Windows 10: Change Offline Files Disk Usage Limits in Windows

Discus and support Change Offline Files Disk Usage Limits in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Offline Files Disk Usage Limits in Windows How to Change Offline Files Disk Usage Limits in Windows Offline Files is a feature of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by ihatemicrosoft, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Change Offline Files Disk Usage Limits in Windows

How to: Change Offline Files Disk Usage Limits in Windows

How to Change Offline Files Disk Usage Limits in Windows

Offline Files is a feature of Sync Center that makes network files available to a user, even if the network connection to the server is unavailable.

Users can use offline files (if always available offline to keep a copy of the files stored on the network on your computer. This allows users to work with them even when they are not connected to the network or a server is unavailable. The next time the user connects to the network or the server is available, their offline files on your computer will automatically sync to the network files on the server to update.

Offline files for all users on the computer are stored in the protected C:\Windows\CSC folder by default.

The size and number of your offline files determine how much hard disk space your offline files use. This includes the space used by automatically cached files and files that are specifically made always available offline. Files can be automatically cached if the user accesses a file on an automatic caching network share.

Files that were cached automatically are removed on a least-recently used basis if the maximum cache size is reached.

Files that were cached manually (always available offline) are never removed from the local cache. When the total local cache size limit is reached and all files that were cached automatically have already been removed, you can not make files available offline until you specify a new limit or delete files from the local cache by using the Offline Files control panel applet.

By default, Windows limits the space that offline files occupy to 25 percent of the total space on the drive where the Offline Files cache (ex: "C:\Windows\CSC") is located. The limit for automatically cached files (temporary files) is 100 percent of the total disk space limit.

If you like, you can specify the disk space limit (in megabytes) for offline files and also specify how much of that disk space can be used by temporary files (automatically cached files) for all users on the computer.

See also:
    This tutorial will show you how to view and change the maximum Offline Files disk usage limits for all users in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to change the offline files disk usage limits.

*note In Windows 7, the offline files feature is only available in the Professional, Ultimate, and Enterprise editions.

In Windows 8, the offline files feature is only available in the Pro and Enterprise editions.

In Windows 10, the offline files feature is only available in the Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Change Offline Files Disk Usage Limits in Sync Center
    • Option Two: Change Offline Files Disk Usage Limits via Policy in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Three: Change Offline Files Disk Usage Limits via Policy using a REG file

OPTION ONE [/i] Change Offline Files Disk Usage Limits in Sync Center
    1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the Sync Center icon.

2. Click/tap on the Manage offline files link on the left side of Sync Center. (see screenshot below)

Change Offline Files Disk Usage Limits in Windows [​IMG]

3. Click/tap on the Disk Usage tab, and click/tap Change limits button. (see screenshot below)

4. Adjust the sliders for Maximum amount of space all offline files can use and Maximum amount of space temporary files can use to the maximum percentage of total space on the drive you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

*tip You can click/tap on a slider and use the left and right arrow keys to make fine adjustments.

*note If you adjust the offline files percentage lower than the current temporary files percentage, the temporary files percentage will automatically be adjusted to be the same as offline files.

If you adjust the temporary files percentage higher than the current offline files percentage, the offline files percentage will automatically be adjusted to be the same as temporary files.

5. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] Change Offline Files Disk Usage Limits via Policy in Local Group Policy Editor
    *note If specified, this option will override Option One.
    1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. Navigate to the key below in the left pane of the Local Group Policy Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Network\Offline Files

3. In the right pane of Offline Files in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Limit disk space used by Offline Files policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (specify) or step 6 (default) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Specify Offline Files Disk Usage Limits
    A) Select (dot) Enabled. (see screenshot below)

B) In Options, enter a number in MB (Megabytes) for the Total size of offline files you want to specify.

*note If you specify a total size limit greater than the size of the drive, the total size limit is automatically adjusted downward to 75 percent of the size of the drive.

If you specify a total size limit less than the amount of space currently used by the Offline Files cache, the total size limit is automatically adjusted upward to the amount of space currently used by offline files.

C) In Options, enter a number in MB (Megabytes) for the Size of auto-cached files (temporary files) you want to specify.

*note If you specify an auto-cached space limit greater than the total size limit, the auto-cached limit is automatically adjusted downward to equal the total size limit.

D) Click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below.

6. Default Offline Files Disk Usage Limits
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

7. When finished, close the Local Group Policy Editor.

OPTION THREE [/i] Specify when Storage Sense Delete Files in Recycle Bin for All Users in Registry Editor
    *note If specified, this option will override Option One.
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

2. Navigate to the key below in the left pane of Registry Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\NetCache

*note If you do not have the NetCache key, right click on the Windows key, click/tap on New, click/tap on Key, type NetCache for the name, and press Enter.

