Windows 10: Change New Folder Name Template in Windows

Discus and support Change New Folder Name Template in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change New Folder Name Template in Windows How to Change Default New Folder Name Template in Windows A folder is a location where you can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by omidsolo, Nov 27, 2017.

1. omidsolo Win User

Change New Folder Name Template in Windows

How to: Change New Folder Name Template in Windows

How to Change Default New Folder Name Template in Windows

A folder is a location where you can store your files. You can create any number of folders and even store folders inside other folders (subfolders).

When you create a new folder, it is named New folder by default.

This tutorial will show you how to change the New folder name template to be able to create new folders with a custom name by default for your account in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

*note If you get a Error 0x8000FFFF: Catastrophic failure when you create a new folder after changing the default name template, then it means that you used an invalid character (ex: " or * ) in the name, and will just need to change the name again without this invalid character.

Change New Folder Name Template in Windows [​IMG]

EXAMPLE: New > Folder context menu to create "New folder"

Here's How:

1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit, and press Enter.

2. If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes.

3. In Registry Editor, browse to the key at the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\NamingTemplates

*note If you do not have a NamingTemplates key (not there by default), then right click on the Explorer key, click/tap on New, click/tap on Key, type NamingTemplates, and press Enter.

4. In the right pane of the NamingTemplates key, double click/tap on the RenameNameTemplate string value to modify it. (see screenshot above)

*note If you do not have a RenameNameTemplate value (not there by default), then right click or press and hold on an empty area in the right pane of the NamingTemplates key, click/tap on New, click/tap on String Value, type RenameNameTemplate, and press Enter.

To undo this custom New folder name template, you would just need to delete the RenameNameTemplate string value.

5. Type a name (ex: Folder) you want used by default whenever you create a "New folder", and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

6. When finished, you can close Registry Editor if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

omidsolo, Nov 27, 2017

2. Unable to change folder name

Hi,

It is unusual that the folder name gets changed to "document" automatically during the backup.

I suggest you to try the steps below and check if the issue persists.

1. Create the new folder, right click on it and select "properties".

2. Click "customize".

3. Under "optimize this folder for", select "general items" and also make sure to check the"also apply this template to all subfolder" option and save the changes.

Let us know the result.

Wungraileng Vashi, Nov 27, 2017
  3. Is it possible to create a new folder template?

First, before I get a pile of unneeded information, I already know how to change and save changes to the existing 5 templates (General, Documents, Pictures, Music, Video). I can set optimizing options and update the templates that already exist in the system.
    What I need is more template options.

What I want to know is how to create a new folder template for file explorer while still keeping the existing 5 templates intact.

Is this even possible for an end-user?

-Greg

GregorySimkins, Nov 27, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

It doesn't appear that you can. *Sad

Brink, Nov 27, 2017
Thema:

1. Change New Folder Name Template in Windows - Similar Threads - Change Folder Name

2. How to change Library folder template on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to change Library folder template on Windows 10: If you want to change the view or template of Library folders on Windows 10, then this guide will be handy for you. There is more than one method to use to get a different look for your Library folders. Library folders (Documents, Pictures, Videos, Music, etc.) come as...
  3. How to change the Music folder template

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to change the Music folder template: All the solutions on here work to an extent. They do not work if you want "Size all columns to fit" every time you open a Music folder. Can this be made to work on all Music Folders? It is really annoying having to select that option on every Music folder. Pete...
  4. built-in folder templates

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    built-in folder templates: hello, i cant find an answer to what i am trying to achieve so i'll appreciate anyone's help.. There are 5 built-in folder view templates General, document, music, videos & picture i know i can change and save the view options in these 5 templates and i found lots of...
  5. Can't rename "New Folder" or change folder name

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't rename "New Folder" or change folder name: I create a new folder. It's highlighted in blue. I start renaming and only the first character is accepted. Then I right-click and choose rename and the highlighted character(s) are selected but when I attempt to enter a new name, again only one or two characters are...
  6. Changing Built-In Folder View Templates For Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing Built-In Folder View Templates For Windows Explorer: Hi everyone, In short, Windows 10 Anniversary has some nasty Windows Explorer (aka Windows File Explorer) habits which didn't exist in previous versions, so I'm trying to find a way to work around them until Microsoft gets off its behind and fixes them. The specific...
  7. Change Copy Name Extension Template in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Copy Name Extension Template in Windows: How to: Change Copy Name Extension Template in Windows [img] Information When you copy a file or folder to the same location, a copy of that file or folder will be created with the - Copy extension at the end of the filename by default. This tutorial will show you how...
  8. Change Shortcut Name Extension Template in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Shortcut Name Extension Template in Windows: How to: Change Shortcut Name Extension Template in Windows How to Change Default Shortcut Name Extension Template in Windows 7, 8, and 10 [img] Information A shortcut is a link to an item (such as a file, folder, or app) on your PC. When you right click or press...
  9. Change Folder Template in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Folder Template in Windows 10: How to: Change Folder Template in Windows 10 How to Change the Template of a Drive, Folder, or Library in Windows 10 Windows 10 includes five built-in templates that you can select to optimize the view of your drives, folders, and libraries for General Items, Documents,...
  10. How to change the name of a new folder?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to change the name of a new folder?: When I create a new folder, I cannot rename it? Is there a magic trick to doing this? 15058

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows renamenametemplate