Windows 10: Change Multi-Partition Configuration

Discus and support Change Multi-Partition Configuration in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have attached a file to show the current configuration of my hard drive. Historically, I purchased the computer with Vista OS and then added the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by kaysee, Aug 31, 2016.

1. kaysee Win User

Change Multi-Partition Configuration

I have attached a file to show the current configuration of my hard drive. Historically, I purchased the computer with Vista OS and then added the Windows 7 and Windows 10 partitions later as as these OSs became available. I am now running out of space on my hard drive and want to delete the Vista OS and expand the Windows 7 and Windows 10 partitions. Using the MiniTool Partition Wizard I change the Windows 10 partition to 'Active' but when I rebooted my computer it would not boot - the error message was "BOOTMGR is missing, Press Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart". I used the MiniTool bootable disc to change back to the original settings and the computer booted normally.

I would be grateful for assistance to achieve the dual boot (Windows 7 and Windows 10) configuration that I want.

:)

kaysee, Aug 31, 2016

2. What happens on the Tech Preview partition? What can be saved to One Drive from 8.1 partition. I am running Office Pro 2013, and Testing 2016 in Tech Preview.

Original title: After upgrade

My current system is a Gateway GM 5420. It was a multi-media system with 2 GB of ram and a 350 GB had in raid 0 configuration . I maxed ram@4gb of 667ghz ram I upgraded OS from Vista to 8.1 pro. Before installing Win 10 Technical preview, I partitioned the
    had in two equal partitions. I installed Windows 10 Technical Preview,, currently on build 10162. The win 20 reservation is on the 8.1 partition. What happens on the Tech Preview partition? What can be saved to One Drive from 8.1 partition. I am running Office
    Pro 2013, and Testing 2016 in Tech Preview. Should I anticipate any problems?

JamesWeimar, Aug 31, 2016
  3. Windows creating partitions

Read these two articles first to know more about the extra partitions created and the default layouts used:

Windows (during setup only, not at random after install) will create certain partitions by default (ESP, MSR etc.) If you have multiple copies of the same partition type (especially if you're not multi-booting), then there are ways to merge them or get rid
    of unnecessary ones without affecting the system's ability to boot and function normally. Search the net if you want tutorials.

As for the extra partitions created even during a clean install, you can prevent some of them by pre-partitioning the disk before installing the OS, but others are required (depending on the type of install) and cannot be avoided.

If you don't like it you can always switch to something else.

RobertJWin, Aug 31, 2016
  4. topgundcp Win User

The Boot Manager is in partition F: and that's why it's marked Active. You need to move it to C:

topgundcp, Aug 31, 2016
  5. kaysee Win User
    Many thanks for your assistance. That solved the problem and I will not be able to delete the Vista partition and adjust the size of the partitions for Windows 7 and Windows 10.

kaysee, Aug 31, 2016
  6. Kbird Win User
    You'll need to explain more ...WHY? or do you mean you changed your mind about that ?

I assume you are booting into Win 10 now with no multiboot (dualboot) menu ?

Kbird, Sep 2, 2016
  7. kaysee Win User
    I made a typo in my response to topgundsp's advice. I meant to write "I will NOW be able to delete......". Hence my problem was solved. I am now using the C partition containing Window 10 as my boot partition and I am also able to boot into Vista and Windows 7 when needed. I will delete the VIsta partition when I actually run out of space on the hard drive. Thanks everyone for your advice.

kaysee, Sep 2, 2016
  8. Kbird Win User

Nice *Smile thanks for reporting back and confirming it works for others too.

Kbird, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Change Multi-Partition Configuration - Similar Threads - Change Multi Partition

2. Formatting multi partition HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Formatting multi partition HDD: Hey I have just removed an 2.5" 500gb hdd from my old broken xbox one. I want to use it as spare portable hdd, for which I have a 3.0 USB HDD case. I would like to format the HDD with windows disk managment or any other HDD mangament tools (like AOMEI Partition Manager) but...
  3. Change brightness by multi touch

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change brightness by multi touch: Hi! On my laptop, I want to control volume by sliding three fingers up and down (works well) and screen brightness by sliding three fingers left and right (does not work) on the touchpad. The problem is, it is not included in the available actions dropdown list, so I have to...
  4. Change brightness by multi touch

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change brightness by multi touch: Hi! On my laptop, I want to control volume by sliding three fingers up and down (works well) and screen brightness by sliding three fingers left and right (does not work) on the touchpad. The problem is, it is not included in the available actions dropdown list, so I have to...
  5. My harddrive disk partition configuration changed unexpectedly

in Windows 10 Customization
    My harddrive disk partition configuration changed unexpectedly: My hard drive disk partition configuration changed unexpectedly. I discovered the problem when I got an error message saying my Windows 10 automatic update failed due to lack of space on the C: drive. The D: drive is now slated as the main data partition and shows 915GB of...
  6. Fix windows' reserved partition on a linux multi-boot machine

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Fix windows' reserved partition on a linux multi-boot machine: Hi, so recently to fix an update error in Windows, I have decided to delete the Windows' reserved partition (DellUtility) to grow it from about 40MB to 3.5GB, then recovered the content with the partition image I took a few days ago. I did run the 'update-grub' command (my...
  7. Configuring System Image on Recovery Partition

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Configuring System Image on Recovery Partition: Hello - I have just done a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro to my reasonably old hardware. I am running a boot loader called Clover which emulates EFI and Windows 10 has therefore been installed to a GPT disk. I manually configured the partitions according to this:...
  8. Multi Monitor Application Changes

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Multi Monitor Application Changes: Im running 3 monitors. When windows goes to sleep and wakes all the open applications are moved between displays and resized. I've google'd and found some topics but, with no resolution. I'd like to be able to pin/stick an application to a display. One monitor is just a 7"...
  9. Multi Recovery Partitions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Multi Recovery Partitions: Folks: I have a Dell Venue 8 Pro with an upgraded Windows 10 installed. Always perform Windows Update but did not pay attention too closely. When the drive space was low and started looking a little bit closer, I found out that I have several Recovery Partitions. From Disk...
  10. Will Multi OS USB with MBR partition work?

in Windows 10 Support
    Will Multi OS USB with MBR partition work?: I have created a usb with 3 OS namely Windows 7, 8.1 and Windows 10 altogether with MBR partitioning scheme thru my PC which is also running under MBR. I want to know whether this same USB can be used in my laptop Lenovo G50 -70 to install the OSes. My laptop is having GPT...