Windows 10: Change Narrator Keyboard Layout in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Narrator Keyboard Layout in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Narrator Keyboard Layout in Windows 10 How to Change Narrator Keyboard Layout in Windows 10 Narrator is a screen-reading app built... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by sportsfan7702, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Change Narrator Keyboard Layout in Windows 10

How to: Change Narrator Keyboard Layout in Windows 10

How to Change Narrator Keyboard Layout in Windows 10

Narrator is a screen-reading app built into Windows 10.

Narrator lets you use your PC without a display or mouse to complete common tasks if youre blind or have low vision. It reads and interacts with things on the screen, like text and buttons. Use Narrator to read and write email, browse the internet, and work with documents.

Specific commands let you navigate Windows, the web, and apps, as well as get info about the area of the PC you're in. Navigation is available using headings, links, landmarks, and more. You can read text (including punctuation) by page, paragraph, line, word, and character as well as determine characteristics like font and text color. Efficiently review tables with row and column navigation.

Narrator also has a navigation and reading mode called Scan Mode. Use it to get around Windows 10 using just the up and down arrows on your keyboard. You can also use a braille display to navigate your PC and read text.

Finally, you can personalize Narrator's voice to adjust the speaking rate, pitch, and volume as well as install some third-party text-to-speech voices.

Starting with Windows 10 build 17692, there is a new Standard keyboard layout for Narrator that is designed to be more familiar to screen reader users. The Standard keyboard layout is more like the keyboard layout you may have experienced in other screen readers.

You can explore all the new and updated commands in Chapter 3: Using scan mode. When keyboard commands are mentioned in this guide, theyre for the new standard keyboard layout. Some of the new commands include updates to Narrators page, paragraph, line, word, and character commands. Youll also notice new commands like Narrator Find, list of links, list of headings, and list of landmarks. For some commands, you can now use the numeric keypad.

*note Your keyboard will default to the Standard layout. If you want to change this, choose the Legacy layout. New Narrator commands will not be available in the Legacy keyboard layout if keystrokes for legacy commands conflict with those used in new Narrator features.

For more details about the new Standard keyboard layout for Narrator, see:
    This tutorial will show you how to change the Narrator keyboard layout to Standard or Legacy for your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Change Narrator Keyboard Layout in Settings
    • Option Two: Change Narrator Keyboard Layout using a REG file

OPTION ONE [/i] Change Narrator Keyboard Layout in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Ease of Access icon.

*note You can press the Win+Ctrl+N keys to directly open to Narrator settings.

2. Click/tap on Narrator on the left side, and select Standard (default) or Legacy in the Select keyboard layout drop menu for what you want on the right side under the Choose keyboard settings section. (see screenshots below)

*note You will only be able to change the Narrator modifier key if you have selected the Standard keyboard layout.

3. You can now close Settings if you like.

Change Narrator Keyboard Layout in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Change Narrator Keyboard Layout in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION TWO [/i] Change Narrator Keyboard Layout using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Narrator

KeyboardLayout DWORD

0 = Legacy
    1 = Standard

1. Do step 2 (Standard) or step 3 (Legacy) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Use Standard Keyboard Layout for Narrator
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Use_Standard_keyboard_layout_for_Narrator.reg

Download

3. To Use Legacy Keyboard Layout for Narrator
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Use_Legacy_keyboard_layout_for_Narrator.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

sportsfan7702, Jul 28, 2015

2. Keyboard always changes the layout

Hi Michael,

I suggest you to follow the steps from this article and check:

Change the default keyboard layout or input method

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17424/windows-change-keyboard-layout

Note: Applies to windows 10 as well.

Please get back to us with the results of the issue in regards with
    keyboard layout and any other questions you might have regarding Windows operating systems. We are happy to assist.

Regards,

Guru Kiran

Guru Kiran G, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Changing the keyboard layout

Hello,

Thank you for keeping us posted.

As per the description, I understand that you are experiencing issue changing the keyboard layout in Windows 10 on the system.

I certainly understand your concern and will try my best to help you.

I really appreciate all your efforts in trying to fix the issue.

I would suggest you to refer to the suggestions provided by
    “Rajesh Govind” replied on October 13, 2014 in the following Microsoft Community link.

How to change the keyboard layout on Windows 10 TP?

Also, I would suggest you to refer to the article given below and check if that helps.

Change your keyboard layout

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-keyboard-layout#1TC=windows-7

Note: The above steps holds good for Windows 10 as well.

I hope this information is helpful.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Jayant

Jayant Gupta, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Arun B J Win User

Change Narrator Keyboard Layout in Windows 10

Windows 10 "Update" Changed keyboard layout on welcome screen and I can't change it back.

