Windows 10: Change menu fonts

Discus and support Change menu fonts in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi to all, I am using windows 10 and I am trying to change the default fonts of the OS(I think is Segoe UI). I know that has been changed since... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by spiron, Dec 10, 2015.

1. spiron Win User

Change menu fonts

Hi to all,
    I am using windows 10 and I am trying to change the default fonts of the OS(I think is Segoe UI). I know that has been changed since windows 8, but I was able to change them so far by modifying the keys in "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics" in registry(Segoe UI look terrible on my screen and I prefer Tahoma).

Since the last version of windows 10(10586) something changed regarding the fonts. Now the fonts of the right-click context menu in desktop and file explorer are somehow connected with the the fonts of the new black right-click context menu in taskbar and start menu button and the fonts of the control panel and I think the ribbon in file explorer. I came to that conclusion because when i deleted all the keys regarding Segoe UI in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts", all the fonts of the above "fallback" to Arial and when I deleted only Segoe UI regular they fallback to Segoe UI italic.

As a result modifying menufont key in WindowsMetrics doesn't change the fonts in context menus of desktop and of file explorer. Menufont key still has an effect in menus of third party software like my player(MPC-HC) or in some right-click menus of windows like in the volume and network icons in taskbar. The other keys in WindowsMetrics folder(iconfont, statusfont e.t.c.) still working.

Now my question is obvious, is it possible to change the fonts in the other menus? Is there a separate key in registry regarding those fonts or are they hard-coded in some dll? Why oh why they keep changing these things? Thank you.

:)

spiron, Dec 10, 2015

2. Change font for e72

Dear you can change the fonts size,

Menu->ctrl panl->setting->Genrl->Personlz->Display->font size

or

Menu->Font magni

Heart_Sacaner, Dec 10, 2015
  3. Squickly Win User
    Windows 10 Icon and System fonts?

With Windows 7 it was possible to change the fonts used by Windows for title bar, menus, icons, popups etc... This way I could get rid of "anti-aliased" fonts such as Segoe UI that are blurry and use "aliased"
    fonts such as Tahoma that are sharper and much more readable for me. That and disabling ClearType give me the right fonts display configuration.

But I cannot find this font configuration in Windows 10. In order to change system fonts, I had to download a software called WinAeroTweaker that has options to change those fonts. So I changed
    them, all but one... the fonts for menu still stayed the same, even though I changed the menus font to Tahoma, it's still by default, idk why is that, is that windows 10 bug in latest versions?

Here's screenshot of how my font looks on icons and how on right-click menu: http://i.imgur.com/6Ri5KC5.png

Does anyone knows why they even removed system fonts from windows 10? This is how it was in Windows 7 (sorry for French): http://i.imgur.com/apWmCCB.png

Squickly, Dec 10, 2015
  4. Lange666 Win User

Change menu fonts

Want to know the same thing as you.
    M$ started with this in Internet Explorer 9 if i'm correct (could also been 8). All of a sudden i had fonts i didn't like. They seemed hardcoded into the browser itself.
    Since i didn't found any way to changes these back to the Verdana Font i used and liked, i started using other browsers instead of Internet Explorer (first Opera, later FireFox, testing out all major browsers).
    With Windows 7 and 8 they went a step further each time to make it more and more difficult to change these fonts.
    With Windows 8 only a program like WinAeroTweaker or a registry hack worked (through WindowsMetrics) for all the fonts.
    Since Windows 10 it does only work for 3th party stuff, all Windows related menu's etc... still have that dreaded Segoe UI font.
    Didn't find a way around it yet either.

Wonder what will happen with Windows 11. Will they force their font on everything by then?

Lange666, Dec 10, 2015
  5. Sachhyam Win User
    I just managed to work around the font thing with some hit and trial in the registry and it looks as if it works. After I updated my Windows 10 to build 10586, I had exactly the same problems spiron mentioned. I used a third party software (WindowsAeroTweaker) and it worked like a charm along with necessary registry modifications before the update. After updating to build 10586, I found that I could change the fonts on icons, title bars, etc etc using WindowsAeroTweaker and editing the FontSubstitutes directory in registry editor but I couldnt change the fonts on the right click menu (the one you get when you right click on the desktop background).

