Windows 10: Change Network Adapter Connection Priorities in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Network Adapter Connection Priorities in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Network Adapter Connection Priorities in Windows 10 How to Change Network Adapter Connection Priorities in Windows 10 A network... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by DavidY, Aug 26, 2017.

1. DavidY Win User

Change Network Adapter Connection Priorities in Windows 10

How to: Change Network Adapter Connection Priorities in Windows 10

How to Change Network Adapter Connection Priorities in Windows 10

A network connection is a set of information that enables your computer to connect to the Internet, a network, or another computer. When you install a network adapter in your computer, Windows creates a connection for it in the Network Connections folder. A local area connection is created for an Ethernet network adapter. A wireless network connection is created for a wireless network adapter.

If a PC uses multiple network adapters (ex: Ethernet, Wi-Fi, VPN, etc..), it uses priorities to decide which adapter to use. Windows uses the Automatic Metric feature to determine the connection priorities.

A metric is a value that is assigned to an IP route for a particular network interface (aka: network adapter) that identifies the cost that is associated with using that route. For example, the metric can be valued in terms of link speed, hop count, or time delay. Automatic Metric is a new feature in Windows that automatically configures the metric for the local routes that are based on link speed. The Automatic Metric feature is enabled by default, and it can also be manually configured to assign a specific metric.

The Automatic Metric feature can be useful when the routing table contains multiple routes for the same destination. For example, if you have a computer with a 10 megabit (Mb) network interface and a 100 Mb network interface, and the computer has a default gateway that is configured on both network interfaces, the Automatic Metric feature assigns a higher metric to the slower network interface. This feature can force all of the traffic that is destined for the Internet, for example, to use the fastest network interface that is available.

The Automatic Metric feature is configured independently for each network interface in the network. This feature is useful in situations where you have more than one network interface of the same speed, for example, when each network interface has been assigned a default gateway. In this situation, you may want to manually configure the metric on one network interface, and enable the Automatic Metric feature to configure the metric of the other network interface. This setup can enable you to control the network interface that is used first in the routing of IP traffic.

In addition, the metric that is assigned to specific default gateways can be configured independently for each gateway. This setup enables a further level of control over the metric that is used for the local routes. For example, it is possible to enable the Automatic Metric feature to configure the routes that are assigned to the network interface, and at the same time to manually configure the metric that is assigned to the default gateways.

A network adapter (network interface) with a lower metric value will have a higher connection priority over network adapters with a higher metric value.

Normally, you will not need to change the metric value of a network adapter to change its connection priority unless the default connection priorities do not meet your needs.

Windows usually connects to networks in this priority order:
    1. Ethernet
    2. Wi‑Fi
    3. Cellular (mobile broadband)
    This tutorial will show you how to change network adapter connection priorities in Windows 10.

*Arrow You must be signed in as an administrator to change network adapter connection priorities.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Change Network Adapter Connection Priorities in Advanced TCP/IP Settings
    • Option Two: To Change Network Adapter Connection Priorities in PowerShell

OPTION ONE [/i] To Change Network Adapter Connection Priorities in Advanced TCP/IP Settings
    1. Open PowerShell, type the Get-NetIPInterface command into PowerShell, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

*note Make note of the metric values in the InterfaceMetric column for your network adapters (InterfaceAlias) to determine what metric value you want to use for a network adapter.

Network adapters with a lower metric value will have a higher connection priority over network adapters with a higher metric value.

Change Network Adapter Connection Priorities in Windows 10 [​IMG]

2. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type ncpa.cpl into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Network Connections.

3. Right click or press and hold on the network adapter (ex: "Wi-Fi") you want to change the connection priority for, and click/tap on Properties. (see screenshot below)

4. Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), and click/tap on the Properties button. (see screenshot below)

*note If your connection is IPv6 instead of the usual IPv4, select Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) instead.

5. Click/tap on the Advanced button. (see screenshot below)

6. Uncheck the Automatic metric box, enter a custom Interface metric number you want for this network adapter, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

*note You would want to enter a higher or lower metric value for the connection priority you want for this network adapter based on the current metric values from step 1 above.

7. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below step 5)

8. Click/tap on Close. (see screenshot below step 4)

9. When finished changing network adapter connection priorities, you can close Network Connections if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Change Network Adapter Connection Priorities in PowerShell

*note To see more usage options for the Set-NetIPInterface command, see: Set-NetIPInterface | Microsoft TechNet
    1. Open an elevated PowerShell.

2. Type the Get-NetIPInterface command into PowerShell, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

*note Make note of the interface index number (ex: "11") in the IfIndex column for the network adapter (ex: "Wi-Fi") in the InterfaceAlias column you want to change the connection priority for.

Make note of the metric values in the InterfaceMetric column for your network adapters (InterfaceAlias) to determine what metric value you want to use for this network adapter (ex: "Wi-Fi").

Network adapters with a lower metric value will have a higher connection priority over network adapters with a higher metric value.

3. Type the command below you want to use into PowerShell, and press Enter. (see screenshots below)
    (Apply to both IPv4 and IPv6 for network adapter)
    *Arrow Set-NetIPInterface -InterfaceIndex "IfIndex value" -InterfaceMetric "InterfaceMetric value"

OR

(Only Apply to IPv4 for network adapter)
    *Arrow Set-NetIPInterface -InterfaceIndex "IfIndex value" -AddressFamily IPv4 -InterfaceMetric "InterfaceMetric value"

OR

(Only Apply to IPv6 for network adapter)
    *Arrow Set-NetIPInterface -InterfaceIndex "IfIndex value" -AddressFamily IPv6 -InterfaceMetric "InterfaceMetric value"

*note Substitute IfIndex value in the commands above with the actual interface index number (ex: "11") from step 2 above for the network adapter (ex: "Wi-Fi") you want to change the connection priority for.

