Windows 10: Change Name of User Profile Folder Tutorial-- Edited Name Won't Save.

Discus and support Change Name of User Profile Folder Tutorial-- Edited Name Won't Save. in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I created a second temporary admin user name, logged in and found the correct file in the registry editor. However, every time I try to edit the user... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by flasny80, Jan 30, 2018.

1. flasny80 Win User

Change Name of User Profile Folder Tutorial-- Edited Name Won't Save.

I created a second temporary admin user name, logged in and found the correct file in the registry editor. However, every time I try to edit the user name, according to Step 8 of the tutorial here,

Change Name of User Profile Folder in Windows 10 User Accounts Tutorials

I get the following error message., "Cannot edit profile image path. Error writing value's new contents." Changing the case of the edited user name results in the same error.

I need to change the paths because my OS became corrupted and crashed recently apparently from a failed automatic update. Repair techs reset to factory settings and the default user, "Owner." I was able to go in and change the user name on the lock screen and start menu to my existing one, but since the folders are still "Owner," my third party automatic backup service software does not recognize this as the same computer and will not restore certain data nor back up new data. There have been too many programs and data already manually restored by the repair techs or me to delete "Owner" and start over.

I'm an experienced, moderately computer literate user who can follow instructions and links, but I'm not technical, so please keep responses specific and relatively simple. Thank you.

:)

flasny80, Jan 30, 2018

2. Microsoft account windows username.

Hello oyuu,

This would be for the name of your user profile folder at "C:\Users\<user name>".

You could use the method in the tutorial below to change the name of this folder.

Change Name of User Profile Folder in Windows 10

Shawn Brink, Jan 30, 2018
  3. Sumit Dhiman2, Jan 30, 2018
  4. lx07 Win User

Sounds like you don't have authority.

Are you sure the user you made is definitely part of administrators group? You can check it by running this from elevated command prompt - it will list profiles which are part of Administrators group. In my case it is Hali and Administrator Code: PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> net localgroup administrators Alias name administrators Comment Administrators have complete and unrestricted access to the computer/domain Members ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hali Administrator The command completed successfully. PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>[/quote] If the profile is part of Administrators group then check the permissions on the key in regedit. Browse to the relevant S-1-15-21-xxxxxx key, right click and select "Permissions...". Administrators should have full control like this:

Change Name of User Profile Folder Tutorial-- Edited Name Won't Save. [​IMG]

5. hawkman Win User
    hawkman, Jan 30, 2018
  6. flasny80 Win User
    Thank you both. I was able to change the permissions and edit as in Step 8, proceeded through Steps 9 and 10 and got stuck again on Step 11, Couldn't rename "Owner" because of an error message that the file was open. I was logged in under the temporary administrator and signed out of my primary user at the time. Of course, because the two locations now didn't match, when I tried to sign in under the primary user again, I couldn't , so I went back and reversed Step 8 for now. Please assist. Thank you.

flasny80, Jan 31, 2018
  7. lx07 Win User
    I'd reboot, sign on your temp account and start again from step 8.

Something had C:\Users\Owner open and rebooting should clear it.

When you get to step 11 make sure it looks like the picture in the tutorial.

Don't open C:\Users\Owner so you see the contents (C:\Users\Owner\Documents, C:\Users\Owner\Downloads etc) in any File Explorer window.

8. flasny80 Win User

Thank you. Technically, this works, as I was able to change to the preferred user, but it then rendered numerous programs and shortcuts inoperable, including Outlook and my backup software. Am I correct in assuming that there's no practical way of searching and replacing every instance of "Owner" in file paths with the preferred user?

flasny80, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Change Name of User Profile Folder Tutorial-- Edited Name Won't Save. - Similar Threads - Change Name User

2. Change user name and user folder name

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change user name and user folder name: My Lenovo/Windows setup has chosen a stupid user name for me, shortened from the first letters of my MS account ID. How do I safely change my user name on my PC, and more importantly, my c:\users\user folder name whilst maintaining my Windows account name for logging in etc?...
  3. User Profile Folder Name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User Profile Folder Name: This just something I'm starting up in hopes that enough people will complain about it that Microsoft will change the programming to make it easier to get your User folder renamed. Because going through the hassle of creating a new user, backing up all your files in your...
  4. Need help with changing name of user profile folder

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Need help with changing name of user profile folder: I would like to change the name of the user profile folder. I have found and tried a few methods including one from Microsoft forums. None of them worked. I kept getting something about my User needing to sign out and back in again that there was a problem, so I would sign...
  5. Need help with changing name of user profile folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Need help with changing name of user profile folder: I would like to change the name of the user profile folder. I have found and tried a few methods including one from Microsoft forums. None of them worked. I kept getting something about my User needing to sign out and back in again that there was a problem, so I would sign...
  6. User's Name Desktop Folder changed it's name to "Folders"

User's Name Desktop Folder changed it's name to "Folders": I have a problem with my User Folder. Actually the User Folder name is fine, but when you add the Folder on the desktop (with the option on Personalize + Themes) it changed it's name to "Folders" I've tried creating new users, but every new user I create, no matter how...
  7. Why is the name of the folder in Users "change name"

Why is the name of the folder in Users "change name": Why is the name of the folder under Users = "change name"?? See attached [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/why-is-the-name-of-the-folder-in-users-change-name/8f767542-c7b9-4baa-8f8b-e4b2eaa7f240
  8. Why is the name of the folder in Users "change name"

Why is the name of the folder in Users "change name": This is the only User on my PC besides "Public". Why is it "change name"? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/why-is-the-name-of-the-folder-in-users-change-name/e7070d11-0079-48fe-8e56-9459ec15b114
  9. User Profile Name Change

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User Profile Name Change: how do i change my user profile name from "quadr" to my name "Patrick"? for some reason, when i clean installed, it set up my user profile like that instead of my name... 9824
  10. Change Name of User Profile Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Name of User Profile Folder in Windows 10: How to: Change Name of User Profile Folder in Windows 10 How to Change the Name of a User Profile Folder in Windows 10 When signs in to the new account for the first time. A user profile is a collection of settings that make the computer look and work the way you...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. user profile folder name wont change