I was left a little frustrated and tried to play around with the registry keeping a backup just in case I went a little too far. After I had given almost all hope, I decided to just replace the Segoei UI fonts with my desired/custom font. I restarted my laptop and then the system chose an Arial font for the Windows. I again replaced the Arial fonts with the same font I wanted and restarted my computer again. After I rebooted and logged in, I was really surprised. The fonts I wanted showed up not only on the righ-click menu but on the date/time and taskbar as well. I will post the result here and the proof in the next post.

Note: I could not manage to sort out the fonts when opening Run command. It still uses an Arial Black font (I guess)

Change menu fonts [​IMG]

Change menu fonts [​IMG]

Change menu fonts [​IMG]

Sachhyam, Jan 20, 2016
  6. Sachhyam Win User
    Here is the proof of the registry modifications I made.

# Important: Please keep a backup of your current registry or take a screenshot of the default font names you are replacing.

Change menu fonts [​IMG]

Change menu fonts [​IMG]

Change menu fonts [​IMG]

Sachhyam, Jan 20, 2016
  7. Sachhyam Win User
    If someone finds a solution to edit the font names on run commands and dialog option on saving files, please share it.

Change menu fonts [​IMG]

Change menu fonts [​IMG]

Sachhyam, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Change menu fonts

1. Change menu fonts - Similar Threads - Change menu fonts

2. Start menu font was misteriously changed to a serif type

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu font was misteriously changed to a serif type: Evening!I recently formatted my PC and, due to my advancing age, my readability is a bit affected, so I used Winaero Tweaker WAT to change some fonts, such as message boxes, title bars, menus, icons and the system font. The ideal thing would be to do this in a native control...
  3. Start menu font has changed

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu font has changed: Can anyone tell me why the search bar font has changed? I don't know the font name but much wider then before almost fills the space. Also, when I click in the search bar it reverts back to the original font. Can anyone help me to change it back please?...
  4. Changing the Color of the Context Menu & it's Font

Changing the Color of the Context Menu & it's Font: I would like to change the background color of the general context menus & also their font, but I can't find a way to do it in Windows 10. In Windows XP (I know...long, long ago*Smile), you could right click the desktop, go to Properties > Appearance > Advanced & make all...
  5. Changing Context Menu and Taskbar font in Win10 1909?

Changing Context Menu and Taskbar font in Win10 1909?: This has confused me. For a while I had every font changed within Windows, but the 1909 update reverted the Context Menu and Taskbar to the default Segoe. All other fonts can be changed except these. Even using WinAero Tweaker and registry edits it has no effect. I have...
  6. Can No Longer Change Menu fonts or Desktop icon fonts ?

Can No Longer Change Menu fonts or Desktop icon fonts ?: Although it wasn't nearly as good as the days of changing the system font, there was an area where one could change the size and style (bold, italicized etc) for menus, context menus etc. I can no longer find any way to do this. Is there a way? I'm assuming one still can't...
  7. Windows 10 menu and system fonts, changing

Windows 10 menu and system fonts, changing: So, Windows 10 updated overnight and all of my menu and window fonts are tiny and hard to read. The discussion on using display settings to change font size turns out to have no effect. Here is my work-around that fixed the problem: 1. In File Explorer, right click on...
  8. Windows Menu Font size - can't change??

Windows Menu Font size - can't change??: I'm running Windows 10 (build 17134.590) on a Dell XPS. My windows updated recently, and suddenly this morning all of my menu fonts are huge. I've tried the Display settings for both monitors together and individually, but the settings to adjust the font sizes is gone now....
  9. Can not change Taskbar and Desktop popup menu font

Can not change Taskbar and Desktop popup menu font: Hi, on Windows 10 I have changed system font to Tahoma, like in WinXP by using Winaero Tweaker. This is the most readable / best font on my normal DPI graphics monitor - Eizo ColorEdge CG243W. But on Taskabar and desktop popup menu font is still default Segoe UI. How can I...
  10. How to change context menu font? 1709 16299.125

How to change context menu font? 1709 16299.125: I can't change this font: [img] I need Tahoma 8, to see like this: [img] Thank you. 105847