Hi,

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve the issue.

• How many keyboard language have you installed?
    If you have installed more than 1 keyboard language in your system, then I suggest you to remove the keyboard language other than default language and check if it helps.

Follow the steps to remove the language.

• Open Control panel.

• Click on language.

• Select the language and click on remove option at the top.

And also refer the link below and check if it helps.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17424/windows-change-keyboard-layout

Keep us posted on this issue so that we can assist you better.

Arun B J, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Swapna S Win User
    IME with various keyboard layouts

Hi Sean,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing in changing the
    keyboard layout. I will certainly help you.

This issue might occur, if you have selected any default language for keyboard layout.

Follow below mentioned step to change the keyboard layout Language.

• Press and Hold Windows key + space bar key from your keyboard.

• On right corner of your desktop, you will see a small pop windows that shows keyboard layout Language.

• Using down and up arrow keys, you can change the keyboard layout Language.
    Please get back us, if you are still facing issue
    in changing the keyboard layout language.

Thank you.

Swapna S, Oct 27, 2019
  6. How to prevent Windows 10 from changing keyboard language layout?

I want to prevent Windows 10 from automatically changing my keyboard language layout.

I have both English and Spanish language setup on Windows, but I want to keep JUST the Spanish keyboard layout. Windows 10 keep 'updating' and adding the English keyboard layout.

I find I need to go to Language settings and manually removing the English keyboard layout and adding the Spanish keyboard layout under the Enlglish language settings.

I simply wantto STOP this.

All the resources I have found refer to the previous Windows 10 version before the update.

It is impossible to follow those steps after having the Windows 10 Creator´s Update installed.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Best regards.

Enrique Camou, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Change Narrator Keyboard Layout in Windows 10

1. Change Narrator Keyboard Layout in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Narrator Keyboard

2. Keyboard layout keeps changing layout

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keyboard layout keeps changing layout: My entire Windows is configured in English, the layout of the keyboard in Swiss-French. I speak fluently five languages between which I have to switch professionally several times during the day. I was drafting an e-mail in English and Windows kept changing the layout from...
  3. Keyboard layout keeps changing layout

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard layout keeps changing layout: My entire Windows is configured in English, the layout of the keyboard in Swiss-French. I speak fluently five languages between which I have to switch professionally several times during the day. I was drafting an e-mail in English and Windows kept changing the layout from...
  4. Changing keyboard layout.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing keyboard layout.: I want to change my keyboard to the Dvorak and/or Workman layout, but every tutorial I've seen leads me somewhere that I can't find in my computer settings. I can't find anywhere to access my keyboard layouts to change it....
  5. Keyboard Layout changes.

in Windows 10 Support
    Keyboard Layout changes.: Hi. I think I must be catching a specific key combination as frequently my " and @ keys change place. The only way I can get it back is to go to settings / advanced keyboard settings and language bar settings / Advanced Key Settings. Then set a key combination to go back to...
  6. How to change Windows 10 Keyboard Layout

in Windows 10 News
    How to change Windows 10 Keyboard Layout: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Windows 10 offers multiple keyboards, and it’s easy to add them, its important to note that you can also change Windows 10 Keyboard layout. Even though very basic, it is essential, especially when you are using a touch screen to [...] This post How to change...
  7. Windows 10 keyboard layout change error

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 keyboard layout change error: Hi, i am dealing with problem of uninvolved keyboard layout change from QUERTY to non QUERTY. After restart it's ok, but during my work keyboard suddenly change without any reason. Mainly it happens during use of office (I have 2016). When I go into setting there is no NON...
  8. keyboard layout change

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    keyboard layout change: My keyboard has again defaulted to a layout which doesn't match the keys - probably after a windows 10 update - how to correct? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/keyboard-layout-change/ba24ec7b-e85c-41ac-9179-366f2542e38c
  9. Change Keyboard Shortcuts for Narrator Commands in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Keyboard Shortcuts for Narrator Commands in Windows 10: How to: Change Keyboard Shortcuts for Narrator Commands in Windows 10 How to Change Keyboard Shortcuts for Narrator Commands in Windows 10 Narrator is a screen-reading app built into Windows 10. Narrator lets you use your PC without a display or mouse to complete...
  10. Change Keyboard Layout in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Keyboard Layout in Windows 10: How to: Change Keyboard Layout in Windows 10 How to Change Keyboard Layout in Windows 10 In Windows, you can configure your keyboard to use a different keyboard layout or input method to type in another language. The language of your keyboard layout controls the...