3. Do step 4 (specify) or step 5 (default) below for what you want to do.

4. To Specify Offline Files Disk Usage Limits
    A) In the right pane of the NetCache key, double click/tap on the CacheQuotaLimit DWORD to modify it. (see screenshot below step 2)

*note If you do not have a CacheQuotaLimit DWORD, right click on an empty area in the right pane of the NetCache key, click/tap on New, click/tap on DWORD (32-bit) Value, type CacheQuotaLimit for the name, and press Enter.

B) Select (dot) Decimal, enter a number for how may MB (Megabytes) you want for the max Total size of offline files, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

*note If you specify a total size limit greater than the size of the drive, the total size limit is automatically adjusted downward to 75 percent of the size of the drive.

If you specify a total size limit less than the amount of space currently used by the Offline Files cache, the total size limit is automatically adjusted upward to the amount of space currently used by offline files.

C) In the right pane of the NetCache key, double click/tap on the CacheQuotaLimitUnpinned DWORD to modify it. (see screenshot below step 2)

*note If you do not have a CacheQuotaLimitUnpinned DWORD, right click on an empty area in the right pane of the NetCache key, click/tap on New, click/tap on DWORD (32-bit) Value, type CacheQuotaLimitUnpinned for the name, and press Enter.

D) Select (dot) Decimal, enter a number for how may MB (Megabytes) you want for the max Size of auto-cached files, click/tap on OK, and go to step 6 below. (see screenshot below)

*note If you specify an auto-cached space limit greater than the total size limit, the auto-cached limit is automatically adjusted downward to equal the total size limit.

5. Default Offline Files Disk Usage Limits
    A) In the right pane of the NetCache key, select (highlight) both the CacheQuotaLimit and CacheQuotaLimitUnpinned DWORDs. (see screenshot below step 2)

B) Right click on the selected DWORDs, and click/tap on Delete.

C) Click/tap on Yes to confirm, and go to step 6 below. (see screenshot below)

6. Close Registry Editor.

7. Restart the computer to apply.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

ihatemicrosoft, Sep 3, 2016

2. Windows 10 - offline files - missing button/functionality 'Work offline'

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Please reply with the below information to know more about the issue:

1. What happens exactly when you try to setup any Sync Center partnerships or enable offline files?

2. Are you getting any error message?

This feature is available with all editions of Windows 10. I suggest you to follow the below steps to setup any Sync Center partnerships or enable offline files and check if it helps.

To enable the offline files follow the below steps.

1. Press “Windows + X” and go to “control panel”.

2. Click on “sync center” and click on “manage offline files”.

3. Check whether it is enabled or not. In any case it is not, click
    Enable Offline Files followed by Ok. You will be asked to restart the computer.

To configure offline files to sync center follow the below steps.

1. To configure the
    Offline Files in your Windows 10 computer. The Disk Usage, Encryption, and Network tabs will help you in configuring the Offline Files.

Disk Usage - The
    Disk Usage tab will display you the amount of disk space that is presently being used and available for keeping the offline files on your PC.

To change the data limit, click on Change limits buttons.

3. An
    Offline Files Disk Usage Limits
    window will pop up in front of you. You will see two options: one for offline files and the other for temporary files. Use the slider and set your required limit. After changing the limits, click
    Ok.

4. Encryption -
    To provide more security to your offline files, you can encrypt them. Click on
    Encrypt option to encrypt your files.

5. Network -
    The description of this tab is clearly explained in the tab. You can choose and set your preferred time for checking the slow connectivity. If a slow connection is found, Windows will start working offline by itself
    and on the same hand saves the copies that you are using in network files.

Hope the information helps, if you have any further queries, feel free to post. We are here to assist you.

Regards,

Guru Kiran

Guru Kiran G, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Jelo Sen Win User
    Windows Defender

Hello John,

The error message that you are getting is related to a lot of factors. To isolate the issue, we would like you to answer the following questions:

• Have you assign a quota to your drive?
    • Are there any recent changes made on your device?
    • Which Windows 10 version and build is installed?

In the meantime, we suggest that you try the below fix and check if the issue will persist:

• Go to Manage offline files using Search or Cortana.
    • Choose Disk Usage.
    • Click on Change limit and increase All offline files and Temporary files.
    • You might need to reboot your device and check if the issue will persist.

Looking forward to your response.

Jelo Sen, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Change Offline Files Disk Usage Limits in Windows

Disk usage 100%

Hi Martin,

This issue occurs when there are several programs running on your PC. We would like to ask some questions to know the best possible resolution to offer:

• Have you tried checking if there are available updates for your Windows 10?
    • Did you try to perform a
      clean boot
      to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs?This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows 10.
    • Have you tried restarting your PC in
      Safe Mode with Networking
      to start Windows in a basic state, using a limited set of files and drivers?
    • Have you tried running the System File Checker tool to repair missing
      or corrupted system files?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done on your end?
    We also suggest that you try the resolution provided by DigitalMooney on this
    thread
    to troubleshoot disk usage issues in Windows 10.

Regards.

Nathaniel Mon, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Windows 10 Editions that Support Sync Center?

Hi Bill,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience caused to you. We will help you to resolve the issue.

