Windows 10: Change Network Profile Name in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Network Profile Name in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Network Profile Name in Windows 10 How to Change a Network Profile Name in Windows 10 The first time that you connect to a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by WTenNewbie, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Change Network Profile Name in Windows 10

How to: Change Network Profile Name in Windows 10

How to Change a Network Profile Name in Windows 10

The first time that you connect to a network, Windows automatically creates a network profile and stores it on your computer. Your computer can then automatically connect to the network in the future, and your preferences for that network will be used.

A wireless network profile will use the SSID of the wireless network (ex: router) you connected to as the default profile name on your PC.

This tutorial will show you how to change the name of a wired (ex: Ethernet) or wireless (ex: Wi-Fi) network profile on your Windows 10 PC to any name you want.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to rename a network profile.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Rename Network Profile in Registry Editor
    • Option Two: To Rename Network Profile in Local Security Policy

EXAMPLE: Network profile name in Network and Sharing Center

Change Network Profile Name in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] To Rename Network Profile in Registry Editor
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

2. If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes.

3. Browse to the location below in Registry Editor, and expand open the Profiles key in the left pane. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles

4. Click/tap on each long GUID number subkey in the left pane, and look at its PofileName string value in the right pane until you find the one that has the network name (ex: Brink-Router2) you want to change. (see screenshot below)

5. Double click/tap on the PofileName string value to modify it. (see screenshot above)

6. Type a new name you want for the network profile, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

*note A network name cannot contain tabs or any of the following characters: \ / : * ? < > |

7. When finished, you can close Registry Editor if you like.

8. Sometimes you may need to sign out and in to fully apply the new network profile name.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Rename Network Profile in Local Security Policy

*note The Local Security Policy is only available in the Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise editions.

This option will override the name set in Option One above.
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type secpol.msc, and click/tap on OK to open Local Security Policy.

2. If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes.

3. Click/tap on Network List Manager Policies in the left pane of Local Security Policy. (see screenshot below)

4. In the right pane of Network List Manager Policies, double click/tap on the network name (ex: Brink-Router2) you want to change. (see screenshot above)

5. Select (dot) Name under the Name section, type a new name you want for the network profile, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

*note The default setting is Not configured. This will have the network name be what is set in Option One.

A network name cannot contain tabs or any of the following characters: \ / : * ? < > |

The network name you enter here is stored in the NeworkName string value in the registry key below.

Code:

6. When finished, you can close Local Security Policy if you like.

7. Sometimes you may need to sign out and in to fully apply the new network profile name.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

WTenNewbie, Mar 7, 2017
  2. Jsssssssss, Mar 7, 2017
  3. Change the Att name next to the antenna

you mean the name or network name ?the network name cant be changed the profile name can be ,go to a profile ,for example select outdoor then edit this and at the end you will get option to change profile name to whatever you choose

techbuzzireland, Mar 7, 2017
Thema:

Change Network Profile Name in Windows 10

1. Change Network Profile Name in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Network Profile

2. Changing Community profile name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing Community profile name: Why won't my profile name change? I went into my profile and altered both the username and other name, but every time I either write or respond in the comment section, it continues to show my personal name not the alias name. Oddly, the name has now changed when I log into my...
  3. Changing Community profile name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing Community profile name: Why won't my profile name change? I went into my profile and altered both the username and other name, but every time I either write or respond in the comment section, it continues to show my personal name not the alias name. Oddly, the name has now changed when I log into my...
  4. Changing Community profile name

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Change default windows profile name?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change default windows profile name?: When I reinstall window 10 it makes my profile name eg C;\Users\Radle instead of "Radley". It must be spelled wrong in my microsoft account settings, but I couldn't find it. How could I fix this on my account? I know how to fix it on my PC, but it is tedious and this is the...
  6. Change default windows profile name?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change default windows profile name?: When I reinstall window 10 it makes my profile name eg C;\Users\Radle instead of "Radley". It must be spelled wrong in my microsoft account settings, but I couldn't find it. How could I fix this on my account? I know how to fix it on my PC, but it is tedious and this is the...
  7. Change default windows profile name?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Deleting old network connections/profiles and changing the name back?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleting old network connections/profiles and changing the name back?: So I have for example "VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter #2" or "Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network) #3 in my Network adapters list in device manager. Also Microsoft Wi-FI direct Virtual Adapter #2. This makes me crazy and i want to learn how to properly arrest it...
  9. changing network profile

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    changing network profile: I want to change my network profile from public to private but I see no way to do this. Is there a way to change it and how is it done? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-network-profile/265180f8-d7e2-4bcd-a802-1efdc6ea0d66"
  10. User Profile Name Change

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User Profile Name Change: how do i change my user profile name from "quadr" to my name "Patrick"? for some reason, when i clean installed, it set up my user profile like that instead of my name... 9824