to use into the command prompt, and press Enter. You can close the command prompt when finished. (see screenshots below)

(On battery)
    *Arrow powercfg -setdcvalueindex SCHEME_CURRENT 54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00 75b0ae3f-bce0-45a7-8c89-c9611c25e100 <MHz>

AND/OR

(Plugged in)
    *Arrow powercfg -setacvalueindex SCHEME_CURRENT 54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00 75b0ae3f-bce0-45a7-8c89-c9611c25e100 <MHz>

Note Substitute <MHz> in the commands above with the maximum processor frequency you want.

The default frequency is 0 MHz for unlimited.

For example:

powercfg -setdcvalueindex SCHEME_CURRENT 54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00 75b0ae3f-bce0-45a7-8c89-c9611c25e100 0

powercfg -setacvalueindex SCHEME_CURRENT 54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00 75b0ae3f-bce0-45a7-8c89-c9611c25e100 0

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Cliff S, Dec 3, 2017
  2. Mikesline Win User

Windows 10 - Maximum Processor Frequency

I agree with this reply. Why put a setting up with a default of "0" and no explanation?

One poster ASSUMED the setting was in percent, as all the other in that section are. But, the field is asking for "frequency" and clearly prompts for Mhz.

So if this is a Window's setting, why isn't it explained on Microsoft site, in case the wrong setting actually can damage the processor. Say for example, I set it to 5,000 more than twice the rating of my PC. It took! Will that actually run at that frequency?

Mikesline, Dec 3, 2017
  3. bshaw400 Win User
    Windows 10 - Maximum Processor Frequency

Seems rather self-evident. However, the latest Win10 build provides some additional power management functions.

If the firmware/OS is supposed to manage it all by default and users(or even admins) shouldn't touch it, why provide it? If these were just reg hacks for admins only, then why provide it on a GUI? Doesn't really make sense and the default settings for Maximum
    processor frequency are rather nebulous : 0 mhz. If Intel wants to make CPU speed floating for energy reasons, having a Max and a min makes sense but really can't they figure out those speeds for their own CPUs? Shouldn't Max be max of whatever is provided?
    And that can be easily determined by Intel? Odd.....

bshaw400, Dec 3, 2017
  4. Change Maximum Processor Frequency in Windows 10

MS is slowly removing features that were in the CP. One day it will all be gone.

Josey Wales, Dec 3, 2017
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Dec 3, 2017
  6. Cliff S New Member
    Cliff S, Dec 3, 2017
  7. Polo6RGTI Win User
    I use my own registry script to add extra options to the advanced power settings.

Polo6RGTI, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Change Maximum Processor Frequency in Windows 10

1. Change Maximum Processor Frequency in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Maximum Processor

2. Maximum Processor Frequency in Power Options stays at "0"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Maximum Processor Frequency in Power Options stays at "0": My laptop is a Lenovo X1 Carbon G10. I am trying to stop the fans from coming on frequently and cool the laptop down altogether. I have already:Set system cooling to PassiveSet maximum processor state to 50%Enabled Maximum processor frequency - here I am running into a...
  3. Maximum Processor Frequency in Power Options stays at "0"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Maximum Processor Frequency in Power Options stays at "0": My laptop is a Lenovo X1 Carbon G10. I am trying to stop the fans from coming on frequently and cool the laptop down altogether. I have already:Set system cooling to PassiveSet maximum processor state to 50%Enabled Maximum processor frequency - here I am running into a...
  4. Maximum processor frequency is ignored by my windows 10 system

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Maximum processor frequency is ignored by my windows 10 system: As you can see, maximum processor frequency won't work in my system https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/maximum-processor-frequency-is-ignored-by-my/26801648-332f-4b43-ac9c-94a070bd5682
  5. Maximum processor frequency is ignored by my windows 10 system

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Maximum processor frequency is ignored by my windows 10 system: As you can see, maximum processor frequency won't work in my system https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/maximum-processor-frequency-is-ignored-by-my/26801648-332f-4b43-ac9c-94a070bd5682
  6. Maximum processor frequency is ignored by my windows 10 system

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Maximum Processor Frequency in Power Options not Working Properly

in Windows 10 Customization
    Maximum Processor Frequency in Power Options not Working Properly: Hi as described here I turned on maximum processor frequency in power options in Windows and set the max to 4 GHz; my CPU maxes out at ~4.8 GHz. If I resume from standby with the option enabled my CPU will throttle properly for a half minute or so then it will drop down from...
  8. The frequency and maximum load of the processor is limited

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The frequency and maximum load of the processor is limited: Windows 10 Pro 1803. The frequency and maximum load of the processor is limited, although the "High performance" power plan is included and there are no limits. Sometimes when I change power plan and reboot PC, the limiter is remove, but not for long time.[ATTACH]...
  9. What is the correct Maximum Processor Frequency Setting

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    What is the correct Maximum Processor Frequency Setting: I was looking at the power settings and saw the Maximum and Minimum Processor Frequency Settings were both at 0 MHz which is the default setting when Windows 10 was installed. The computer is running fine and fast but I wonder what the best setting would be? Thanks. 86343
  10. Add or Remove Maximum Processor Frequency in Windows 10 Power Options

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Maximum Processor Frequency in Windows 10 Power Options: How to: Add or Remove Maximum Processor Frequency in Windows 10 Power Options How to Add or Remove "Maximum processor frequency" from Power Options in Windows 10 Processor frequency specifies the operating frequency of the CPU's core(s) in MHz. The higher the frequency...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. How do I change maximum processor state command prompt

2. to change maximum processor frequency in command prompt

3. windows 10 max frequency problem