Please reply with the below information to know more about the issue:

1. What happens exactly when you try to setup any Sync Center partnerships or enable offline files?

2. Are you getting any error message?

This feature is available with all editions of Windows 10. I suggest you to follow the below steps to setup any Sync Center partnerships or enable offline files and check if it helps.

To enable the offline files follow the below steps.

1. Press “Windows+X” and go to “control panel”.

2. Click on “sync center” and click on “manage offline files”.

3. Check whether it is enabled or not. In any case it is not, click
    Enable Offline Files followed by Ok. You will be asked to restart the computer.

To configure offline files to sync center follow the below steps.

1. To configure the
    Offline Files in your Windows 10 computer. The Disk Usage, Encryption, and Network tabs will help you in configuring the Offline Files.

Disk Usage -
    The Disk Usage tab will display you the amount of disk space that is presently being used and available for keeping the offline files on your PC.

To change the data limit, click on Change limits buttons.

3. An
    Offline Files Disk Usage Limits
    window will pop up in front of you. You will see two options: one for offline files and the other for temporary files. Use the slider and set your required limit. After changing the limits, click
    Ok.

4. Encryption -
    To provide more security to your offline files, you can encrypt them. Click on
    Encrypt option to encrypt your files.

5. Network -
    The description of this tab is clearly explained in the tab. You can choose and set your preferred time for checking the slow connectivity. If a slow connection is found, Windows will start working offline by itself
    and on the same hand saves the copies that you are using in network files.

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Oct 27, 2019
  6. dalchina Win User
    how to determine what's causing 100% disk usage

Considering your 2nd screenshot, assuming your Disk column is organised high to low, you have a problem with disk transfer rate- it appears to be low yet shown as 100%

There are various programs running that appear unnecessary.

Suggest you do a clean boot and compare. You should expect disk usage when idle - a few mins after boot - to be zero unless there's good reason.

Comparing your 1st and 3rd screenshots, note the max transfer rate is 10x that in the 3rd screenshot.

It's not doing an update, and not apparently a paging problem.

From that it appears you have limited disk transfer rate, and the disk activity doesn't settle to near zero.

There are several threads on the topic of limited transfer rate - here are some:
    Disk usage 100% please help Solved - Page 2 - Windows 10 Forums
    Slow internal hard drive tansfer speeds - Windows 10 Forums
    100% Disk Usage, tried some methods found online. - Windows 10 Forums

I'd suggest looking through those first, using any ideas there, keep a list of what you try, and post back with that list if you still have problems.

Please post specs of your PC. See mine for comparison.

dalchina, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Change Offline Files Disk Usage Limits in Windows

1. Change Offline Files Disk Usage Limits in Windows - Similar Threads - Change Offline Files

2. Changing Offline Files Location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing Offline Files Location: Hi all,I have some files on a network server that I would like to sync with offline files. The only problem is that the files will be stored on the local hard drive. is there any possible way to change the location of the offline files folder eg to another connected hard...
  3. Changing Offline Files Location

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing Offline Files Location: Hi all,I have some files on a network server that I would like to sync with offline files. The only problem is that the files will be stored on the local hard drive. is there any possible way to change the location of the offline files folder eg to another connected hard...
  4. Windows 10 Offline files high CPU usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Offline files high CPU usage: Hi,on my laptop, I have some folders from a network drive marked as offline files so I can have access when I am not at the office.When I start "sync all" the CPU goes up to 25% 4 core, this sounds like one core maxed out for more than an hour in today's example: 13:20 to...
  5. Windows 10 Offline files high CPU usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Offline files high CPU usage: Hi,on my laptop, I have some folders from a network drive marked as offline files so I can have access when I am not at the office.When I start "sync all" the CPU goes up to 25% 4 core, this sounds like one core maxed out for more than an hour in today's example: 13:20 to...
  6. Windows 10 Offline files high CPU usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Change Disk Usage Indicator Color

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change Disk Usage Indicator Color: Hey, I changed the icons of my drives but can't find out how I change the blue colour of the disk usage. (https://prnt.sc/w6nmki) Does anyone know how to change this colour? thanks! submitted by /u/ertopia [link] [comments]...
  8. CPU usage is limited.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    CPU usage is limited.: [ATTACH] Sometimes when i disconnect from the wifi and connect via ethernet the cpu is limited to 35%, as you can see in the image, and the computer slows down, and i have to reboot. Task manager only reaches 35% and rainmeter skin 100% When normally it's almost the same...
  9. Offline Files Disk usage

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Offline Files Disk usage: I have been doing some tests with offline files and I've run into an odd issue. I initially moved the slider for the quote to 100GB on the 256GB SSD. Somehow it have reached that quota and I can no longer sync. However, I can see my SSD only has 39GB used total! It seems...
  10. Windows limited usage

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows limited usage: I recently bought a new Alienware PC and it was working fine for a few days until earlier today I discovered I was unable to use the photos app or use the start menu/search function. I've tried just about every method under the sun, short of reinstalling my entire OS. Some...