Windows 10: Change Mouse Primary Button to Left or Right in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Mouse Primary Button to Left or Right in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Mouse Primary Button to Left or Right in Windows 10 How to Change Mouse Primary Button to Left or Right in Windows 10 [img]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Cluster Head, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Change Mouse Primary Button to Left or Right in Windows 10

How to: Change Mouse Primary Button to Left or Right in Windows 10

How to Change Mouse Primary Button to Left or Right in Windows 10

Change Mouse Primary Button to Left or Right in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information In Windows, you can select the primary button of your mouse to be the left or right button. The primary button is used for functions such as selecting and dragging.

This tutorial will show you how to change the mouse primary button to be the left or right button for your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Change Mouse Primary Button in Settings
    • Option Two: To Change Mouse Primary Button in Mouse Properties
    • Option Three: To Change Mouse Primary Button using a REG file

OPTION ONE [/i] To Change Mouse Primary Button in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Devices icon.

2. Click/tap on Mouse on the left side, and select Left (default) or Right in the Select your primary button drop down on the right side. (see screenshot below)

3. When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Change Mouse Primary Button in Mouse Properties
    1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the Mouse icon.

2. In the Buttons tab, check or uncheck (default) the Switch primary and secondary buttons box for what you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

Note These settings may vary based on your mouse or touchpad drivers.

OPTION THREE [/i] To Change Mouse Primary Button using a REG file

Note The .reg files below will modify the string value in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Mouse

SwapMouseButtons String Value

0 = Set primary button as left
    1 = Set primary button as right

1. Do step 2 (left) or step 3 (right) below for what you want to set.

2. To Set Left Button as Mouse Primary Button
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Set_left_button_as_primary_for_mouse.reg

Download

3. To Set Right Button as Mouse Primary Button
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Set_right_button_as_primary_for_mouse.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. restart the computer to apply.

8. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

:)

Cluster Head, Apr 19, 2016
  2. Brink Win User

Set Left Button as Primary not Right Button

Hello, *Smile

If this is for a mouse, you can check using the tutorial below to see if its primary button is set the way you wanted.

*Arrow Change Mouse Primary Button to Left or Right in Windows 10

Brink, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Brink Win User
    Brink, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Brink Win User

Change Mouse Primary Button to Left or Right in Windows 10

Brink, Oct 26, 2019
  5. srfpala Win User
    Set Left Button as Primary

In the Win10 task bar on the left edge is the windows symbol which currently responds to a rightmouse button click. Can I change it to respond to a left button click instead ?Settings show Right-handed (left Primary Click ) radio button is set.
    What do you suggest ? Bob

srfpala, Oct 26, 2019
  6. srfpala Win User
    Set Left Button as Primary

In the Win10 task bar on the left edge is the windows symbol which currently responds to a rightmouse button click. Can I change it to respond to a left button click instead ?Settings show Right-handed (left Primary Click ) radio button is set.What do you suggest ?Bob

srfpala, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Change Mouse Primary Button to Left or Right in Windows 10

1. Change Mouse Primary Button to Left or Right in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Mouse Primary

2. Left mouse button not working right

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Left mouse button not working right: First I thought hardware issueWhen I click the left mouse button it doesn't work. I press it 5-10 times then it may respond once. In the mouse settings if I switch from right to left buttons then the right works fine however when I restart my system it switches back to left....
  3. Left mouse button not working right

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Left mouse button not working right: First I thought hardware issueWhen I click the left mouse button it doesn't work. I press it 5-10 times then it may respond once. In the mouse settings if I switch from right to left buttons then the right works fine however when I restart my system it switches back to left....
  4. Left mouse button not working right

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Mouse Primary Button keeps changing itself to right click

Mouse Primary Button keeps changing itself to right click: My mouse's primary button keeps changing to right click all by itself. I can temporarily fix it by changing it back to left click but after sometime it goes back to right click. Is there any long-term solution? Please help me I really need it...
  6. Mouse Primary Button keeps changing itself to right click

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mouse Primary Button keeps changing itself to right click: My mouse's primary button keeps changing to right click all by itself. I can temporarily fix it by changing it back to left click but after sometime it goes back to right click. Is there any long-term solution? Please help me I really need it...
  7. Mouse Primary Button keeps changing itself to right click

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. How to change left/right buttons on a mouse ?

How to change left/right buttons on a mouse ?: How to change left/right buttons on a mouse ? I have a left-handed mouse and i want to switch buttons left/right. However when i do that in mouse options, left/right buttons on my touchpad are changed as well !! i don't want to change them. I want to swap buttons only for...
  9. Set Left Button as Primary not Right Button

Set Left Button as Primary not Right Button: The Windows Icon is located in the lower left corner of the screen. When I LB click it, an hour glass icon appears, then goes away, and there is no further action. When I RB Click, I see the expected pop up menu which contains the shutdown command among others. Shouldn’t this...
  10. Set Left Button as Primary not Right Button

in Windows 10 Support
    Set Left Button as Primary not Right Button: The Windows Icon is located in the lower left corner of the screen. When I LB click it, an hour glass icon appears, then goes away, and there is no further action. When I RB Click, I see the expected pop up menu which contains the shutdown command among others. Shouldn’t this...