Windows 10: Change OS Drive Letter

Discus and support Change OS Drive Letter in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I've got a two hard drive laptop set up and I'd like the OS to be on my faster 256GB OCZ RD400 SSD but with a letter other than C: I don't care what... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by mockymock11, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Change OS Drive Letter

I've got a two hard drive laptop set up and I'd like the OS to be on my faster 256GB OCZ RD400 SSD but with a letter other than C: I don't care what letter, just not C.

My larger 1 TB drive, is what I'd like to label as C: without the operating system on it. I use DropBox with my colleagues and the CAD references look at the drive letter - so my xref files, data shortcuts, etc.c won't be found if my DropBox folder is on my D drive.

I've tried using Minipartition Toool Wizard and EasyBCD to copy the OS from one drive to another hoping it wouldn't always default to C: but it does. My laptop is set up for UEFI and GPT disks which is new to me and was quite confusing at first. I've tried using DiskPart to no luck - won't let me change the C letter. I even edited a file DOSDevices in REGEDIT - computer wouldn't boot after that...

I have not seen any way in Windows 10 to change the drive letter during set up, etc. It's always C. I even installed the OS on both drives and had a dual boot setup - but it always made the OS drive letter C and I don't want the OS on my 1 TB drive - it is noticeably slower.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks. In summary, I'd like the OS with letter D: on my 256GB RD400 SSD and DropBox on my 1 TB HD with the letter C:.

:)

mockymock11, Nov 30, 2016

2. change (HHD data storage) drive letter in Windows 10

How to change a (HDD) drive letter in Windows 10?

Hello,

I have just allocated and formatted a 2TB ( 2.5-inch) storage drive in a Dell Expiron 3668 running Windows 10 Pro.

There will be no OS installed - this is strictly a DATA drive. Nothing has been copied to it after the formatting was completed.

I neglected to choose a drive letter, so Win 7 set its default letter to G.

How can I change that (to "E"drive) ?

Thanks in advance

Archer5013, Nov 30, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Critical Process Died

Hi,

I just noticed that My OS drive letter is changed.

Inside C drive only a folder named Recovery is present.

All my OS files and folders are present in New Drive 'G'.

When i check with DISKPART> list volume command, G drive is marked as OS.

Should i have to directly change the drive letter using DISKPART tool as suggested in this link

How to Assign and Remove Drive Letter with Diskpart?

or

Some has suggested to run bootmgr.exe fix commands

Computer changed HD letter and will not Boot Solved - Page 2 - Windows 7 Help Forums

Additional Information :

////////////////////////////////////////////////

result of bcdedit command -

Windows Boot Manager

---------------------------

device partition=C :

(skipped other results here)

Windows Boot Loader

-------------------------

device partition=G :

osdevice partition=G :

(skipped other results here)

////////////////////////////////////////////////

Please suggest a right way to solve it. I don't want to loose my data or reinstall the OS.

Thanks

Praba

Prabakaran-R, Nov 30, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Change OS Drive Letter

In modern times now it's almost impossible to change the Windows OS drive letter to anything other than C: drive, and the complications arising to do so would be many. I would suggest using folder junctions instead. Let's say your CAD program uses C:\CAD_Data.

1. Move C:\CAD_Data to D:\CAD_Data. C:\CAD_Data should no longer exist.
    2. Open a Command Prompt (Admin), in the Command Prompt (Admin) window run:
    mklink /J C:\CAD_Data D:\CAD_Data
    Exit
    3. C:\CAD_Data will reappear on C: drive but the actual storage location for the data appearing there will be D:\CAD_Data

If your one drive is auto syncing, set it to auto sync with the D:\CAD_Data folder.

NavyLCDR, Nov 30, 2016
  5. hmmm,

Just tried it with a symbolic link and used /d instead of /j and it seems to be working! I was able to open a file which had numerous x-rederenced files - which it looked for on C drive and found them! Very cool!!! Thanks so much for your help - below is what happened when I tried a /J junction....

