Windows 10: Change or Restore Documents Folder Icon in Windows

Discus and support Change or Restore Documents Folder Icon in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change or Restore Documents Folder Icon in Windows How to Change or Restore Documents Folder Icon in Windows By default, your personal... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by GioXmen, Apr 23, 2016.

1. GioXmen Win User

Change or Restore Documents Folder Icon in Windows

How to: Change or Restore Documents Folder Icon in Windows

How to Change or Restore Documents Folder Icon in Windows

By default, your personal Documents folder is located in your account's %UserProfile% (ex: "C:\Users\Brink") folder.

This tutorial will show you how to change or restore the default Documents folder icon for your account in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Change Documents Folder Icon in Properties
    • Option Two: Change Documents Folder Icon in desktop.ini file
    • Option Three: Restore Default Documents Folder Icon in Properties
    • Option Four: Restore Default Documents Folder Icon in desktop.ini file

EXAMPLE: Documents folder

Change or Restore Documents Folder Icon in Windows [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Change Documents Folder Icon in Properties
    1. Open your Documents folder's current location (ex: "C:\Users\Brink") in File Explorer (Win+E). (see screenshot below)

2. Right click or press and hold on the Documents folder, and click/tap on Properties.

3. Click/tap on the Customize tab, and click/tap on the Change Icon button. (see screenshot below)

4. Follow the steps below to select an icon: (see screenshots below)

*note The %SystemRoot\System32\shell32.dll and %SystemRoot\System32\imageres.dll files contain most of Windows default icons.
    • Click/tap on the Browse button.
    • Navigate to and select the icon library (ex: .dll) or .ico file you want to use, and click/tap on Open.
    • Select the icon you want to use, and click/tap on OK.

5. Click/tap on OK to apply (see screenshot below step 3)

OPTION TWO [/i] Change Documents Folder Icon in desktop.ini file
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, copy and paste %UserProfile%\Documents\desktop.ini into Run, and click/tap on OK to open that file. (see screenshot below)

*note If you changed the default location of your Documents folder, then you will need to substitute %UserProfile%\Documents in the path above with the actual full path of your Documents folder's current location instead.

2. In the IconResource= line in the desktop.ini window, change the full path to the full path of the icon you want to use. (see screenshot below)

*note If you do not have a IconResource=<icon path> line, then you will need to add it.

3. Click/tap on File (menu bar), click/tap on Save (Ctrl+S), and close the desktop.ini window. (see screenshot below)

4. sign in to apply.

OPTION THREE [/i] Restore Default Documents Folder Icon in Properties
    1. Open your Documents folder's current location (ex: "C:\Users\Brink") in File Explorer (Win+E). (see screenshot below)

2. Right click or press and hold on the Documents folder, and click/tap on Properties.

3. Click/tap on the Customize tab, and click/tap on the Change Icon button. (see screenshot below)

4. Click/tap on the Restore Defaults button. (see screenshot below)

5. Click/tap on OK to apply (see screenshot below step 3)

OPTION FOUR [/i] Restore Default Documents Folder Icon in desktop.ini file
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, copy and paste %UserProfile%\Documents\desktop.ini into Run, and click/tap on OK to open that file. (see screenshot below)

*note If you changed the default location of your Documents folder, then you will need to substitute %UserProfile%\Documents in the path above with the actual full path of your Documents folder's current location instead.

2. In the IconResource= line in the desktop.ini window, change the full path to %SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-112. (see screenshot below)

*note If you do not have a IconResource=<icon path> line, then you will need to add it.

3. Click/tap on File (menu bar), click/tap on Save (Ctrl+S), and close the desktop.ini window. (see screenshot below)

4. sign in to apply.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

GioXmen, Apr 23, 2016

2. Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Changing and locking a custom icon to a folder?

I want to change a few folders icons and fix the icon to the folder so if its moved to other computers the icon wont change is there any way of doing this thanks,

Live OR Die, Oct 27, 2019
  4. psbecker Win User

Change Folder Icon in Windows 10

I just acquired a new laptop running Windows 10 and am trying to change the icons of the folders in the StartUp "Program" folder so that they would stand out a little better. I used my admin account and followed all the steps listed above, but when I clicked on "Apply", nothing happened. The same basic windows folder icon remained attached to the folder. I also tried to go into Properties and capitalize some of the folder names, but that didn't work either. Looks like something is protecting them, but I cannot figure out what it is much less how to get around this blockage, Any suggestions?

psbecker, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Changing and locking a custom icon to a folder?

I don't undestand what you are asking, but cool sig by the way *Rockout :rockout:

douglatins, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Brink Win User
Thema:

1. Change or Restore Documents Folder Icon in Windows - Similar Threads - Change Restore Documents

2. Default document folder restore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default document folder restore: I want to restore the default document folder on my windows 11. After I removed one drive my documents folder disapeared. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-document-folder-restore/130672cf-ecd7-4edb-8aac-8334343d79ba
  3. Default document folder restore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default document folder restore: I want to restore the default document folder on my windows 11. After I removed one drive my documents folder disapeared. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-document-folder-restore/130672cf-ecd7-4edb-8aac-8334343d79ba
  4. Change or Restore Favorites Folder Icon in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change or Restore Favorites Folder Icon in Windows: How to: Change or Restore Favorites Folder Icon in Windows How to Change or Restore Favorites Folder Icon in Windows Internet Explorer saves your favorite sites into your Favorites folder by default. By default, your personal Favorites folder is located in your...
  5. Change or Restore Videos Folder Icon in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change or Restore Videos Folder Icon in Windows: How to: Change or Restore Videos Folder Icon in Windows How to Change or Restore Videos Folder Icon in Windows By default, your personal Videos folder is located in your account's %UserProfile% (ex: "C:\Users\Brink") folder. This tutorial will show you how to change...
  6. Change or Restore Music Folder Icon in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change or Restore Music Folder Icon in Windows: How to: Change or Restore Music Folder Icon in Windows How to Change or Restore Music Folder Icon in Windows By default, your personal Music folder is located in your account's %UserProfile% (ex: "C:\Users\Brink") folder. This tutorial will show you how to change or...
  7. Change or Restore Downloads Folder Icon in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change or Restore Downloads Folder Icon in Windows: How to: Change or Restore Downloads Folder Icon in Windows How to Change or Restore Downloads Folder Icon in Windows By default, your personal Downloads folder is located in your account's %UserProfile% (ex: "C:\Users\Brink") folder. This tutorial will show you how...
  8. Change or Restore Pictures Folder Icon in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change or Restore Pictures Folder Icon in Windows: How to: Change or Restore Pictures Folder Icon in Windows How to Change or Restore Pictures Folder Icon in Windows By default, your personal Pictures folder is located in your account's %UserProfile% (ex: "C:\Users\Brink") folder. This tutorial will show you how to...
  9. Change or Restore Desktop Folder Icon in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change or Restore Desktop Folder Icon in Windows: How to: Change or Restore Desktop Folder Icon in Windows How to Change or Restore Desktop Folder Icon in Windows The desktop is the main screen area that you see after you turn on your PC and sign in to Windows. Like the top of an actual desk, it serves as a surface for...
  10. Restoring my Documents folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Restoring my Documents folder: Hello, I was just in the process of moving my Documents Library from my C drive to my D drive when I made a mistake: In the Properties window, under the location tab, I meant to create the new location D:\Documents, but instead I just left it as D:\ Now my D drive...