Windows 10: Change Monitor that Startup Screen Appears On

Discus and support Change Monitor that Startup Screen Appears On in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hello everyone! I've just recently installed Windows 10 and I've been quite impressed. I've been able to iron out almost all of the little glitches... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by mattfosterlp, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Change Monitor that Startup Screen Appears On

Hello everyone!

I've just recently installed Windows 10 and I've been quite impressed. I've been able to iron out almost all of the little glitches that come with upgrading. Except for one.

My computer has four monitors. The primary one (28" 4K) is in the center. It's flanked on both the right and left by two older 1080p monitors in portrait orientation (my desk simply can't fit them all in landscape otherwise I would do that.) The fourth monitor is just a TV and I really only use it for Netflix and other video.

The difficulty I'm having is that the startup screen (or lock screen) appears usually on the left portrait monitor, and it's obviously sideways. Occasionally it will appear on the right portrait monitor and I'm completely baffled as to why it would switch like that. What I would like though is for it to appear on the primary monitor, properly oriented. I have to admit I could even tolerate it on one of the side monitors, if it didn't display sideways.

Does anyone know if there is a way to change which monitor the startup screen appears on?

Thank you so much!

:)

mattfosterlp, Sep 7, 2015

2. Screen saver with dual monitors

As the title indicates, I use dual monitors and am trying to set up my screen saver to show a slideshow. When I do this, the pictures appear on the seam between the monitors. Is there anyway to change it so they only appear on the main monitor?

JeremyHogue, Sep 7, 2015
  3. MULITPLE DISPLAY WINDOWS 10

Not trying to move files. Teying to move one screen shot to other monitor. At the moment rhe screen shot appears on both screens and there is no option to have each monitor as a separate. Umber 1 and 2. Number 1 is the notebook and number 2 is both monitors.
    There is no menu box to change the number on one of the monitors.

IanMcConnell37WTF, Sep 7, 2015
  4. bro67 Win User

Change Monitor that Startup Screen Appears On

You need to choose the one you want to be #1. Just open up display options and then go to the Screen Resolution tab. Do not do it from Settings. Do it from the Control Panel.

bro67, Sep 7, 2015
  5. I appreciate your response bro67! However, I'm looking at that menu now and I'm not able to find a way to change the main monitor to be #1.

Here's a screen cap:

Change Monitor that Startup Screen Appears On [​IMG]

You'll notice the primary monitor is #2. It's set as the primary monitor. But the startup screen usually appears in monitor #1, and occasionally in monitor #4. Unfortunately I don't see a way to change the numerical designation. Changing the wiring is also not possible since the central monitor uses DisplayPort and the side monitors are both DVI. The nVidia control panel doesn't seem to offer an option for changing the numerical designation either.

mattfosterlp, Sep 7, 2015
  6. SoFine409 Win User
    Did you try clicking on advanced setting? I think I needed to do the same thing your asking about and that's where I found it.

SoFine409, Sep 7, 2015
  7. Bullet100 Win User
    I don't think there's a way of doing this through the Operating System itself. You may be able to alter it via the BIOS but i'm not 100% sure on that as it may depend on the Motherboard itself. From my understanding it sets the display numbers by the order you have them plugged in. Notice that some GPU's have numbering on their display ports to signify this!

Although there is another possible solution where you basically go through a series of unplugging and re-plugging the monitors in the order you want them. I was always taught this was a bad thing to do with VGA / DVI as it could damage the monitor. I don't know if this is true so try it at your own risk. I also don't know if this applies to newer HDMI / DP either.

Bullet100, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Change Monitor that Startup Screen Appears On

1. Change Monitor that Startup Screen Appears On - Similar Threads - Change Monitor Startup

2. On screen keyboard doesn't appear on startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    On screen keyboard doesn't appear on startup: When I turn on my Surface Pro 8 W11 without physical keyboard connected the on screen keyboard doesn't appear and I am not able to sign in. No keyboard icon on the sign in screen neither. Any suggestions?...
  3. On screen keyboard doesn't appear on startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    On screen keyboard doesn't appear on startup: When I turn on my Surface Pro 8 W11 without physical keyboard connected the on screen keyboard doesn't appear and I am not able to sign in. No keyboard icon on the sign in screen neither. Any suggestions?...
  4. Boot Screen keeps appearing on second monitors

in Windows 10 Customization
    Boot Screen keeps appearing on second monitors: Hi, Whenever I start my PC the boot screen where I have the ability to go into BIOS always appears on my vertical second monitor. I am using 2 DP from my nvidia graphics card. I made sure the monitors are set propoerly on the NVIDIA control panel and also on the display...
  5. Black monitor screen at Startup

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Black monitor screen at Startup: How do I troubleshoot a black monitor screen at startup? 164669
  6. Fuzzy monitor screen on startup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Fuzzy monitor screen on startup: hi everyone, Whenever I first boot up my computer each day or from hibernate, my computer monitor will be fuzzy and I have to shutdown the computer before booting it up to work. when I check the event log, I see this error below. Any help is greatly appreciated. [ATTACH]...
  7. In Windows 10, how do I change the Admin name so it appears on the monitor at startup...?

In Windows 10, how do I change the Admin name so it appears on the monitor at startup...?: In Windows 10, how do I change the Admin name so it appears on the monitor at startup...? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/in-windows-10-how-do-i-change-the-admin-name-so-it/c9350b5c-dec8-42e2-84ab-88e3bd5fcc80
  8. Log in screen does not appear on startup

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Log in screen does not appear on startup: I'm using Win 10, Ver 1903 on a 3 yr old HP Pavilion laptop. I had set password protection on startup and has worked fine for years but now it skips the sign in screen when I turn the laptop on. If laptop goes to sleep while not in use. it will ask for the password. This...
  9. On screen keyboard appears on startup.

On screen keyboard appears on startup.: BACKGROUND: I have a new surface pro6 with keyboard cover and a desktop machine. Both run Win10 pro. The Surface pro 6 is a replacement since the first one's WIFI system failed. At some point when setting up the original SP6, I must have clicked something which allowed...
  10. Display Monitor Setting Changes on Startup

in Windows 10 Support
    Display Monitor Setting Changes on Startup: I have a Toshiba laptop running Windows 10. My main display monitor is a LG 24 widescreen plugged into the laptop. With Windows 7, I had no problems in using Fn key f5 to set the display to only the LG (showing as "CRT" on the screen). This did not change when I re-booted...