I got the Mklink set up and it looked good - files were obviously stored on D but showing up on C - similar to a shared folder appearance in Windows Explorer. But AutoCAD wasn't happy - it simply paused and wouldn't open any file that had a x-referenced file. I used rmdir to remove the link and bam, the CAD file proceeded to open. So I appreciate your help as you answered my question... But I think AutoCAD has something going on where it's confused by the mklink... I did a quick search about using AutoCAD with junctions and there ain't much on the internet that I saw... Guess I have a unique problem!

Really appreciate your help! Thanks again... oh well...

mockymock11, Dec 1, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Looks like this forum thread suggests that using MKLINK /D instead of MKLINK /J will work:
    Solved: AutoCAD 2017 - Stuck in loop saving files with X-Refs - Autodesk Community

Code: C:\WINDOWS\system32>mklink /? Creates a symbolic link. MKLINK [[/D] | [/H] | [/J]] Link Target /D Creates a directory symbolic link. Default is a file symbolic link. /H Creates a hard link instead of a symbolic link. /J Creates a Directory Junction. Link Specifies the new symbolic link name. Target Specifies the path (relative or absolute) that the new link refers to. C:\WINDOWS\system32>[/quote]

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Change OS Drive Letter

1. Change OS Drive Letter - Similar Threads - Change Drive Letter

2. USB Drive changing letter sometimes?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB Drive changing letter sometimes?: I have 7 USB thumb drives that are all set as f drives. I rotate them around for backing up. They are a mix of USB 2 and USB 3.0. Have used them with this batch file I created for years and no issues. I only use them every couple of months and they are rotated backups.All of...
  3. Drive letters changed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drive letters changed: I had to reinstall Windows 10 and after doing so the drive letters changed. What was the C: drive with the OS is now the G: drive. I have two other 300GB hard drives that are pretty old. I would like to replace them with one larger drive but I feel I should first address the...
  4. Changing OS drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Changing OS drive: So, my HDD is getting old, and I am planning maybe getting an SSD as my OS drive. I'll reset my HDD, but I just want to know how to change it over without having to pay for it again seeing as it is still the same computer. I'll then use the HDD as the one where I keep files...
  5. Change SSD drive letter

Change SSD drive letter: Spec. Win 10 ver 2004, build 19041.572 Hi. I have fitted a new 500GB SSD to my PC and 'Cloned' the old SSD to it. My problem is trying to change the new drive to C and the old drive to an unused letter. So at the moment I have 2 SSD drives that are the same, at present C...
  6. Change SSD drive letter

in Windows 10 Support
    Change SSD drive letter: Spec. Win 10 ver 2004, build 19041.572 Hi. I have fitted a new 500GB SSD to my PC and 'Cloned' the old SSD to it. My problem is trying to change the new drive to C and the old drive to an unused letter. So at the moment I have 2 SSD drives that are the same, at present C...
  7. New Disk management settings allow you to change the OS drive letter

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New Disk management settings allow you to change the OS drive letter: https://reddit.com/link/ih7rtt/video/mfb3yst4xej51/player The new "Manage Disks and Volumes" (System > Storage > Manage disks and volumes) Settings page allows you to instantly change your OS drive letter without any sort of warning. As long as you keep Settings open, you...
  8. Change drive letters assigned

Change drive letters assigned: Haven't done this in a while. Never in W-10 Want to move and reassign: On Disk 0 (F) becomes (D) 15 MB assigned by OS On Disk 1 (H) becomes (E) Second SSD drive On Disk 2 (D) becomes (F) First HDD used for storage On Disk 3 (E) becomes (G) External 1 GB for File History,...
  9. Change assigned drive letters

in Windows 10 Support
    Change assigned drive letters: Haven't done this in a while. Never in W-10 Want to move and reassign: On Disk 0 (F) becomes (D) 15 MB assigned by OS On Disk 1 (H) becomes (E) Second SSD drive On Disk 2 (D) becomes (F) First HDD used for storage On Disk 3 (E) becomes (G) External 1 GB for File History,...
  10. How to change drive letter of mirror drive

How to change drive letter of mirror drive: I have just set up a mirror drive(software RAID1) and want to change the drive letter. I am getting a message "The parameter is incorrect". I am wondering if I am stuck with the one assigned when the mirror drive was set up. 27607