Substitute InterfaceMetric value in the commands above with the actual custom metric number (ex: "30") you want to use for the priority order of this network adapter (ex: "Wi-Fi"). You would want to enter a higher or lower metric value for the connection priority you want for this network adapter based on the current metric values from step 2 above.

For example:

Set-NetIPInterface -InterfaceIndex "11" -InterfaceMetric "30"

OR

Set-NetIPInterface -InterfaceIndex "11" -AddressFamily IPv4 -InterfaceMetric "30"

4. When finished changing network adapter connection priorities, you can close the elevated PowerShell window if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

DavidY, Aug 26, 2017
  2. Zaryabb Win User

Adapter priority setting unavailable in Windows 10

Hi everyone. I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and I wish to change the order of priority of my network adapters in Windows 10 but I am unable to do so. Please tell me how I can change the order of priority of my network adapters in windows 10. Thank you

Zaryabb, Aug 26, 2017
  3. rajkumarboppana0, Aug 26, 2017
  4. Lambert58 Win User

I get an error at powershell:
    Get-NetIPInterface : Invalid slass
    At line:1 char:1
    + Get-NetIPInterface
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : MetadataError: (MSFT_Net_NetIPInterface:Root/StandardCimv2/MSFT_NetIPInterface) (Get-NetIPInterface) , CimException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorID : HRESULT 0x80041010, Get-NetIPInterface

this is on my desktop, trying to change my ethernet on the comcast Assus XB3 from the 2.4 to 5.0 had to do a hard reset of routher and it wiped out my settings, difficult to get back.

Lambert58, Sep 16, 2017
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Lambert, *Smile

Go ahead and post a screenshot showing the error in PowerShell to see if anything may stand out.

Brink, Sep 16, 2017
  6. Lambert58 Win User
    I will try to do that, but I copied the above verbatim from the windows Power Shell
    Only minus the lines above iy which identified my computer as mine. But I will try to do so now.

Lambert58, Sep 16, 2017
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Sep 16, 2017
  8. Lambert58 Win User

I'm on it now, thank you Brink!
    I'll post back after I work through that.

Updated
    Reviewing the link Brink provided, found a possible answser through a link to WMI corrupt - how to reinstall/repair?

WMI corrupt - how to reinstall/repair?

sorry about the bold, cant seem to change it. there was an answer there provided by Chang Yin, which seems doable for me, but, it seems geared more for a server and I am just a a win10 desktop at home. So, did not want to run through it if not applicable, Any Thoughts?

And, Thanx again Brink, it does seem within my capabilities.

Lambert58, Sep 16, 2017
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Yep, it'll work on a home desktop PC for trying to fix a corrupt WMI. *Smile

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Change Network Adapter Connection Priorities in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Network Adapter

2. network adapter can save priority setting.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    network adapter can save priority setting.: I change my Ethernet priority to 9999 and Wifi priority to 1. it still take me to use ethernet connections. I want to use Wifi connections even my pc plug directly to wired connection....
  3. network adapter can save priority setting.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    network adapter can save priority setting.: I change my Ethernet priority to 9999 and Wifi priority to 1. it still take me to use ethernet connections. I want to use Wifi connections even my pc plug directly to wired connection....
  4. network adapter can save priority setting.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. How to change network adapter priorities on Windows 11

in Windows 10 News
    How to change network adapter priorities on Windows 11: Network adapter priorities are used by the Windows 11 device to determine the network adapter that is used to establish network and Internet connections. If a device has multiple network adapters, say multiple networking cards, VPNS, virtual machines, or a network card and a...
  6. Win 10 Network Adapter Settings-Priority

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win 10 Network Adapter Settings-Priority: I'm having a difficult time determining whether I can apply separate network connection settings to a single, standard user account. I'd like to force the priority of said user account's connection to use wi-fi rather than ethernet, which will enable me to apply separate...
  7. How to change network connection priority in Windows 10?

How to change network connection priority in Windows 10?: All the advice on line is telling me about advanced options and hitting the alt key when clicking it to give priority to a specific connectivity option. I don't see advanced options. I'm running Windows 10 Pro. A walk through would be helpful with screen shots where this...
  8. I'm not able to change the priority of my network connections.

I'm not able to change the priority of my network connections.: System: Asus X450LC - Intel i5 4200u; NVIDIA GeForce GT 720M; 6gb of RAM. Windows 10. There are two internet connections at my house: One is the usual WiFi router - the other is a WiFi Extender. I connect simultaneously to both of those connections: TO THE WIFI...
  9. How to change network connection priority in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    How to change network connection priority in Windows 10: I want to change the priority of the network connection in Windows 10 so that they follow a specific order. When I have multiple network connections, I want to change the priority so the network I prefer will be the first one to use. I tried to follow the tutorial here,...
  10. Change Wireless Network Connection Priority Order in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Wireless Network Connection Priority Order in Windows 10: How to: Change Wireless Network Connection Priority Order in Windows 10 How to Change Wireless Network Connection Priority Order in Windows 10 Windows will usually automatically connect to networks in this priority order: Ethernet Wi‑Fi (wireless) Mobile broadband...